Oyster mushroom production
Commercial production of oyster mushroom including season, varieties, spawn production, mushroom shed making, harvesting etc are covered
Season and Varieties
- mushroom cultivated throughout the year
- Cultivation is indoor and it requires mushroom house
- White oyster (Co-1) and Grey Oyster (M-2) are suitable for Tamil Nadu
- A thatched Shed of 16 sq.m. is required. Divide the shed into spawn running and cropping rooms
- Spawn running room: maintain 25-300C, provide ventilation, no light is required
- Cropping room: Maintain 23-250C, RH above 75-80% with moderate light and aeration.
(Digital Thermometers and Humidity meters are available in the market)
Spawn (Mushroom Seeding)
- Suitable substrate: Sorghum, Maize or, Wheat grains
- Preparation of spawn: Half cooked grains, air dried, mixed with calcium carbonate powder at 2% level, fill the grains in empty glucose drip bottles, plug with cotton and sterilize in cooker for 2 hours.
- Put the pure culture of the fungus (Procured from agriculture departments/agrl. Universities) and incubate at room temperature for 15 days. Use 15-18 days old spawn for spawning.
Preparation of Mushroom bed
- Suitable substrate: Paddy/wheat straw, sugarcane baggasse, hulled maize cobs
- Cooking of substrate: Cut into 5cm bits, soak in potable water for 5 hrs, boil water for one hour, drain the water, air dry to 65% moisture (no water drips when squeezed between hands)
- Preparation of bags:
- Use 60 ×30 cm polythene bags (both side open).
- Keep the beds moist by periodical spraying with water.
- Tie one end of bag, put two holes of 1 cm dia in the middle.
- Put handful of cooked straw in the bag to a height of 5 cm; sprinkle about 25 g of spawn.
- Layer the straw to 25 cm height. Repeat the process to get four layers of spawn and 5 layers of straw.
- Tie the mouth and arrange beds in tiers in the spawn running room.
- After 15-20 days, cut and remove the polythene bag and transfer the beds to cropping room.
- Mushroom pin heads appear on 3rd day of opening of beds and mature in 3 days.
- Harvest matured mushrooms daily or alternate days, before spraying water.
- Second and third harvest can be obtained after scraping the surface of beds after first or second harvest.
Source: TNAU Agritech Portal
A video on Mushroom Production Technology, Oyester, harvesting, infestation and building.
A video on Mushroom Production Technology, Oyster, harvesting, infestation and building.