Broilers are chickens raised specifically for meat production. Chickens are one of the most common and widespread domestic animals.
Best management practices
- Poultry house temperature: 1st week 950F is quite comfortable and reduced at the arte of 50F weekly until 700F in 6th week.
- Ventilation: Maintain good aeration, remove the ammonia (bird droppings) regularly to avoid suffocation to birds
- Lighting: 60 watt bulb for 200 sq. ft floor space
- Floor space: 1 sq. ft. per bird
- De-beaking: debeaked when 1-day old
Broiler health care
- Start with disease free chicks
- Vaccine against Marek’s disease at the hatchery
- RDVF1 at 4-5 days
- Drugs in feed to prevent coccidiosis
- Keep feed free from aflotoxin
- Cover floor with clean litter at least 3 inch deep after each cycle
- Market at 6-8 weeks old
- Feeders and waterers removed to prevent bruises during catching
- Protect the in-transit birds from extreme weather
Some of the private companies involved in contract faring of broilers are Suguna, Coimbatore, VHL, Pune, Pioneer, Bromark etc.
For details regarding -
- Availability of good breeds
- Requirements and Making of poultry sheds
- Feeding of poultry
- Production of healthy birds
Please contact nearest Veterinary Clinics or Department of Agriculture/veterinary sciences or Krishi Vignan Kendras.