Apply online for Passport
This section covers information about passport application process that could be used as an advisory.
Passport Seva Project
The Passport Seva Project was launched by the Ministry of External Affairs with the objective of delivering Passport Services to the citizens in a comfortable environment with wider accessibility and reliability. The project envisages setting up of Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs) across the country, a Data Centre and Disaster Recovery Centre, Call centre operating in multiple Indian languages, and a centralized nationwide computerized system for issuance of passports.
With the implementation of the Passport Seva Project, Passport Seva Kendras are working as extended arms of Regional Passport Offices. An applicant may ascertain the jurisdiction of Regional Passport Office and Passport Seva Kendra before submitting an application.
Visit Passport Seva Project for more information.
For issue of fresh passport and reissue of passport, you need to fill the application form online via e-Form Submission (preferred) or via Online Form Submission. Apart from this applicant can submit the application form directly in the respective CPO/passport office/ Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/District Passport Cell (DPC)/Speed post centres.
The various passport services are:
- Issue of Fresh Passport: You can apply for fresh passport if applying for the first time.
- Reissue of Passport: You can apply for reissue of passport if you want another passport in lieu of an existing passport for any of the following reasons:
- Change in existing personal particulars.
- Validity expired within 3 years/ Due to expire.
- Validity expired more than 3 years ago.
- Exhaustion of pages.
- Damaged passport.
- Lost passport.
Liberalization of Police Verification procedure for passport issuance
Police Verification (PV) has been an integral part of Passport issuance process since its inception. The modalities of police verification have undergone various changes from time to time, whereas the principles have remained the same i.e., ascertaining the applicant’s identity, citizenship and absence of criminal antecedents.
In order to further improve and liberalize Police Verification procedure for passport issuance, the Government has decided that henceforth normal passport applications of all first time applicants furnishing Aadhaar, Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC), Permanent Account Number (PAN) Card and an affidavit in the format of Annexure-I will be processed on Post-Police Verification basis, enabling faster issue of passport, without payment of any additional fees, subject to successful online validation of Aadhaar number. In addition, EPIC and PAN card may also be validated, if required, from the respective databases.
In addition to the above, Ministry has also launched mPassport Police App for speedy submission of Police Verification Report (PVR). The App would facilitate the field level verification officers to directly capture the PV report into the system digitally. With the launch of this App, the need to download and print the physical Personal Particulars Form and questionnaire would no longer be required resulting in paperless end-to-end digital flow of the PV process, further reducing the time required for completion of PVR, within the desired time limit of 21 days.
Source : Ministry of External Affairs
Under Passport Seva, new measures and procedures have been introduced in order to improve governance in Passport Offices. The new measures and procedures are aimed at ensuring citizens' comfort, improvement in delivery of passport services, transparency and enhanced security. Applicants are now required to present themselves at the respective Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) for enabling the Passport Issuing Authority to obtain applicants' photographs, biometrics and granting decision in their presence.
Online application and Appointment
The Online Appointment system has been introduced to ensure avoiding congestion at the Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs) and cutting down the waiting time for applicants. Appointment date/time will be automatically allotted by the system as per the availability of appointment slots at the desired PSK.
Easy steps to be followed for online application and appointment
- Online registration, filling up and submitting online application form, (alternatively, download e-form, fill up and upload the same at the Online Portal)
- Fix the Schedule (Online Appointment Booking instruction ) for an appointment and visit a Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) for completing the process. To know the appointment availability for the passport office of your choice, click here.
- Following steps may be followed to obtain and manage appointment:
- Step 1: Visit the website passportindia.gov.in;
- Step 2: Register ‘user name’ and assign a ‘password’;
- Step 3: Log in using your ‘user name’ and ‘password’;
- Step 4: Fill online application form as the case may be and submit online (alternatively, download e-form, fill up and upload the same at the portal). Uploading of documents is optional;
- Step 5: Now take an appointment to visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra (appointments are released region-wise). It is advised that the citizen should be ready with step ‘1’ to ‘4’ above before the ‘appointment release time’. As soon as appointments are released (please see region-wise timings), they should click on ‘Schedule Appointment’ link to book the appointment. Appointment will be automatically booked and allocated to you if available.
To view with screenshots, click here.
Note: Prior payment of passport service fee has been mandatory for booking appointments at PSKs. For this purpose, the Online Payment feature has been introduced through the Passport Seva Online Portal. Online Payment can be made using any one of the following modes:
- Credit/Debit Card (MasterCard & Visa)
- Internet Banking (State Bank of India(SBI) and Associate Banks Only)
- SBI Bank Challan
Payment Through Credit/Debit Card
To pay using Credit/Debit Card OR Internet Banking, following steps may be followed
Step 1. Click the “Schedule Appointment” link, select the appointment quota (i.e. Tatkaal Quota or Normal Quota (required only for Tatkaal ARN cases)), select the desired Passport Seva Kendra, and click the Next>> button.
Step 2. Click the Pay and Book Appointment button to redirect t State Bank of India’s Multi Option Payment System (MOPS)
Step 3. Select the Mode of Payment (NET BANKING or CARD PAYMENTS), follow the instructions and make payment. Please do not click the Back button or refresh the page, as this may lead to failure of transaction.
Step 4. Once the payment is successful, an appointment will be booked automatically for the selected Passport Seva Kendra and the “Appointment Confirmation” screen of PSP Portal will be displayed.
Step 5. Take a printout of the Application (ARN) Receipt, and carry it along while visiting the Passport Seva Kendra on the given appointment date/time.
Visit passportindia.gov.in for more information about e-Form and it's submission.
To pay using a Challan
Step 1. Generate and print SBI Bank Challan through the “Pay using Challan” link.
Step 2. Submit the Challan along with indicated application fee at the nearest SBI branch after at least three hours of Challan generation.
Step 3. Payment will be reflected after at least two working days of depositing the fee in the SBI branch. Click the “Track Payment Status” link to track Payment Status.
Step 4. If Payment Status is displayed as Success, click the “Schedule Appointment” link to schedule an appointment.
Step 5. Select the Appointment Quota (ie. Tatkaal Quota or Normal Quota (required only for Tatkaal ARN cases)), select the desired Passport Seva Kendra, and click the Book Appointment button. An appointment (if available) will be booked automatically for the selected Passport Seva Kendra.
Step 6. Take a printout of the Application (ARN) Receipt, and carry it along while visiting the Passport Seva Kendra on the given appointment date/time.
Note: Applicants applying under Tatkaal need to pay only the fee as applicable under Normal Category while making Online Payment. The balance fee as applicable for Tatkaal will be payable in “Cash” at Passport Seva Kendra/ Passport Office, once Tatkaal application is accepted by Passport Officials.
Online Payment will remain valid for one year from the first appointment date. The paid fee will be forfeited if applicants do not submit application at PSK within this period.
No claim for refund, return or exchange of fee will be entertained for passport related services. In case of multiple payments for the same ARN, for Passport related services including miscellaneous services, the claims for refund will be dealt with as per extant policy governing them.
Reschedule/Cancel an Appointment
An applicant will be able to cancel/reschedule the appointment only twice within one year of first appointment date. System will not allow booking of online appointment for that ARN once two reschedule options are exercised or first appointment was scheduled more than one year ago.
Take printout of Application Reference Number (ARN) and visit the PSK at the given appointment Date/Time along with a copy of the printed ARN;
Step 1: Visit the Passport Seva Kendra with requisite original documents and their photocopies. Photograph is not required. The list of requisite documents is available at the website;
Step 2: Applicants who, despite appointment, have been “refused token” due to non-availability of required set of documents can re-visit the same PSK as “Walk-IN”, within next 3 working days from the date of appointment and as per the time mentioned in the appointment slip. On-line appointment is not mandatory for these applicants;
Step 3: Some categories are allowed as Walk-in applicants and obtaining online appointment is not mandatory. [Please see below: - Walk-in Appointments with online Registration]
Step 4: In case you are unable to secure appointment or don’t fall under Walk-in category, you may visit concerned Passport Office for submission of manual passport application form if permitted by the concerned RPO
[Please refer the section Manual Submission of Applications that is given below].
Alternatively RPO may consider giving staggered appointments keeping in view the load/capacity at the respective PSK under their jurisdiction. Tatkaal and other urgency applications will be given preference in allotting appointments through this route. Such applicants should fill-up the application online, generate 'Application Reference Number' and visit RPO along with printed copy of 'ARN Sheet';
Walk-in Appointments with Online Registration:
In order to facilitate submission of passport applications at Passport Seva Kendras, some types of services such as ‘Tatkaal’ and issuance of Police Clearance Certificates and some categories of applicants such as senior citizens, minors and differently-abled persons are allowed to submit their duly registered online applications with ARN number as Walk-in applicants. Applicants falling under these categories are also required to register their applications online and obtain ARN number and visit the nearest Passport Seva Kendra at their convenience (no prior appointment required). In addition, applicants should also refer to any advisory issued by the concerned Passport Offices from time to time.
Currently, online application for Passport Seva Kendra is available for these cities and an applicant may confirm the jurisdiction of Regional Passport Office and Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) before submitting an application.
Andaman and Nicobar
Note - Under the new system, it is mandatory for all applicants, including infants, to be physically present at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) to give their biometrics (fingerprints) and photographs.
For More information about the Passport offices visit Passportindia.gov.in
Note - Under the new system, it is mandatory for all applicants, including infants, to be physically present at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) to give their biometrics (fingerprints) and photographs.
Fee for Passport
Applicants applying under Tatkaal service need to pay only the fee as applicable under the Normal service while making Online Payment. The balance fee as applicable for Tatkaal will be payable in cash at Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Passport Office, once Tatkaal application is accepted by Officials. Online Payment will remain valid for one year from the first appointment date.
Details of payment of fee may be mentioned in the relevant boxes in the application form at the time of filling. Mentioned detail in the table is applicable for Normal category only. If the application for a new passport is made under Tatkaal scheme, tatkaal fee is to be paid in addition to the application fee mentioned in table.ATM facility is available in PSKs for all Bank Cards
Fresh Passport (36 pages) of 10 years validity
Fresh Passport (60 pages) of 10 years validity.
Fresh Passport for Minors -below 15 years of Age
Duplicate Passport (36 pages) in lieu of lost, damaged or stolen passport.
Duplicate Passport (60 pages) in lieu of lost, damaged or stolen passport.
Police Clearance Certificate/ECNR/Additional Endorsements.
In case of Change of Address, Name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Appearance, Spouse Name, Name of Parents/Legal Guardian-Delete Ecr/Change in personal particular
1,500/- [Fresh passportbooklet will be issued]
Visit Fee Calculator for Passport Seva for more detail about the fee structure under different categories
Manual Submission of Applications
As an interim measure, in order to address rising demand for passport services, Passport Offices may also allow manual submission of applications at Passport Offices. Applicants should refer to advisories and notifications issued by concerned Passport Office from time to time.
The procedures and modalities for acceptance of applications for passport services are as under:
A. For manual submission of passport application form, an applicant is required to visit Passport Office in person with duly filled in passport application form, a complete set of self-attested copy of requisite documents and original thereof along with a recent colour photograph of the size 4.5 cm X 3.5 cm with white background. Applicant will have to submit application with requisite fees. Further details as well as the prescribed application form could be obtained from the website: www.passportindia.gov.in.
B. Official at the DPC counter will verify the application form, photograph and the documents. Once the same are successfully verified and found to be complete in all respects, pay the fees in form of Demand Draft (DD).
C. Collect the Acknowledgment Letter after fee submission which contains a File Number. This file number can be used later for tracking the file status using the "Track Application Status" link on the Home page of Passport Seva Portal.
For instructions on each field in the passport application form, please refer to the Instructions Booklet attached with the form or Click here to download the instructions booklet.
Source : Website of Passport Seva
Online NRI Passport Application
This facility is available for Non-Resident Indians (NRI) to apply for Passport online at various Indian Missions or Posts. Services such as fresh Passport, reissue of Passport, new Passport in lieu of damaged/lost Passport, children Passport, etc. can be availed through this service. Users can fill the online form by providing information such as name of the mission, personal details, family details, previous Passport information, etc. Option to reprint the registered users’ application form is also available. To access the service, visit http://passport.gov.in/nri/.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My passport expired 4 years ago. Can it be reissued? What is the procedure to re-issue it?
You have to fill up the Passport Application Form and apply for "Re-issue of Passport". You can submit the filled in application form at a PSK with in the jurisdiction of your Passport Office. You must carry original and self attested photocopy of your expired passport and proof of your address. Fresh police verification is initiated if the passport has expired more than three years ago. Hence, fresh police verification will be required in your case.
2. I'm 25 now, but my last passport was issued when I was 15. What should I do?
You need to apply for "Re-issue" of passport
3. What is the definition of damaged passport?
-Damaged passport is classified further based on the extent of damage, i.e.:
- Damaged Passport - Passport number is readable, name is legible and Photo is intact
- Damaged beyond recognition/ mutilated/smudged entries/washed out
4. What is the procedure to apply for duplicate passport in case of lost or damaged passport?
- To apply for duplicate passport in case of lost or damaged passport, you have to fill the Passport Application form and apply for "Re-issue" of passport.
Q6. What do I do if I lose my passport?
- Loss of passport should be immediately reported to the nearest Police Station and to the Passport Office or Indian Mission, if abroad. You can apply for "Re-issue" of passport at your nearest PSK and submit the required documents along with your passport application form.
Q7. I lost my passport recently. I've applied for a duplicate passport. I want to know if the new passport will have the same number as my old passport, or a new number?
- The new passport will have a new passport number, with a fresh validity of 10 years.
Q8. What can I do if I have lost my passport and have to travel to India urgently due to an emergency like serious illness or death in the family?
- You need to contact the respective Indian Mission/Post to apply for issuance of another Passport. An Emergency Certificate (EC) may also be issued for returning to India after verification of Indian nationality/origin/particulars.
Q9. I am an Indian living abroad. I lost my Indian passport but I don't have photocopy of the same. What should I do?
- Photocopy of the old passport is not a mandatory document to be submitted in case of lost/damaged/stolen passport. It should be produced, if it is available. But you will be required to produce, the previous passport details like Passport number, date of issue, date of expiry and place of issue, while filling the passport application form. If you do not have that information, then contact the respective Indian mission/post in that country.
Q10. My passport is nearly full but is valid for another 4 years, is it possible to add extra pages?
- Additional pages are not added to a passport booklet. If the pages in the passport booklet have exhausted, you need to apply for "Re-issue" of passport and submit the filled in application form at your nearest PSK. A new passport booklet would be issued to you.
Q11. My passport will expire in 2 years. What should I do?
- You can apply for a re-issue of passport up to 1 year before the expiry or within three years after the expiry of the existing passport without fresh police verification, provided there is no change in personal particulars and there is clear police report with respect to your previous passport and there is no adverse entry in the system. You can also apply for re-issue of passport if your previous passport expired more than three years ago, but fresh police verification would take place.
Q12. My appearance has changed. What should I do? OR What is the procedure to change photograph of a child in the passport?
- To change the photograph in the passport, you have to apply for "Re-issue" of passport.
Q13. I recently got married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport?
- To change the name in the passport, you have to apply for a "Re-issue" of passport and get the specified change done in the personal particulars.
Q14. I am a married lady and want to apply for a fresh passport. I am unable to provide the prescribed marriage certificate or joint affidavit due to marital discord or separation. What should I do?
- Such applicants have to submit an Affidavit sworn before First Class Judicial Magistrate or Executive Magistrate on Non-Judicial stamp paper as per specimen provided in Annexure 'K': Section G of the passport instruction booklet.
Q15. My name has changed. Can I travel in my previous name? Otherwise how do I change the name on my passport?
- It is not advisable to travel in your previous name. To change your name in the passport, you have to apply for "Re-issue" of passport.
Q16. What documents are required when there is a change in name on account of divorce?Following additional documents have to be submitted:-
- Court certified copy of Divorce Decree or self attested copy of Divorce certificate.
- Deed Poll or Sworn Affidavit as per Annexure "E" given in the Passport Instruction booklet.
To check the complete list of documents to be submitted along with the application form, please click on"Documents Required" link on Home page of http://passportindia.gov.in/.
Q17. There is a mistake in the spelling of my name OR Date of Birth (DOB) in the passport. What can I do?
- If you find any mistake/error in the particulars printed in the passport booklet as per the application form submitted, please return the passport for necessary rectification. Any additional fees required to be paid would depend solely on merit of the case as decided by the Assistant Passport Officer /Passport Issuing Authority. If there is a misrepresentation of facts, then penalty could also be imposed.Q.18 If the applicant changes his/her name from:
- Sandeep Sharma to Sandeep Kumar Sharma
- Sandeep Kumar to Sandeep Sharma
- Ritu to Ritu Thakur
The above change would be considered a major change or a minor change in name?
- Minor change in name - change in name because of spelling discrepancy between passport and documents which phonetically do not result in total change in name. Major change in name - Cases other than minor change in name. In Case 1 and Case 2, it is a major change in name. In Case 3, if change in name is due to marriage then it falls in the category "Change in name due to marriage". If change in name is not due to marriage, it is a major change in name.
Q19. How do I change the address on my passport?
- To change the address in the passport, you have to apply for a "Re-issue" of passport and get the specified change done in the personal particulars.
Q20. Can I apply for change in my gender or change in father's/mother's name in the passport? What additional documents do I have to submit?
- To change your gender or your father's/mother's name, you have to apply for a "Re-issue" of passport and get the specified change done in personal particulars.
Q21. I am travelling very soon. How can I get a passport urgently?
- You can apply under the Tatkaal scheme, if you are eligible and have to pay the additional Tatkaal fee of Rs. 2,000. You must submit a Verification Certificate (as per Annexure "F") or 3 out of 16 documents along with Standard Affidavit (as per Annexure "I"). To check the eligibility under the Tatkaal scheme, please refer Section D: Table 2 "List of Applicant Categories and Documents to be submitted" of the instruction booklet. To check the complete list of documents to be submitted along with the application form, please click on"Documents Required" link on Home page (http://passportindia.gov.in/).
Q22. Is Tatkaal Passport Process is same as Normal Passport Process?
- Under the Tatkaal scheme, an applicant needs to submit additional documents and additional fees along with his/her application form. Also, police verification will be done after the issuance of passport.
Q23. I shifted to Delhi 7 months back from Bangalore. I want to apply for a passport. Can I apply for a passport at Passport Office, Delhi? If so, please let me know the procedure.
- Yes, you can apply at any PSK within the jurisdiction of Passport Office Delhi. For this purpose, you have to fill Passport Application form and submit the required documents. Since, you have stayed at your present address for less than one year, please mention your previous address in the Supplementary form.
Q24. Can an Indian passport be issued to applicants born outside India?
- Indian passport can be issued to the "Citizen of India by Descent" i.e. person born to Indian parent(s) outside India.
Q25. Explain citizenship of India by birth, descent, registration, naturalization.
-Citizen of India by birth: You are Citizen of India by birth if you are born in India.
Citizen of India by descent: You are Citizen of India by descent if you are born outside India and either of your parents is a citizen of India at the time of your birth.
Citizen of India by registration/naturalization: You are Citizen of India by Registration/Naturalization if you have been granted Indian Citizenship by Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Govt of India.
Q26. What do I do if I have a Court Case against me?
- If a criminal case is pending against you in any court, you can be issued a passport subject to the condition that you enclose a written permission by the court allowing you to travel abroad. Normally a short validity passport valid for one year is issued, subject to conditions if any, mentioned in the Court order as per GSR 570 (E) dated 25 August, 1993.
Q27. I am a pensioner or have a senior's card; can I have a senior's passport?
- Separate senior's passport is not issued to a senior citizen. They can apply for an ordinary passport with a validity of 10 years. Senior Citizens can be issued a passport on post police verification basis if they submit copy of child's (Age greater than 18) passport, who is staying abroad (with page having parent's name) as an additional document along with their application form.
Q28. Do I need to carry photographs of my 3 months old child while visiting the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)/Passport Office (PO)?
- Minor applicants below the age of 4 years need to carry a passport size photograph for the processing of application at the PSK/PO. For applicants above the age of 4 years, photographs will be captured at the PSK/PO itself.
Q29. What is the definition of minor for issue of passport?
- Applicants less than 18 years of age are considered as minor for issuance of passport.
Q30. I have a one-month old baby? Does the baby require a separate passport or his/her name can be endorsed in one of the parents passport?
- Endorsement of child's name in parent's passports is not allowed anymore. As per the amended instructions , a minor should have a separate passport.
Q31. We are planning to apply for passports for our kids (minors). Is it necessary that my name should be included in my wife's passport?
- If either parent of a minor holds a valid passport with spouse name endorsed, passport will be issued to the minor without any police verification. Original passport of parent(s) should be presented for the verification of particulars. If parent(s) hold a valid passport, but spouse name is not endorsed, then they must get the spouse name added in their passport. For this, they have to apply for re-issue of passport and get the specified change done in personal particulars. Thus, it is necessary that spouse name should be endorsed on the parent's passport.
Q32. Is it necessary that both parents should have passport before applying for their child's passport?
- It is not necessary that both parents should have a passport before applying for their child's passport. The advantage of either parent holding a valid passport with spouse name endorsed is that it exempts their child from the Police Verification process.
Q33. I am a minor who is 16 years old. Is it possible for me to obtain a full validity passport of 10 years?
- Minors between 15 to 18 years of age can apply either for a 10-year validity passport or they can apply for a passport, which is valid till they attain the age of 18 years. Fee for a 10-year validity passport is higher than fee for a passport, which is valid till they attain the age of 18 years. A 10-year validity passport cannot be issued to applicants without police verification on submission of parent's passport. If passport is required on an urgent basis, they can apply under Tatkaal scheme.
Q34. What would be the validity of a minor's passport?
-The validity of a minor's passport is restricted to five years or till they attain the age of 18, whichever is earlier. But the minors aged between 15 to 18 years can apply either for a 10-year validity passport or for a passport which is valid till they attain the age of 18 years. Different fees are applicable depending upon which category they are applying for.
Q35. If parents have passport with adverse Police Verification Report or they have a criminal background, can passport be issued to minor on an urgent basis?
- In such cases, minors can be issued passport under Tatkaal scheme subject to the approval of the RPO / Competent Authority.
Source Website of Passport Seva