Register your name in Electoral Roll
This section covers information related to offline and online registration in Electoral Rolls.
Election Commission of India (ECI)
Election Commission of India is a permanent Constitutional Body. The Election Commission was established in accordance with the Constitution on 25th January 1950. The Constitution of India has vested in the Election Commission of India the superintendence, direction and control of the entire process for conduct of elections to Parliament and Legislature of every State and to the offices of President and Vice-President of India.
Voters’ Participation in the democratic and electoral processes is integral to the successful running of any democracy and the very basis of wholesome democratic elections. Recognizing this, Election Commission of India, in 2009, formally adopted Voter Education and Electoral participation as an integral part of its election management.
Who can become a voter?
- Every Citizen who is 18 years old on the qualifying date (1st January of the concerned year, unless disqualified is eligible to be enrolled)
- Enrollment only at ordinary place of residence.
- Enrollment only at one place.
- Overseas Indian deemed to be ordinarily resident at address given in passport.
- Service Voters deemed to be ordinarily resident at their home address.
The names of eligible electors ordinarily residing in an assembly constituency, are enlisted in the voters list by the registering authority, these lists are called Electoral Roll of that constituency.
Registration of name in Electoral Roll
One has to file the application for the purpose, in prescribed Form 6, before the Electoral Registration Officer / Assistant Electoral Registration Officer of the constituency within which the place of ordinary residence of the applicant falls. The application accompanied by copies of the relevant documents can be filed in person before the concerned Electoral Registration Officer / Assistant Electoral Registration Officer or sent by post addressed to him/her or can be handed over to the Booth Level Officer of the respective polling area, or can even be filed online on website of Chief Electoral Officer of the concerned state or website of Election Commission of India. While filing Form 6 online, the copies of necessary documents should also be uploaded.
The options for an eligible voter to submit Form 6 are as follows.
Option I - Online application
Apply online for new registration. - Application for Inclusion of Name in Electoral Roll for First time Voter OR on Shifting from One Constituency to Another Constituency. The documents required to be uploaded are
- One recent passport size coloured photograph
- Proof of residence (such as Aadhaar, driving license, passport, bank pass book, any postal letter received in your name on your address etc). In case you are a student residing in a Hostel of your University / Institute or elsewhere (e.g. PG) etc, then please get a Declaration in the proforma at Annexure One (click here also) to Form 6.
- Proof of age, such as birth certificate, school leaving certificate etc. However this is only required if you are between 18 and 21 years of age.
Also, you can use Voter Helpline App to verify your name in Electoral Roll or register online.
Option II - Download Form 6 from the website and send it by post.
Fill two copies of Form 6. This form is also available free of cost in offices of Electoral Registration Officers / Assistant Electoral Registration Officers and Booth Level Officers. The application accompanied by copies of the relevant documents can be filed in person before the concerned Electoral Registration Officer / Assistant Electoral Registration Officer or sent by post addressed to him or can be handed over to the Booth Level Officer of your polling area.
Call 1950 for any help (Please add your STD code before 1950).
Proof of age
There are many suggested documents suggested for submission of proof of age. You can choose any one of the following:-
Proof of residence
There are many documents suggested to prove your place of residence and you can choose any one of the following:-
Deletion of name or Correction, if required
If you have already registered as a voter, election commission of India provides the other facilities to voter in case he/she has shifted to other polling, name correction transposition of entry in electoral rolls and including service voter facility also.
1. Application for deletion of name
- If a voter has shifted to other polling area or constituency or they have died or wrong entry have been done then you can submit application for their name deletion using Form 7.
2. Application for Name Correction
- If there is an error in (i.e., any mistake in Name, Father’s Name or age) in electoral rolls or in your Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC) then you can submit application to do necessary correction
- Use Form No. 8 to modify the wrong entry
- Submit Xerox copy of birth certificate as a proof of identity
- Correction of entries in electoral roll- Application for correction to particulars entered in electoral roll
3. Application for transposition of entry in electoral rolls
- If your house has been shifted in other polling area or constituency, then there is need to transposition your entry in the electoral roll of that area
- Use Form No. 8A for this purpose
- Enclose Xerox copy of address proof (i.e., Current Passbook of Bank/Post office or Ration card/Passport/Driving License/Income Tax Assessment order or latest Water/Telephone/Electricity/Gas connection bill for that address (either in the name of the applicant or that of his/her parents name, etc.) or Postal department’s posts received/delivered in the applicant’s name at the given address
- Application for transposition of entry in electoral roll (in case of Shifting from One Place of Residence to Another Place of Residence within Same Constituency )
- For inclusion of names -Form No. 6
- For inclusion of names for overseas electors Form- 6A
- For any objection on inclusion of names Form- 7
- For correction of entries in the Electoral Rolls Form- 8
- For transposition of entry in electoral roll Form- 8A
- Appointment of proxy by classified service voter to give vote / Revocation of appointment of proxy or Appointment of substitute proxy by classified service voter to give vote. Form- 13F & G
Check your name in Electoral Rolls
- Search the name in Electoral List - Using the National Voter Service Portal
- Use Voter Helpline App to verify your name in Electoral Roll or register online.
- Visit https://electoralsearch.in/ to see if you are registered to vote.
- Call 1950 for any help (Please add your STD code before 1950).
Every State Election Commission has made available “Electoral Rolls” online for public use. You can search yours and your family members name in electoral rolls, whether that has included or not.
Select your state to search your name in Electoral Rolls and for other information
Grievance redressal mechanisms
If you have any grievance in regard to electoral roll, Electors Photo Identity Card or any other election related matter you may approach following Officers:-
- Chief Electoral Officer---At the State Level
- District Election Officer---At the District Level
- Returning Officer ---At the Constituency Level
- Assistant Returning Officer---At Taluka/Tahsil Level
- Electoral Registration Officer---At the Constituency Level
- Presiding Officer--- At Polling Station
- Zonal Officer ---For a group of Polling stations
Detailed addresses are available on the websites of the CEOs of respective States/UTs and website links are given in table.
During every election, the Commission appoints observers who are senior civil service officers from outside the state. If you have any grievances or problems, you should approach them.
Source: Portal Content Team