This topic provides a brief introduction about the Digital India programme.
Digital India is a programme to transform India into digital empowered society and knowledge economy. The Digital India is transformational in nature and would ensure that Government services are available to citizens electronically. It would also bring in public accountability through mandated delivery of government’s services electronically, a Unique ID and e-Pramaan based on authentic and standard based interoperable and integrated government applications and data basis. The programme will be implemented in phases from the current year till 2018.
The vision is centred on three key areas
- Digital infrastructure as Utility to Every Citizen
- Governance and services on demand
- Digital empowerment of citizens
Digital Infrastructure as Utility to Every Citizen
- Availability of high speed internet as a core utility for delivery of services to citizens.
- Cradle to grave digital identity that is unique, lifelong, online and authenticable to every citizen.
- Mobile phone and Bank account enabling citizen participation in digital and financial space.
- Easy access to a Common Service Centre.
- Shareable private space on a public Cloud.
- Safe and secure Cyber-space.
Governance and Services on Demand
- Seamlessly integrated across departments or jurisdictions.
- Services availability in real time from online and mobile platforms.
- All citizen entitlements to be available on the Cloud to ensure easy access.
- Government services digitally transformed for improving Ease of Doing Business.
- Making financial transactions above a threshold, electronic and cashless.
- Leveraging GIS for decision support systems and development.
Digital Empowerment of Citizens:
- Universal digital literacy.
- All digital resources universally accessible.
- All Government documents/ certificates to be available on the Cloud.
- Availability of digital resources / services in Indian languages.
- Collaborative digital platforms for participative governance.
- Portability of all entitlements for individuals through the Cloud.
Scope of Digital India
The overall scope of this programme is
- To prepare India for a knowledge future.
- On being transformative that is to realize IT (Indian Talent) + IT (Information Technology) = IT (India Tomorrow).
- Making technology central to enabling change.
- On being an Umbrella Programme – covering many departments.
- The programme weaves together a large number of ideas and thoughts into a single, comprehensive vision, so that each of them is seen as part of a larger goal. Each individual element stands on its own, but is also part of the larger picture.
- The weaving together makes the Mission transformative in totality.
Nine pillars of Digital India
Digital India aims to provide the much needed thrust to the nine pillars of growth areas, namely
- Broadband Highways
- Universal Access to Mobile Connectivity
- Public Internet Access Programme
- e-Governance: Reforming Government through Technology
- e-Kranti - Electronic Delivery of Services
- Information for All
- Electronics Manufacturing
- IT for Jobs
- Early Harvest Programmes
To Know more about Nine pillars of Digital India Click Here