FAQs on United Payment Interface
This topics provides information about FAQs on FAQs on United Payment Interface.
Difference between UPI and IMPS
How is UPI different from IMPS?
- Provides for a P2P Pull functionality
- Simplifies Merchant Payments
- Single APP for money transfer
- Single click two factor authentication.
A.Does a customer need to register before remitting funds using UPI?
Yes, a customer needs to register with his/her PSP before remitting funds using UPI and link his accounts.
B. Does the customer need to register a beneficiary before transferring funds through UPI? What details of beneficiary will be required?
No, registration of Beneficiary is not required for transferring funds through UPI as the fund would be transferred on the basis of Virtual ID/ Account+IFSC / Mobile No+MMID / Aadhar Number. (Please check with your PSP and Issuing bank with regard to the services enabled on the App).
Bank account for Linking
A.Does customer need to have a bank account or this can be linked to a card or wallet?
No, customer cannot link a wallet to UPI, only bank accounts can be added.
B. Can I use more than one UPI application on the same mobile if they are linked to different bank accounts?
Yes, one can use more than one UPI application on the same mobile and link both same as well as different accounts.
A.Does the beneficiary also have to register for UPI for receiving funds?
In case of Virtual ID transaction, the beneficiary needs to have a Virtual ID and in turn be registered with UPI but in case of Account+IFSC or Mobile+MMID, Aadhar number, the beneficiary need not be registered for UPI. (Please check with your PSP and Issuing bank with regard to the services enabled on the App)
In case mobile lost
A.What happens if my mobile phone is lost?
In case of mobile loss, one needs to simply block his mobile number thus no transaction can be initiated from the same mobile number which is a part of device tracking and at the same time MPIN would be required for any transaction which is not to be shared with anyone.
More than one bank account
A.Can I link more than one bank account to the same virtual address?
Yes, several bank accounts can be linked to the same virtual address depending on the functionality/ies being made available by the respective PSPs.
Different channels for transferring funds
What are the different channels for transferring funds using UPI?
- The different channels for transferring funds using UPI are:
- Transfer through Virtual ID
- Account Number + IFSC
- Mobile Number + MMID
- Aadhar Number
- Collect / Pull money basis Virtual ID
1. What if my account is debited but the transaction does not go through?
UPI provides for real time reversals for technical declines and amount would be transferred back to the payer account immediately.
2. Can I put a stop payment request for funds transferred by UPI?
No, once the payment is initiated, it cannot be stopped.
3. Where do I register a complaint with reference to the UPI transaction?
You can also raise your grievance or check status of UPI transaction through the UPI App of the participating banks.
4. What is the limit of fund transfer using UPI?
At present, the upper limit per UPI transaction is Rs. 1 Lakh.
5. If I change my UPI app will I be required to register again or I can carry the same virtual address?
In case of change in UPI App, a person needs to re-register and it depends on the PSP whether same virtual ID can be used with necessary checks they can establish.
6. What happens if I forget my pin?
In case someone forgets the MPIN, he needs to re-generate new PIN.
7. Will I be able to use UPI after I change my sim or mobile?
In case of change in sim/mobile/application of the PSP, customer would require to re-register themselves for UPI.
8. Will I be able to use UPI across all Mobile platforms?
Yes, UPI is available on Android and it will be made available on IOS soon.
9. What is the timeline to approve a collect request by a payer?
The timeline to approve a collect request needs to be defined by the requester.
10. In case my mobile is used by another person, will there be any security breach?
In any transaction through UPI, PIN would be required which needs to be fed through the mobile at the time of any transaction making it safe and secured.
11. Steps to get started with UPI