GI Cloud Initiative - Meghraj
This topic provides information about the Government of India Cloud initiative - Meghraj.
Cloud Computing Services provide the new model of offering services (Platform as a Service (PaaS), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software as a Services (SaaS) and Storage as a Service (STaaS)) to the users at fast pace which is also cost effective. In order to utilise and harness the benefits of Cloud Computing, Government of India has embarked upon an ambitious initiative - "GI Cloud" which has been named as 'MeghRaj'. This initiative is to implement various components including governance mechanism to ensure proliferation of Cloud in the government. The focus of this initiative is to accelerate delivery of e-services in the country while optimizing ICT spending of the Government.
MeghRaj will ensure optimum utilization of the infrastructure and speed up the development and deployment of eGov applications. The architectural vision of GI Cloud encompasses a set of discrete cloud computing environments spread across multiple locations, built on existing or new (augmented) infrastructure, following a set of common protocols, guidelines and standards issued by the Government of India.
Advantages of GI Cloud
- Optimum utilization of existing infrastructure
- Rapid deployment and reusability: Any software made available by any government of department in India can be made available to other departments as well without additional costs.
- Manageability and maintainability: It provides single point for maintaining Information & Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure in India.
- Scalability: According to the demands from the citizens of India, infrastructure of the government can be increased accordingly.
- Efficient service delivery
- Security: A security framework for the entire GI Cloud will lead to less environmental complexity and less potential vulnerability.
- Increased user mobility
- Reduced effort in managing technology
- Ease of first time IT solution deployment
- Cost reduction
- Standardization: GI Cloud shall prescribe the standards around interoperability, integration, security, data security and portability etc.
Services offered as part of National Cloud
The National Informatics Centre (NIC) is providing National Cloud services under the initiative MeghRaj. The services offered are as follows.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
IaaS provides you basic virtual compute infrastructure resources like CPU, Memory, Disk Storage attached to blank VMs with allowing you to install OS, using ISOs, from scratch and customization. However you have to use your own licenses for OS and Application software (if any).
Platform as a Services (PaaS)
PaaS provides pre-installed web and database servers so that you can publish and run web application without worrying about server setup. The servers are pre configured ready with basic security hardening. Use PaaS service to quickly deploy servers and publish your web applications. The OS & Application Software licenses are provided by us as part of offering.
Software as a Services (SaaS)
This provides on demand software service. SaaS is a software delivery model where users are not responsible for supporting the application or any of the components. The server infrastructure, OS and software is being managed by cloud services. If you are having web application and want to distribute it to users, use our Cloud Service to deliver through Software as a Service.
Storage as a Service (STaaS)
STaaS provides need based storage solution . It provides excellent alternative to the traditional on-site and dedicated storage systems and reduces the complexities of deploying and managing multiple storage tiers. You can use it to mitigate risks in disaster recovery, provide long-term retention for records and enhance both continuity and availability.
NIC Cloud Services provides 3 different types of environment for creating virtual machines i.e. Production, Staging and Development so that you keep your VM segregated and manage them properly based on the business need for both PaaS as well as IaaS service model.
Following are the Services support provided to your application as part of the cloud hosting :
- Server Vulnerability Assessment
- Server Anti-virus
- Server Backup
- Network/Application Firewall
Source : National Cloud Services