Childline 1098 service
It provides the information about CHILDLINE 1098 services.
1098 Tele Helpline Model
CHILDLINE stands for a friendly 'didi' or a sympathetic 'bhaiya' who is always there for vulnerable children 24 hours of the day, 365 days of the year.
A phone number that spells hope for millions of children across India, CHILDLINE is India's first 24-hour, free, emergency phone service for children in need of aid and assistance
Whether you are a concerned adult or a child, you can dial 1098, the toll free number to access our services. We not only respond to the emergency needs of children but also link them to services for their long-term care and rehabilitation. We have, to date, reached out to over three million children across the nation through such calls.
CHILDLINE is a platform bringing together the Ministry for Women & Child Development, Government of India, working in Partnership with State Governments, NGOs, International Organizations, the Corporate Sector, Concerned Individuals and Children.
Childline works for the protection of the rights of all children in general. But its special focus is on all children in need of care and protection, especially the more vulnerable sections, which include:
- Street children and youth living alone on the streets
- Child labourers working in the unorganised and organized sectors
- Domestic help, especially girl domestics
- Children affected by physical / sexual / emotional abuse in family, schools or institutions.
- Children who need emotional support and guidance
- Children of commercial sex workers
- Child victims of the flesh trade
- Victims of child trafficking
- Children abandoned by parents or guardians
- Missing children
- Run away children
- Children who are victims of substance abuse
- Differently-abled children
- Children in conflict with the law
- Children in institutions
- Mentally challenged children
- HIV/ AIDS infected children
- Children affected by conflict and disaster
- Child political refugees
- Children whose families are in crises
The Vision that Moulded CHILD-LINE
A child - friendly nation that guarantees the rights and protection of all children.
CHILDLINE in action
The activities of CHILDLINE include
- The CHILDLINE team receives & responds to the calls
- Crisis Intervention
- Direct assistance: medical, shelter, protection from abuse, repatriation, death, missing children, intensive counselling
- On phone: Emotional support and guidance, information and referral to services for the caller, information about CHILDLINE, silent calls
- Long-term rehabilitation
- After the emergency needs of the child have been addressed, CHILDLINE explores options with the child to study, learn a trade, go back home etc. Based on the decision of the child, CHILDLINE links the child to an appropriate organisation in the city.
The CHILDLINE is in response to the Child Rights Convention. CHILDLINE is seen as a one point window, connecting children in need to various NGO's working for child related issues. CHILDLINE works towards ensuring that all children in need of care and protection are aware of and have access to services, that are child friendly, available when they want it and encourage them to participate in decisions that affect them.
The country's first toll-free tele-helpline for street children has grown into a national child protection service that operates in over 412 locations in India.