The Family Link app
The topic provides information about the Family Link app.
Family Link App is an initiative of Google that helps parents stay in the loop as their child or teen explores on their Android device, and lets parents set certain digital ground rules for their family.
Children's addiction to digital space is a big concern for the parents. With easy access to smartphones and network connectivity, children across the globe are prone to exploring unsafe digital zone and being compromised unknowingly. There is a huge threat to a child's digital rights, and now with a view to have a better monitoring of the same - Google has introduced an innovative "Family Link" app. Whether your children are younger or in their teens, the Family Link app lets you set digital ground rules remotely from your own device to help guide them as they learn, play, and explore online. For children under 13 (or the applicable age of consent in your country), Family Link also lets you create a Google Account for your child that's like your account, with access to most Google services.
Features of the app
1. Guide children to good content
- View their app activity - Not all screen time is the same. Help your child make healthy decisions about what they do on their Android device, with activity reports showing how much time they’re spending on their favorite apps. You can see daily, weekly, or monthly reports.
- Manage their apps - Handy notifications lets you approve or block apps your child wants to download from the Google Play Store. You can also manage in-app purchases, and hide specific apps on their device, all remotely from your own device.
- Feed their curiosity - It can be hard to figure out what apps are right for your child, so Family Link shows you teacher-recommended apps on Android that you can add directly to their device.
2. Keep an eye on screen time
- Set limits - It’s up to you to decide the right amount of screen time for your child. Family Link lets you set time limits and a bedtime for their supervised devices, so you can help them find a good balance.
- Lock their device - Whether it’s time to go play outside, have dinner, or just spend time together, you can remotely lock a supervised device whenever it’s time to take a break.
3. See where they are
- It’s helpful to be able to find your child when they’re on the go. You can use Family Link to help locate them as long as they’re carrying their Android device.
How to use
Family Link’s tools vary depending on your child’s device. See a list of compatible devices at families.google.com/familylink/setup. Then, parents can start by downloading Family Link onto their own device (Android or iPhone). If a child/teen already has an account, Family Link will walk their parent through linking their account to their child’s account. As part of that process, the child/teen may also need to download the Family Link (Child/Teen) app on their phone to complete the process of linking the accounts. Once the accounts are linked, parents can use Family Link to help them do things like keep an eye on screen time and manage the content they use.
Click here to download the app from Google play store (android users).
Click here to download the app from Apple store (iPhone users).
To view Frequently asked questions (FAQ's) about the app, Click here.
Important things to remember
- While Family Link helps you manage your child's purchases and downloads from Google Play, they will not need approval to install app updates (including updates that expand permissions), apps you have previously approved, or apps that have been shared in Family Library. Parents should regularly review their child’s installed apps and app permissions in Family Link.
- You should carefully review the apps on your child’s supervised device and disable those you don’t want them to use. Note that you may not be able to disable some pre-installed apps.
- To see the location of your child or teen’s device, it must be powered on, recently active, and connected to the internet.
- Teacher-recommended apps are only available on Android devices in the US to parents of children of certain ages.
- While Family Link provides tools to manage your child’s online experience, it does not make the internet safe. Rather, it is intended to give parents choices about how their kids use the internet, and encourage conversations about internet use.
Parents can make use of this free app from Google, consequently guiding their children to explore a safer digital space and at the same time educate and monitor their activities for their betterment. Schools should educate parents in this regard and help them grow both in physical as well as virtual world.
Source : Google