Solar Study Lamp Scheme for School Going Children
This topic provides information about Solar Study Lamp Scheme for School Going Children.
The Solar Study Lamp is the scheme of Ministry of New & Renewable Energy, Government of India for distribution of 7 Million solar study lamps for school going children in the States viz. Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh and Odisha where household grid connectivity is less than 50% as per the 2011 Census.
Solar Study Lamp and Applications
A 'Solar Study Lamp' is a lighting device consisting of a PV module, battery, lamp, and electronics. Battery, lamp, and electronics are placed in a suitable housing. The Solar Study Lamp is especially suitable for study purposes.
PV module converts sun light into electricity, charges the battery which powers the luminaire. Luminaire consists of White Light Emitting Diode (W-LED), a solid state device which emits light when an electric current passes through it.
The Solar Study lamp is designed to provide 4-5 hours of study light every day. There is one more model (Model II) of the Solar Study Lamp with additional provision for Mobile Phone Charging in emergency
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) - responsible to procure and provide the lamp kits, spares etc. in the intervention blocks.
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB) - the central agency for overall Execution, coordination, strategizing and implementation
- Zonal Partners or Zonal Execution Agency (ZEA) are responsible for coordinating, mentoring and monitoring the blocks falling under the zone. Government aided Academic Institution or engineering colleges present in the intervention state, particularly in the respective zone is envisaged to act as the zonal partner.
- Block Partners or Block Execution Agency (BEA) will be responsible for conducting implementation activities in the blocks. Women Cluster Level Federations formed under State Rural Livelihood Mission (SRLM) and/or NGOs working in the intervention states will be selected as Block Partners and each such partner will be responsible for conducting activities in multiple blocks.
- Empanelled Vendors will be responsible for supplying Component kits, equipment & tools others hardware and for developing and installing software (like ERP systems) at the specified rural locations in batches of defined quantities along with the spare parts and replacement of faulty components within 7 days of intimation.Similar vendors of component kits, scheduled delivery at desired locations along with quantity assurance will be applicable to vendors for supply of tools and equipment’s (toolkits, hardware, software). Also Vendors coordinate with EESL, BEA, ZEA, IITB and IITB for above mentioned scheme activities.
The scheme is to be implemented in mission mode and distribution of study lamps is to be ensured by 31.12.2018.
The unit of intervention for the scheme will be a block. Selection of priority of blocks will be based on the following criteria:
- Blocks with less than 50% electrified households
- Blocks in which a sizeable percentage of households dependent on kerosene as their main source of lighting.
- Blocks with significant percentage of ST and SC population.