International Yoga Day
This topic provides information about International Yoga Day that is celebrated on 21 June every year.
Watch Video on International Yoga Day-2017.
Yoga is an ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice that originated in India. The word ‘yoga’ derives from Sanskrit and means to join or to unite, symbolizing the union of body and consciousness.
Today it is practiced in various forms around the world and continues to grow in popularity. Recognizing its universal appeal, on 11 December 2014, the United Nations proclaimed 21 June as International Yoga Day by resolution 69/131.
International Yoga Day aims to raise awareness worldwide of the many benefits of practicing yoga.
Folding of both hands in the logo Symbolise Yoga, the union, which reflects the union of individual Consciousness with that of universal Consciousness, a perfect harmony between mind & body, man & nature; a holistic approach to health & well being. The brown leaves symbolise the Earth element, the green leaves symbolise the Nature, blue symbolises the Water element, brightness symbolises the Fire element and the Sun symbolise the source of energy and inspiration. The logo reflects harmony and peace for humanity, which is the essence of Yoga.
Benefits of Yoga
Yoga is very necessary and beneficial for all human beings if it is practiced by all on daily basis in the early morning. The benefits of Yoga include :-
- Increased muscle strength and tone
- Increased flexibility
- Improved respiration,energy and vitality
- Maintaining a balanced metabolism
- Weight reduction
- Cardio and circulatory health
- Improved athletic performance
IDY 2019: Suggested activities in India
The theme for IYD 2019 is Yoga for Climate Action.
IDY-2019 presents on occasion for all organizations devoted to the promotion of Yoga to come forward and spread the message about the rewards of regular practice of yoga among the general public. Every individual stands to gain from the regular practice of yoga through long term benefits in health, happiness and well being. Yoga professionals can play an important role in making IDY an effective national movement for health and wellness. Here are some suggested activities to reach out to the people and induct them into the blissful world of yoga:
- Organizations/ NOGs are requested to issue internal guidelines within their organization/offices giving the background of the observation of International Day of Yoga (IDY)-2019.
- Efforts may be taken to organize Yoga related activities such as lectures, workshops etc. by Yoga experts, starting 2-3 months ahead of IDY. This would help in building up enthusiasm as we draw closer to 21st June, 2019.
- Since the focus of IDY would be on group yoga demonstrations based on Common Yoga Protocol (CYP), efforts may be made to familiarize the general public with CYP. Organising of training programmes of 15 day duration (one hour per day) on CYP and ensuring maximum public participation in the same is recommended.
- The Common Yoga Protocol shall be performed in groups on 21st June, 2019 from 7:00 A.M. to 7:45 A.M. followed by any suitable and customized 15-minute programme on Yoga.
- Organizations/ NGOs may strive to distribute Yoga attire, Yoga Mats, Caps etc. duly having the logo of IDY to their volunteers/employees/public and encourage others to practice and adopt Yoga.
- Some competitions on Yoga-theme may also be organized to create interest among the volunteers/employees/public, especially among the younger generation.
- Organization may arrange a live screening of Doordarshan’s national telecast related to International day of Yoga on 21st June, 2019, to foster the sense of participating in the nation-wide yoga movement.
- Banners/ Cut outs on IDY - 2019 may be displayed at vantage points.
- Organizations/NOGs can display Yoga Charts and standees inside their offices.
- If the Organization is having any official newsletter, bulletin or magazine, articles and related matter about Yoga may be published.
- Illuminating the building appropriately atleast one week before 21st June 2018 would add to the sense of importance of the event.
- Organization may encourage the employees/public to participate in quiz and other competitions being organized by Ministry of AYUSH.
- Organization may plan long term activities related to Yoga, so that the impact of IDY-related mobilization goes on well beyond 21st June, 2019.
- Organize Yoga camps in their locality. Organizations/ NGOs may adopt few villages to make them complete Yoga villages (Sampoorna Yog Gram).