This topic deals with information related to Fevers
The normal body temperature in human beings is 37oC or 98.6 0F. When the body temperature is more than this normal level, the condition is called fever. Fever is not a disease. It is only a symptom of a disease. It is the reaction of the body to any type of infection. The increasing temperature indicates the level of severity of the disease.
The following diseases could be cause of fever
- Rheumatic fever
- Respiratory infections like pneumonia and cold, cough, tonsillitis, bronchitis etc.
- Urinary tract infections
Common fever symptoms
- Body temperatures more than 37.5 oC or 1000 F
- Body chills
- Joint pains
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of appetite and tiredness
Simple tips to follow
- The patient is to be kept in a well aerated room
- Plenty of liquids is to be given
- Clean and soft clothes are advisable to wear
- Adequate rest is essential
- A doctor is to be consulted when the temperature is above 39.5oC or 1030 F
- or if the fever is continuous for more than 48 hours.
Type of food to be taken during fever
- Plenty of clean and boiled water
- To support the body with sufficient calories, its advisable to take glucose, health drinks, fruit juices etc
- Easily digestible food such as Rice gruel, sago gruel, barley water etc are preferable
- Milk, roti and bread
- Mutton egg, butter, curds and food prepared with oil should be avoided.
Source: Portal Content Team