This topic covers about Educational Schemes related to Backward classes
Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Construction of Hostel for OBC Boys and Girls
- The Centrally-sponsored Scheme for Construction of Hostels for OBC Boys and Girls is being implemented since 1998-99 to address the problem of educational backwardness of OBCs. Very often, students from rural areas, especially those belonging to the weaker sections, discontinue their studies because of lack of secondary schools and colleges nearby and non-availability of adequate hostel facilities, at a reasonable cost, at places where such educational institutions are located. Therefore, the Scheme was initiated with a view to facilitate continuation of education by students belonging to OBCs, especially those hailing from rural and remote areas and from poor families.
- The funding pattern for construction of hostels under the scheme provided for cost sharing between the Central and State Governments in the ratio of 50:50, with 100% funding to UTs and Central Government Institutions like Central Universities.
- The Scheme aims at providing hostel facilities to students belonging to socially and educationally backward classes, especially from rural areas, to enable them to pursue secondary and higher education.
- Agencies Eligible for Assistance under the revised Scheme Agencies eligible for financial assistance under the revised Scheme will be as follows:-
- State Governments and UT Administrations;
- Institutions or organizations set up by the Central Government as autonomous bodies under a statute (e.g. Central Universities, IIT, NIT,etc.).
- The cost per hostel seat in different areas are as follows: -
- North Eastern Region - Rs.3.50 lakh per seat
- Himalayan Regions - Rs.3.25 lakh per seat
- Rest of country - Rs.3.00 lakh per seat
- Or as per the schedule of the rates for the concerned State Government, whichever is lower.
- The cost of construction of hostels for Boys has to be shared between the Centre and the State in 60:40 ratio.
- There will be 90% central assistance to State Governments in case of Girls Hostels and 10% of cost will be borne by the State Governments.
- In case of Union Territories, the Central Assistance shall be 100% and for North Eastern States and 3 Himalayan States (Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand), it shall be 90%.
- For Central Universities/Institutes, the share will be 90% by Government of India and 10% by the Central University/Institute for both Boys and Girls Hostels.
- Introduction of a one-time non-recurring grant of Rs.2500/- per seat for providing furniture/equipment to the hostels constructed under the Scheme.
- The amount of grant will be released in 3 installments in 50:45:5 ratio, of which 5% grant will be released after completion of the work and occupation of the rooms by the OBC Boys and Girls.
The construction work of the Hostel has to be completed within eighteen months from award of work order or two years from the release of Central assistance, whichever is earlier. In no case the time will be extended beyond 2 years. Any cost escalation due to delay in project will be borne by the State/Institute.
Location and Capacity of Hostels to be constructed under the Scheme
While sanctioning hostels, priority will be given to:-
- Regions/districts not covered so far, and
- Districts/towns having a large number of educational institutions.
- As far as possible, hostels will be constructed in close vicinity of educational institutions.
Eligibility criteria for students to be admitted to hostels under the Scheme
Students fulfilling the following eligibility criteria may be allotted seats in Hostels constructed under the Scheme:-
- Students whose castes are included in the Central/State/UT list of Backward Classes and who do not belong to the "creamy layer".
- Hostels would be essentially for post matric students. However, if there are vacant seats, pre-matric students especially of the secondary level, would also be eligible to be accommodated.
- Other things, being equal preference will be given to OBC students hailing from low income families.
- At least 5% of the total seats should be reserved for students with disabilities
For More Information: Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Scheme of Free Coaching for SC and OBC Students
The objective of the Scheme is to provide coaching of good quality for economically disadvantaged Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Other Backward Classes (OBCs) candidates to enable them to appear in competitive examinations and succeed in obtaining an appropriate job in Public/Private Sector.
The Scheme will be implemented through the reputed coaching institutions/centres run by the:
- Central Government/State Governments/UT Administrations/PSUs/Autonomous Bodies under Central/State Governments;
- Universities (both Central and State) including the Deemed Universities and Private Universities recognized by concerned authority; and
- Registered private institutions/NGOs.
The courses for which the Coaching will be imparted shall be as follows:
- Group A and B examinations conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) and the various Railway Recruitment Boards (RRBs);
- Group A and B examinations conducted by the State Public Service Commissions;
- Officers’ Grade examinations conducted by Banks, Insurance Companies and Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs);
- Premier Entrance Examinations for admission in (a) Engineering (eg. IIT-JEE & AIEEE), (b) Medical (eg. AIPMT), (c) Professional courses like Management (eg. CAT) and Law (eg. CLAT), and (d) Any other such disciplines as Ministry may decide from time to time.
- Eligibility tests/examinations like SAT, GRE, GMAT and TOEFL.
Eligibility criteria for applying for Emplacement of Coaching Institutions
- The institute should be a registered body or run by any organization registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860/Companies Act, 2013 or any other relevant Act of the State/Union Territory.
- The institute should have been registered at least for a period of 3 years as on date of notification inviting applications from States/UTs/Coaching Institutions for empanelment by the Ministry.
- The institute should have been fully functional for a minimum period of 3 years at the time of applying under this Scheme and having a minimum enrolment of 100 students in the courses as indicated at Para-3 here-in-above each year for at least two years, immediately prior to the year in which selected for empanelment.
- The institute must have proper infrastructure to meet all requirements for providing coaching in the courses applied for.
List of Institutes empanelled under the Scheme 'Free coaching for SC and OBC Students:
|Sl.||State/UT||Centre Address||Name of the Institutions||Course||Contact Number|
|1||Assam||182, Chandas Tower, Hatigaon, Guwahati, Kamrup, Assam - 781006.||Chitale's Personalized Learning Pvt. Ltd.||JEE, MBA Entrance||08828435393|
|2||Bihar||1st Floor, Near Durga Mandir, Maranpur, Bodhgaya Road, District Gaya, Bihar - 823001.||The Gurukul Practice Centre, Mumbai||NEET, IIT-JEE||09321085949|
|3||Chandigarh||SCO No. 90-92, 2nd Floor,
Sector - 8C, Madhya Marg,
|Bulls Eye (Mind Tree Education Pvt. Ltd.)||CAT, GRE/GMAT||0172-4611111|
|SCO 350-351-352, Ground Floor, Sector 34A, Chandigarh - 160022.||MT Educare Ltd.||NEET, CA-CPT||09888590575|
|4||Delhi||Samkalp Bhawan, Jan Kalyan Sikhsha Samiti, Plot No. 15, Sector IV, Institutional Area, New Delhi - 110022||Samkalp Jan Kalyan Shiksha Samiti, New Delhi||UPSC||011-2619665, 26183070|
|Metis Eduventurs Private Ltd.,
205, 2nd Floor, Roots Tower,
Laxmi Nagar District Centre,
|Carrier Power, Laxmi Nagar, New Delhi||Banking, SSC||09716332976, 011-43061500|
|301/A-37, 38, 39, 3rd Floor,
Ansal Building, Commercial Complex,
Dr. Mukharjee Nagar,
New Delhi – 110009.
|Career Plus Educational Society, New Delhi||UPSC, SPSC||09811069629|
|47/12, Radha Nikunj, Pusa Road, Near Rajendra Place Metro Station,
Delhi – 110060.
|BSC Academy Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi||Bank PO, SSC||011-22484910|
|303, Jaina House Extension,
Commercial Complex, Dr. Mukherjee Nagar,
Delhi – 110009.
|Dikshant Education Centre||UPSC, SCSE||011-47082542|
|B-13, Third Floor, Above HDFC ATM, Dr. Mukherjee Nagar, New Delhi - 110009.||Meridian Courses||UPSC, SCSE||011-27652131, 9312577533|
|28-B/7, Jia Sarai, Near IIT Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi - 110016.||IES Academy Pvt. Ltd.||IES, GATE||011-26537570, 09810958290|
|5||Gujrat||501, Manas Complex, Opposite Star Bazaar, Near Jodhpur Cross Road, Satellite, Ahmedabad - 380015.||Chitale's Personalized Learning Pvt. Ltd.||UPSC, MBA Entrance||09714789555|
|R.O. C/16, 17, 3rd Floor, Trident Mall, Near Race Course Circle, Vadodara, Gujarat - 390007.||MT Educare Ltd.||JEE, CA-CPT||09714990100|
|Taksh Complex -1, 1st Floor-A, Vasna Road, Vadodara - 390007.||Aryan Foundation||NEET, CA-CPT||08828435352|
|6||Haryana||M-24, Old DLF Colony,
Sector – 14,
Gurgoan – 122001.
|LILAC Education Services Pvt. Ltd.||UPSC, SCSE||09899483203|
|7||Jammu and Kashmir||Hospital Road, Near Faziam School,
Ward No. 5, Bandipora,
Jammu & Kashmir- 193502.
|Bandipora College of Information Technology||AIEEE, KAS||01957-225546|
|8||Karnataka||Near Kottara Chowki, Bangra Kulur, Mangalore - 575013.||Aryan Foundation||NEET, JEE||07760885338|
|9||Maharashtra||A-102, Riddhi-Siddhi Apartment, Plot No. B-7,
Sector-20, Nerul West, Above PNB Bank,
|The Gurukul Practice Centre, Mumbai||NEET, IIT JEE||07666584292|
|10||Manipur||Wangjing Bazar, P.O. Wangjing,
Manipur – 795148.
|Youth Step Forward Centre, Thoubal||AIPMT, AIEEE-JEE||09436663161|
|11||Punjab||SCO 136-141, Near ICICI Bank, Chotti Baradari, Patiala, Punjab - 147001.||Chitale's Personalized Learning Pvt. Ltd.||UPSC, MBA Entrance||09702702666|
|SCO 135, Above Coke Agency, Near Nabha Gate, Patiala, Punjab - 147001.||MT Educare Ltd.||JEE, CA-CPT||09702709888|
|12||Rajasthan||B-28, 10-B Scheme,
Gopalpura Bypass, Jaipur,
Rajasthan – 302018.
|Career Point, Jaipur||IIT-JEE, PMT||09672977508|
|B.O. 31, Patanjali Bhawan, Satya Vihar Lalkothi,
Near Jain ENT Hospital,
Jaipur – 302015.
|Patanjali IAS||UPSC, SCSE||0141-2741123|
|13||Tamil Nadu||No.7, 1st Floor, Rosy Tower, Nungambakkam High Road, Opp. ICAI Institute, Nagambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu - 600034.||MT Educare Ltd.||NEET, CA-CPT||09987567100|
|14||Uttar Pradesh||31/56, M.G.Marg,
Opposite Hotel Kapoor,
Lucknow – 226001.
|PMT Physics College, Lucknow||PMT, AIEEE-JEE||0522-2616637|
|Pioneer Classes, 3rd Floor, Ambica Arcade, I.T. Crossing, Faizabad Road, Lucknow
|Pioneer Foundation||Pre-Medical, Pre-Engg.||09918337808|
For More Information: Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Schemes of Interest Subsidy on Education Loans
The objective of the scheme is to award interest subsidy to meritorious students belonging to the Other Backward Classes and Economically Backward Classes so as to provide them better opportunities for higher education abroad and enhance their employability.
The is a Central Sector Scheme to provide interest subsi dy to the student belonging to the OBCs and EBCs on the interest payable for the period of moratorium for the Education Loans for overseas studies to pursue approved courses of studies abroad at Masters, M.Phil. and Ph.D. level.
Conditions for Interest Subsidy
- The Scheme is applicable for higher studies abroad. The interest Subsidy shall be linked with the existing Educational Loan Scheme of Indian Banks Association (IBA) and restricted to students enrolled for course at Masters, M.Phil and Ph.D level.
- The interest subsidy under the scheme shall be available to the eligible students only once, either for Masters or Ph.D levels. Interest subsidy shall not be available to those students who either discontinued the course mid - stream due to any reason, or those who are expelled from the institutions on disciplinary or academic grounds.
- If a student violates any condition of the scheme, the subsidy will be discontinued forthwith.
- If a student is found to have obtained the subsidy by false statement/certificates, the subsidy will be withdrawn/ cancelled forthwith and amount of the subsidy paid shall be recovered with penal interest, apart from taking criminal action as per law.
- The students obtaining benefits under this Scheme shall not be given the interest subsidy if he gives up Indian citizenship during the tenure of the loan.
- The scheme will be available on preferencial basis for the professional courses first.
- The students should have secured admission in the approved courses at Masters, M.Phil or Ph.D levels abroad for the courses covered in the scope of the scheme.
- He/She should have availed loan from a scheduled bank under the Education Loan Scheme of the Indian Banks Association (IBA) for the purpose.
- For the candidate applying under the OBC category, OBC Caste certificate in the prescribed Performa issued by the competent authority must be taken by the Banks.
- Income Ceiling
- For OBC candidates, total income from all sources of the employed candidate or his/her parents/guardians in case of unemployed candidate shall not exceed present Creamy Layer criteria.
- For EBC candidates, total income from all sources of the employed candidate or his/her parents/guardians in case of unemployed candidate shall not exceed Rs.2.50 lakh per annum.
- Under this Scheme, Income certificate produced by the student for availing Educational Loan viz. ITR/Form 16/Audited Accounts/Income certificate issued by the authority of State Government/UT Administration is acceptable to determining Income ceiling.