Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan
This topic provides information about Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan.
Nehru Yuva Kendras were established in the year 1972 with the objective of providing rural youth avenues to take part in the process of nation building as well providing opportunities for the development of their personality and skills.
In the year 1987-88, Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) was set up as an autonomous organization under the Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, to oversee working of these Kendras. NYKS is the largest grassroots level youth organization; one of its kind in the world. It channelizes the power of youth on the principles of voluntarism, self-help and community participation.
At present, there are Nehru Yuva Kendras functions in as many as 623 districts of the country. Further, in order to manage, administer and run the 623 district based Nehru Yuva Kendras, Zonal Offices in 29 States of India have been established by NYKS. The NYKS has its head office in New Delhi.
Objectives of NYKS are two fold :-
- To involve the rural youth in nation building activities.
- To develop such skills and values in them with which they become responsible and productive citizens of a modern, secular and technological nation.
Programmes and schemes of NYKS
Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan has been working in various fronts of youth development with a variety of youth programmes of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and certain special programmes in coordination and cooperation of other ministries. Main focus has been on developing values of good citizenship, thinking and behaving in secular ways, skill development and helping youth to adopt a productive and organized behaviour.
Core Programmes in a district
- Youth Club Development Programme (YCDP)- It is to strengthen existing network of Youth Clubs with representation from all sections of society.
- Training on Youth Leadership and Community Development (TYLCD) - It will enhance capacities of young people to take leadership to help others to live a meaningful life and contribute towards nation building.
- Promotion of Sports - Block Level and District Level Sports Meet - to promote Sports Culture & Spirit of Sportsmanship among rural youth.
- Education in Basic Vocations and Soft Skills (EBVSS) - aims to educate rural young women & men in basic vocations and develop soft skills and enhancing their self esteem in the society as well as guide them to take up Skill Development Training from other Agencies. It is also to empower young women & men to address issues and concerns confronting them in their day to day life.
- District Level Promotion of Art and Culture - It will provide opportunity to rural youth to display their folk cultural talent and facilitate in preserving and promoting the same.
- Observance of Days of National Importance, National Youth Day and Week- It is to generate awareness about the objective, theme and importance behind a particular day of national and international importance.
- District Youth Convention - It will provide opportunity and platform to rural youth leaders to display products & express themselves, share experiences and suggest best practiced programmes for the youth empowerment.
- Awards to Outstanding Youth Clubs (AOYC) at District, State and National Level - To recognize the voluntary services rendered and encouraged youth clubs to undertake community development & welfare activities.
- Mahatma Gandhi Yuva Swachhta Maha Abhiyan evam Shramdaan Karyakram
- Yuva Aadarsh Gram Vikas Karyakaram
National Programme for Youth Adolescent Development (NPYAD)
The scheme of the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports contains programmes implemented among youth such as
- Promotion of Youth Activities & Training,
- Promotion of National Integration
- Promotion of Adventure, and
- Development and Empowerment of Adolescents.
To know more information, click here.
Source : Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan