Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana
This topic provides information about Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana.
Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana is scheme for providing Physical Aids and Assisted-living Devices for Senior citizens belonging to BPL category. This is a Central Sector Scheme, fully funded by the Central Government. The expenditure for implementation of the scheme is being met from the "Senior Citizens' Welfare Fund". The Scheme is being implemented by the Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO), a PSU under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Importance of the scheme
As per the Census figures of 2011, the population of senior citizens in India is 10.38 crore. More than 70% of the population of senior citizens live in rural areas of the country. A sizeable percentage (5.2%) of the senior citizens suffers from some sort of disabilities related to old age. Projections indicate that the number of elderly population will increase to around 173 million by 2026.
The Government has hence devised the Central Sector Scheme to provide Physical aids and Assisted Living Devices for such senior citizens suffering from age related disabilities/ infirmities, who belong to BPL category.
The Scheme duration is for period of the 3 years ie. upto 2019-20.
Senior Citizens, belonging to BPL category and suffering from any of the age related disability/infirmity viz. Low vision, Hearing impairment, Loss of teeth and Locomotor disability will be provided with such assisted-living devices which can restore near normalcy in their bodily functions, overcoming the disability/infirmity manifested. The Scheme is expected to benefit 5,20,000 Senior Citizens across the country.
Registration for the scheme
To register online for the scheme, click here.
To track the status of your application, click here.
- Aadhaar /Proof of identity - Passport, Voter ID, Driving license
- Proof of BPL status - certificate from the District Authority for eligibility / BPL ration card / proof of receiving Old Age Pension under Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) under the National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP) / Any other Pension Scheme of the State/UT Government for Senior citizens belonging to BPL category
- Certificate from the Medical Officer required for loss of vision, hearing impairment, loss of teeth and locomotor disability requiring use of wheelchair.
Under the Scheme, the following Aids and Assisted-Living Devices will be provided to eligible elderly beneficiary senior citizens, depending upon their physical impairment.
- Walking sticks
- Elbow crutches
- Walkers / Crutches
- Tripods / Quadpods
- Hearing Aids
- Artificial Dentures
Salient features of the scheme
- Free of cost distribution of the devices, commensurate with the extent of disability/infirmity that is manifested among the eligible senior citizens.
- In case of multiple disabilities/infirmities manifested in the same person, the assistive devices will be given in respect of each disability/impairment.
- ALIMCO will undertake one year free maintenance of the aids & assisted living devices.
- Beneficiaries in each district will be identified by the State Governments/UT Administrations through a Committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner/District Collector.
- As far as possible, 30% of the beneficiaries in each district shall be women.
- The State Government/UT Administration/District Level Committee can also utilize the data of BPL beneficiaries receiving Old Age Pension under the NSAP or any other Scheme of the State/UT for identification of senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
- The devices will be distributed in Camp mode.
A total of 326 districts from all State/UTs Administration have been selected for the implementation of RVY during 2019-20.
To view the district level implementation status, click here
Source : ALIMCO