Schemes for senior citizens
This topic covers important Schemes related to Senior Citizens
Vayoshreshtha Sammans - A Scheme of National Award for Senior Citizens.
Scheme of National Award for Senior Citizens (Vayoshreshtha Sammans) was launched in 2005 and is dedicated to senior citizens. The Scheme is funded by the Central government. This scheme is applicable for eminent senior citizens and institutes involved in rendering distinguished services for the cause of elderly persons. Institutes and senior citizens can avail this scheme by contacting Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
For More Information: Vayo shreshths samman (949KB)
An integrated Programme for older persons
Aims And Objectives
Assistance under the scheme will be given to the Panchayati Raj Institutions / local bodies and eligible Non-Governmental Voluntary Organizations for the following purposes:-
- Programmes catering to the basic needs of Older Persons particularly food, shelter and health care to the destitute elderly;
- Programmes to build and strengthen intergenerational relationships particularly between children / youth and Older Persons;
- Programmes for encouraging Active and Productive Ageing;
- Programmes for proving Institutional as well as Non Institutional Care / Services to Older Persons;
- Research, Advocacy and Awareness building programmes in the field of Ageing; and
- Any other programmes in the best interests of Older Persons.
Under the scheme, assistance will be sanctioned to the following agencies subject to terms and conditions laid down by this Ministry:-
- Panchayati Raj Institutions / Local bodies
- Non-Governmental Voluntary Organizations
- Institutions or Organizations set up by Government as autonomous / subordinate bodies
- Government Recognized Educational institutions, Charitable Hospitals / Nursing Homes, and recognized youth organizations such as Nehru Yuvak Kendra Sanghathan (NYKS).
- In exceptional case, financial assistance under the Scheme shall also be provided to State Governments/Union Territory administrations.
Eligibility Criteria For The Non-Governmental Voluntary Organisations
- The Non-governmental voluntary organization should be a registered body, under an appropriate Act so that it gets a corporate status and a legal personality and a group liability is established for its activities;
- It should be registered either under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 or relevant State Societies Registration Act and has already been working for atleast two years; or a Public Trust registered under any law for the time being in force or a charitable company licensed under Section 525 of Companies Act, 1958.
- It should have been registered for a minimum period of two years but in the case of the North Eastern region, J&K, Desert areas and under serviced/Under-represented areas, this condition of two years will not be applicable. In other deserving cases, the condition of two years may be relaxed with the approval of the Secretary (SJ&E) on case-to-case basis.
- The Organization shall have a properly constituted managing body with its powers, duties and responsibilities clearly defined and laid down in a written Constitution; It shall have an appropriate administrative structure and a duly constituted managing/ executive committee;
- The organization is initiated and governed by its own members on democratic principles.
- The aims and objects of the organization and programmes in fulfillment of those aims and objects are specifically laid down;
- The Organization shall not run for profit to any individual or a body of individuals; The Organization should possess proven credentials and capabilities to handle such projects.
For More Information: The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme
Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS), earlier called as "National Old Age Pension Scheme (NOAPS)" is a social sector scheme and forms part of the National Social Assistance Programme (NSAP) which came into effect from 15th August, 1995. This scheme provides social assistance for the old age persons.
For purpose of claiming central assistance, the following criteria shall apply:
- The age of the applicant (male or female) shall be 60 years or higher
- The applicant must belong to a household below poverty line according to the criteria prescribed by the Government of India.
Pattern of assistance
The central assistance provided as pension is Rs. 200 p.m. for persons between 60 years and 79 years. F or persons who are 80 years and above the pension is Rs.500/ - per month . States are strongly urged to provide an additional amount at least an equivalent amount to the assistance provided by the Central Government so that the beneficiaries can get a decent level of assistance .