Innovation for quality training in Odisha
This topic provides information about the Innovation for quality training in Odisha.
Government of Odisha has taken some innovative measures to improve the overall quality of training and delivery in the area of skill development. The Odisha Skill Development Authority has been launched with the mission 'Skilled in Odisha - will Go Global' and steps taken for improving aspiration level of trainees admitted into ITIs. These interventions have impacted mindsets of trainees, trainers and employers.
- Improving discipline and punctuality of staff and students through introduction of Biometric machine based attendance system in Government ITIs.
- Role Model interaction programme organized for trainees regularly to improve their aspirations. For this 10 Role Models including at least 4 girls passed from the same Institute and placed/self-employed successfully interact with trainees regularly. The Institutes also have Hall of Fame of Role Models.
- Improve access and equity through setting up of Special ITI for PwD at Jatni and 2 more ITIs at Gumma and Chandragiri under MSDP for welfare of minorities.
- Organizing regular visits of girls to ITIs and Polytechnics for improving their enrolment.
- Career Counseling camps are also organised at High Schools for more enrolment of ST, SC, PwD candidates for inclusiveness
- In order to carry forward the brand image of Institutes and improving aspiration level and belongingness, a dress code has been implemented worth Rs 3000/- free for the trainees of ITIs.
- World Youth Skills Day (15th July) is also celebrated as Girls Trainee Day. Media Campaign, Plantation Programmes, Make in Odisha Conclave, State Level Quiz Competition on Biju Centenary are also observed for improving social perception.
- Monthly academic audit of ITIs is conducted by 35 officers of Polytechnics to ensure and guide quality training
- Ranking of ITIs : The Academic Auditors use the colour coded format for ranking of ITIs and subsequently, the district administration shall rank the ITIs. Based on DGT, New Delhi grading parameters on five star grades, the grading of all Government ITIs have been taken up.
- Dual System Training: The DST has been implemented in 12 ITIs on a pilot basis with Industrial hands-on-practices in 13 Industries/PSUs during 2016-17.
- Monthly Internal Examination System: The monthly examination with updated entries in progress chart implemented in ITIs for improving knowledge of students.
- Monthly Review : Monthly meetings of the Principals conducted with flow of information through Social Medias like WhatsApp Group, Twitter, Face Book etc.
- ICT Infrastructure : The Institutes have been supported with an IT lab, Communication Lab etc. with internet facilities for extensive use of YouTube educational videos.
- Scholarship to the children of Building and Other Construction (BOC) workers : Drive has been taken for financial assistances to the tune of Rs 40,000/- to about 5000 sons/wards of BOC workers pursuing ITI/Polytechnic Education at Government Institutes.
- Online services at SCTE&VT: Online registration, certification system has been implemented by SCTE&W, Odisha.
- The impact of these small yet innovative interventions has been manifold ranging from inculcating accountability in the training providers as well bringing about an attitudinal change in trainees and public in general.
- Using biometric attendance, audit of ITIs, special drive for girl students, special ITIs for PwDs etc. are many interventions that all State Governments can easily include in their skill development ecosystem.