National Consumer Helpline
This topic covers information related to National Consumer Helpline.
About National Consumer Helpline (NCH)
NCH is a project of the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs. It works with the mission to provide telephonic advice, information and guidance to empower Indian consumers and persuade businesses to reorient their policy and management systems to address consumer concerns and grievances adopting world class standards. NCH operates under the Centre for Consumer Studies at Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA).
National Toll free helpline number for consumers
NCH recognizes the need of consumers for a Telephone Helpline to deal with a multitude of problems arising in their day-to-day dealings with business and service providers. It provides a National Toll Free Number 1800-11-4000. A consumer can call this number to seek information, advice or guidance for his queries and complaints.
- Service sectors like LPG, Electricity, Telecom, Banking, Insurance, Credit cards, Automobiles, Postal, Courier, water, Transport, Education and Medical etc.
- Products like Domestic Home Appliances in the range of computers, handycam, ACs, Microwave, Television, Coolers, Fans, Washing Machines, Gas burner, Water Purifier, Mobile Phone, VCD/DVD/CD Player, Food Processor, Invertors and Shoes etc.
Approach of NCH in helping consumers
NCH advises consumers on dealing with problems related to defective products, deficiency in services and unfair trade practices. The Helpline follows a three-tier approach.
- First the consumer is informed of his rights in a particular consumer problem and who s/he should approach in the concerned company or the organization.
- If the problem remains unresolved s/he would be directed to take up the matter with industry level bodies or chambers of commerce, industry regulators (as they exist in sectors like insurance and banking) or Govt. officials who are in charge of the relevant industrial sector.
- As a last resort, the consumers will be advised to take their case to consumer courts under the Consumers Protection Act. This helpline is designed to promote avenues of out of court settlement of consumer disputes and resultantly helps to reduce the burden on consumer courts.
Functions of NCH
National Consumer Helpline supports consumers by:
- Guiding consumers in finding solutions to problems related to Products & Services.
- Providing information related to Companies and Regulatory Authorities.
- Facilitating consumers in filing complaints against defaulting Service Providers.
- Empowering consumers to use available Consumer Grievances Redressal Mechanisms, Educating Consumers about their Rights and Responsibilities.
- Developing the awareness among Consumers about their Rights and Responsibilities.
Sectoral distribution on complaints received by NCH
- Domestic Appliances
- Food Safety
- Legal Metrology
- Medical Negligence
- Petroleum / LPG/ PNG
- Real Estate
Register your complaint and track its status
- Click here to register as consumer
- Click here to register your complaint
- Click here to track your complaint status
Source: Department of Consumer Affairs