Financial assistance to ex-servicemen in penury
This topic provides information about Financial assistance to ex-servicemen in penury.
The scheme to provide financial assistance to non-pensioner Ex-Servicemen (ESM) in a state of penury (ie. a state of extreme poverty) was started in year 1981. The financial assistance is provided from the Armed Forces Flag Day Fund (AFFD) by the Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare, Ministry of Defence through Kendriya Sainik Board (KSB).
The aim of this aid gratis is to provide a small measure of relief from total penury to a non-pensioner Ex-Servicemen (ESM) up to rank of Hav/equivalent and their widow.
For Penury is provided at the rate of Rs.4000/- per month per head for life time from AFFD Fund, effective from April 2017.
The eligibility criteria are to be met to avail financial assistance under this scheme are as follows:-
- Must be a non-pensioner ESM or his widow.
- Should be of rank Havildar/equivalent from the Navy/Armed Force and below.
- Should be above age of 65 years.
- Should be recommended by respective Zila Sainik Boards (ZSBs) and Rajya Sainik Boards (RSB).
- Details of bank account (in SBI/PNB only) and IFS Code.
Application should be made in prescribed form with recommendation of respective ZSWO & Secretary, RSB on it. Copies of the following documents duly attested by ZSWO must accompany the application:-
- Service Document/Discharge Book of ESM.
- Age proof, if date of birth not given in the Service Document/Discharge Book.
- Identity Card of ESM/Widows issued by Zila Sainik Boards (ZSBs).
- Details of Bank A/c No (in PNB/SBI only) and IFS Code.
Channel of Application
- Applications are required to be submitted by eligible ESM/widows at respective ZSB by 31 Mar or 30 Sep each year. To Apply online, click here.
- ZSWO will scrutinize these applications and if found in order, forward them with soft copy of their data to concerned RSB.
- If found meeting QRs, RSB will forward all these applications by last day of the following month to the KSB Sectt for processing.
Processing of Applications
On receipt of applications at the KSB Sectt, these shall be processed by its Welfare Section in order of the date of their receipt. Such applications pertaining to AFFD Fund will be moved for approval of Competent Authority in one lot preferably on a quarterly basis.
After approval of the applications by the Competent Authority, the same will be processed for payment in batches of 200 applications by the Section. After verification of data, the Welfare Section will forward the batch list to the Accounts Section for making payments via ECS . The Jt Dir (Welfare) will display payment status of the approved applications on website(www.desw.gov.in).
The Penury Grant, once approved by the Competent Authority, stands for life of the approved non-pensioner ESM or the widow. No fresh application will be required thereafter, however beneficiary must submit a 'life certificate' through respective ZSB once a year in the month of December for release penury grant in the following financial year. It may be noted that the financial assistance is non-transferable and will cease automatically upon death of the ESM or widow.
Source : Kendriya Sainik Board Secretariat