This topic covers the information about the Prerna scheme - Incentive to Parents of Girl Child
In order to help push up the age of marriage of girls and space the birth of children in the interest of health of young mothers and infants, Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (National Population Stabilization Fund) - an autonomous body of the MoHFW, Govt. of India has launched PRERNA, a Responsible Parenthood Strategy in all districts of seven focus states namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, and Rajasthan.
The strategy recognizes and awards couples who have broken the stereotype of early marriage, early childbirth and repeated child birth and have helped change the mindsets of the community.
The scheme is meant only for BPL families.
- Couple must belong to BPL family
- Age of lady should not exceed 30 years
- The girl should have been married after 19 years
- First child birth after at least 2 years of marriage
- Second child birth after at least 3 years of the first child birth
- Either parent voluntarily accepts permanent method of family planning within one year of the second child birth
- Rs. 10,000/- if boy child
- Rs. 12,000/- if girl child
If all above six (S.N.1-6) conditions are fulfilled then payment of award:
- Rs. 15,000/- if both are boys
- Rs. 17,000/- if one boy & one girl child
- Rs. 19,000/- if both are girls
The amount of award is given in the form of National Saving Certificate (NSC).
- BPL certificate of the couple
- Date of birth certificate of Mother (Schools/Board/Registrar of birth/death)
- Marriage Certificate of the couple (Registrar of marriages/appropriate govt. officer/delegated authorities)
- Birth Cert. of 1st child (Registrar / appropriate govt. officer registering births/death)
- Birth Cert. of 2nd child, if any (Registrar / appropriate govt. officer registering births/death)
- Sterilization Certificate (NSV/LTT), if any, (Govt. Hospital)
- Character Cert. (Gram Panchayat)
Note: Photocopies of all relevant documents should be attested by a gazetted officer.
Check List for Administrators and Organizations Partnering JSK (Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh)
- The selection process should involve the community at all stages. However vital events like date of birth and sterilization etc. have to be checked / certified through government sources only. The community should be satisfied about the selection and the selected couples should be worthy of being seen as Role Models for Responsible Parenthood.
- While identifying the eligible couples, there is a need to examine the reason for the girl’s marriage at 19 years. If the reason supports the girl’s health, education or skill learning then the selection is worthwhile. In case it was due to extraneous factors, the girl should not be included. It is very important that the PRERNA ‘Role models’ should inspire confidence and not create controversy.
- The upper age limit for eligible married women should be below 30 years. There is no age limit for the husband but younger is better.
- Care needs to be taken while selecting an eligible couple. The girl’s marriage should be 19 years (not 18) and the first child should be born when the mother’s age is more than 21 years. Likewise the second child should be born after a 3 years gap and there should be documentary evidence of sterilization after the second child.
- Marriage and Birth registration is compulsory. In case supporting documents are not available, proper certification regarding birth and marriage from authorized sources is necessary to claim the Award.
- The eligible couples should not have any criminal record which points to unsuitability.
- Payments are made in the form of a National Saving Certificate to be issued by the local post office and given by the Collector personally along with wide press coverage and messages about the health of the mother and health of the child. (JSK will supply material relevant to the district on request). JSK-Prerna Strategy 3
- The strategy can be implemented by NGO’s or Community level organizations or through Anganwadi workers, ANMs, ASHAs. Funds will be released after the couples are selected and documents have been checked by JSK.
- Rupees 500 per awardee couple will be paid to the organization that helped identify the couples and got the authentication done on the recommendation of the District Collector/CM&HO. This amount would be paid only at the award ceremony.
- The amount of award will be transferred in the dedicated bank account “JSK-PRERNA” opened in respective State Health Society, through cheque/electronic.
- Payment to Post Office would be through account payee cheque for purchasing National Saving Certificates (NSCs).
- The award ceremony should be organized within the month when award amount received.
- A team to be constituted by District Collector for verification of 10% of total cases and verified list sent to JSK.
- List of the beneficiaries to be counter signed by the District Collector after verification from CMO/CM&HO/Civil Surgeon.
- A verification certificate may be issued by the district collector office.
Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (JSK) (National Population Stabilization Fund) is implementing its strategy in all districts of seven states namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, Odisha and Chhattisgarh with different partners.
Source: Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh