Indigenous technologies practised by farmers
- Application of buttermilk @ 5 lit./40 Kg seed of pulses viz. lentil, arhar, chickpea to protect the crop from wilt disease in district Chitrakoot.
- Farmers of district Shahjahanpur, broadcast 8 kg common salt to protect the paddy crop from blight disease.
- In districts Allahabad, Saharnapur, Siddharthnagar and Gonda, dry neem leaves and kanja leaves are used by the farmers to store the grain like wheat, rice etc.
- Mixed cropping of arhar & jowar to protect the arhar from wilt disease in district Gonda.
- Planting of marigold after 8-10 lines of tomato or chilli to protect the crop from mosaic and nematode in Gonda
- The farmers practice putting of twigs in field crops for sitting of owl to control the rats in Sultanpur district.
- Mixed cropping like arhar + urd + til + bajra is practiced in Varanasi and Mirzapur district to protect the crop from wilt.
- Spreading of cooked rice in field crop attract the birds who eat hairy catter pillar also. (Varanasi).
- The farmers of Ghaziabad to control the aphids spray water in mustard crop.
- Ash dusting is practiced in Zaid vegetables to control the red beetle in most districts of UP.
- Cutting of upper portion of leaves before transplanting of paddy to prevent the attack of stem borer in district Bijnour and Ghaziabad.
- Spray of extract of 1 kg garlic + 250 gm tobacco + 250 gm gur in 20 lit. to control Gandhi bugs in rice in Ghaziabad.
- Farmers practice mixed cropping of onion + sugarcane to control the shoot borer in sugarcane in district Mau.
- Mixed cropping of coriander + chickpea, protects chickpea from pod borer (Raebareily).
- Intercropping of marigold control nematodes in brinjal/tomato. (Raebareily & Varanasi)
- Gram seed treated with heang (Asafoetida) @ 10 gm/10 Kg seed control pod borer & wilt. Also application of 100 gm mustard Oil per 40 Kg of gram, control wilt disease (Raebareily)
- Soaking of seed in buttermilk, (@ 5 l/40 kg seed) control wilt disease in Pigeonpea and gram in districts Behraich and Shahjahanpur.
- Farmers of Bareilly are using blue bull dung (as repellant) for saving their crops from damage caused by blue bull. They sprey dung solution around field and border area of crops.
- Solution containing 10 lit. of cow urine + 1.5 Kg gur + 1.5 kg mustard oil kept for ten days in shed, then added 200 lit of water and spread on paddy crop to prevent various diseases & pest in district Bijnour.
- Dusting of ash in singara pond for fast vegetative growth and to check the disease (district Bijnour)
- Farmers are broadcasting ash to get higher yield of berseem in district Siddharthnagar.
- To develop yellow colour in mango, farmers are using, 1 gm turmeric powder mixed with 50 gm carbide for 10 kg mango during the process of ripening in district Bareily.
- Farmers are applying 8-12 kg common salt per acre with seed to control the wilt in pulse crops in district Chitrakoot & Shahjahanpur.
- Mixed cropping of coriander with gram and linseed with lentil control the pod borer & wilt respectively in district Ballia.
- Vegetable seeds are stored by mixing with sawdust of pine in district Lohaghat.
- Ash is used at the time of sowing of potato to minimize the soil borne diseases in district Lohaghat.
- Inter-cropping of groundnut with bajra in district Budaun controls nematodes.
- Extract of garlic 5 kg + tobacco 250 gm + 500 gm Neem leaf is used by the farmers of district Budaun to control the yellow mosaic in vegetables.
Last Modified : 4/6/2021
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.