Disease of nursery beds and young seedlings resulting in reduced seed germination and poor stand of seedlings. Very high seedling mortality of 25-75%.
Survival and spread:
- Pre-emergence damping off: Seedlings disintegrate before they come out of soil surface leading to poor seed germination
- Post-emergence damping off is characterised by development of disease after seedlings have emerged out of soil but before the stems are lignified
- Water soaked lesion formation at collar region
- Infected areas turn brown and rot
- Plants shrivel and collapse as a result of softening of tissues
- In Rhizoctonia solani attack infected stems become hard, thin (wire stem symptoms) and infected seedlings topple Disease appear in patches both in nursery and field beds.
- Primary: Oospores in soil in case of Pythium Sclerotia in soil in case of Rhizoctonia
- Secondary: Zoospores through irrigation water in case of Pythium Mycelial growth in soil and sclerotia through irrigation water in case of Rhizoctonia
- Heavy rainfall
- Excessive and frequent irrigation
- Poorly drained soil and close spacing
- High soil moisture with temp around 25-30°C
- High soil moisture with temp around 30–35°C
Survival and spread:
- The first symptom of the disease is clearing of the veinlets and chlorosis of the leaves.
- The younger leaves may die in succession and the entire may wilt and die in a course of few days.
- Soon the petiole and the leaves droop and wilt.
- In young plants, symptom consists of clearing of veinlet and dropping of petioles.
- The symptoms continue in subsequent leaves.
- At later stage, browning of vascular system occurs.
- Plants become stunted and die.
- Relatively high soil moisture and soil temperature
IPM for Drumstick
To know the IPM practices for Drumstick, click here.
Source : NIPHM, Directorate of Plant Protection, Quarantine & Storage
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.