- Smt. Yangden Lepcha, w/o Lt. Kenjong Lepcha, is a progressive farmer of Lingthem village which is situated at 3750-4200 feet above Mean Sea Level.
- She has 4 members in her family. In spite of death of her husband, she is a successful progressive farmer due to her dedication and hardworking nature. She practices integrated farming.
- She has keen interest on adoption of new technology. But she had been doing cultivation with traditional method. She is a member of Self Help Group.
Training & Motivation
- She has been aided in her venture from various bodies and organistions like ICAR-KVK, ATMA, Agriculture, horticulture and Animal Husbandry Departments.
- ATMA, North Sikkim observed her activities and initiated a demo on maize cultivation based on participatory made and offered necessary training.
- She was trained and motivated by KVK scientists. She used the service of Kisan Call Centre for getting the answers’ of queries related to agriculture & allied sector.
Adoption of Innovative Technology, Practices and Achievements
- She received 15 kg Hybrid Maize Seed (Variety: C -1921) from Food Security and Agricultural Development Department for a demo plot of 1.5 acre of land.
- She also received vermicompost to meet the manurial requirement. She took the scientific management from sowing to harvesting. Seeds were sown at 20 cm distance between seed to seed and 45 cm row to row.
- Because of the interventions taken, she could get an increased yield of 24.35/ha quintals as against 13.0 q/ha in traditional method.
- The grain quality was good, healthy and attractive which fetched Rs.35 per kg against Rs. 25 per kg of her previous harvest.
- In total, she earned Rs.77,225/- from her Hybrid Maize crop against Rs.24,500/- from her previous crop of traditional local maize.
Importance to Farmers
- The success of Mrs. Yangden Lepcha has motivated the villagers to adopt hybrid maize cultivation. She shared the knowledge and skill gain through training with fellow farmers.
Source : Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.