Income Enhancement Through Agriculture
- Smt. Suchitra Roy, W/o. Lt. Jibeswar Roy, a lady farmer from the village Diajhajhree of Kokrajhar District is a regular practising farmer. She has three family members at her home, mother-in-law, son and herself. After the death of her husband, the pension that she got was not enough to look after her family, so she took up farming to run her family. She has 11 bighas of total land holding. Her household and homestead garden occupies 2 bighas of land. Her total land for field crops occupies 9 bighas. She mainly grows paddy in her field during Kharif season. She grows local rice varities like Aijung, Bhogdhan, Black rice and HYV Ranjit. She cultivates potato during rabi season. She also have mushroom cultivation from which she gets a good profit. She also grows pulse crops like blackgram and other vegetable crops like mustard, bhindi, tomato, cole crops etc.
Training and Motivation
- She got training from Department of Agriculture, Kokrajhar and Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK), Kokrajhar and has knowledge of modern cultivation of crops. She uses farm yard manures and fertilizers in her field.
- At the beginning, Mrs. Suchitra Roy’s income was very low but after having proper training and timely supply of quality seeds and other inputs from Department of Agriculture and KVK. Her net yearly income has increased to lakhs of Rupees from a meagre income.
- Under Horticulture Scheme for the year 2018-19, she also got a power tiller from Department of Agriculture, Kokrajhar.
- She has also planned to grow more varieties of crops in her field in coming season. As she got the power tiller this year, she plans to make full use of it during her cultivation of crops.
- Apart from farming, she has expertise in other works like pickle making business and she also have an enterprise named Suprabhad Enterprise where she along with other ladies of the locality prepare incense sticks for which they have been awarded by National Bank For Agriculture And Rural Development (NABARD) for their splendid performances in agricultural and allied activities.
- By observing the income and passion of Mrs. Suchitra Roy, other ladies from that locality are also interested in taking up farming like her.
- NABARD has awarded the Suprabhat Enteprise for their splendid performance in agriculture and allied activities.
Source : Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
Last Modified : 12/23/2021
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.