Integrated Agro-Forestry Model
- Smt. Gayathri M.S, aged about 58 years actively involved in farming. She is from Kulagana village of Harave hobli of District Chamarajanagar. She is having 3.5 acres of land. Earlier, she used to grow only cereals, pulses & sericulture which was not remunerative for her.
Training & Motivation
- Once she accidentally came to know about the existence of Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) during the year 2014. Then she had interaction with KVK scientists about the Integrated Farming System, soil and water testing.
- Firstly, she tested her soil and water of fields and based on the result of the tests, She is applying fertilizers on STCR (Soil Testing Crop Response) approach. Then she started cultivating vegetables, plantation crops and diversification in mulberry cultivation and silkworm rearing. y She is having the separate rearing house for silkworm rearing and improved varieties of mulberry.
- She is also into Agro-forestry, Hebbevu, Teak, Silver-oak & Neem trees all along the borders of her farmland. She is very innovative and tries experimenting in her farmland.
- She has also planted cherry, apple and dates in her field. Cherry plants have already started bearing fruits. Coconut, mango, drumstick, papaya and other plants are also planted in her fields by practicing organic farming. y She is having dairy animals and has also planted improved fodder crops in her farmland for dairy animals.
- She is managing vermicompost unit, bio-digester & gobar gas unit at her farm along with drip irrigation facilities for the crops.
- During 2015, she has received highest price for her bivoltine cocoons. She actively participates in training programmes both at KVK and line departments. She is a resource person for many of the training programmes conducted by line departments and other NGOs.
Importance to Other Farmers
- She works as facilitator for 30 SHGs of Sri Kshethra Dharmasthala Rural Development Project (SKDRDP) and she is also President for one of the Federation in her area. She has given radio programme on Integrated Farming System. SKDRDP NGO brings farmers to her field in 3 to 4 batches every month for exposure visit. She gives information to the farmers about organic farming, market led agriculture, integrated farming system and water management.
- She sells her produce directly to the consumers without involvement of middlemen to Gundlupet and Mysuru market and gets money immediately with premium price. y She is President for Milk Producers Cooperative Society Kulagana and Member for Primary Agricultural Credit Cooperative Society.
Source : Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.