Success Story on Performance of Transplanted Red Gram
- Smt. B. Rami Reddy is a progressive minded woman. She has been doing agriculture from the last 10 years. She is ready to take innovative ideas in agriculture. She had been cultivating red gram by broadcasting method which provided very poor yield.
Training & Motivation
- She was selected as one of the beneficiary for transplanting method of Redgram under ATMA Demonstration programme in 2017-18.
- She has participated in trainings on nursery raising, plant protection and transplanting in main field.
- She was immensely motivated to care for the new method of Redgram with enthusiasm even it was completely new method.
- During the cultivation, ATMA staff and Officers of the Agriculture Department provided her the Technical knowledge and pest and disease control measures in Redgram field.
Learning from the Demonstration
- There is potential for transplanting method in Red gram, if taken up in good soils with high yielding varieties compared to traditional varieties like LRG-30, LRG-41 etc.
- Due to heavy rains in the month of September and October, resulted in heavy weed growth and the farmer felt a bit difficult to take up inter-cultivation and finally resorted for herbicide spray with Glyphosate @ 8ml/litre, which resulted in crop – weed competition during critical stages of growth. This is a set- back for the trial during the season.
- This method of transplanting in Red gram coupled with irrigation with drip and fertilization resulted in higher yields.
- This method of transplanting can be promoted and net returns to the farmers can be increased, if a policy decision is taken for premium price, as announced by the government this year.
Importance to other Farmers
- Officials from Agriculture Department and scientists visited her field and appreciated the farmer for her hard work and appealed to other farmers to follow her attitude towards innovative Agricultural approach.
- Due to the more profitability of the crop, many of the farmers in the area have shown interest in cultivating transplanted Redgram in the next season.
- 50 Farmers from adjoining areas visited her Red gram plot and inspired to follow the practice in next season.
Awards & Recognitions
- She received award from J.D.A. at the K.K.A. Meeting conducted in Pulivendula Division.
Source : Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.