Tea Garden Mobile Medical Unit
Tea Garden Mobile Medical Unit is an initiative to provide comprehensive primary healthcare to the population in Tea gardens.
Place of Implementation
Assam is the highest tea producer state in the country with 55% of the total production. About 20% of the total population of Assam belongs to the tea growing communities. They are one of the most backward communities in Assam.
Communities in Tea gardens are are often deprived of proper healthcare facility resulting in health issues such as very high Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR)
In order to provide comprehensive primary health care services along with diagnostics facilities, NHM Assam initiated provision of health facilities exclusively for the Tea Garden areas through deployment of dedicated Mobile Medical Units (MMUs).
- Each MMU consists of two (2) vehicles. First vehicle will be equipped with OPD and laboratory facilitates, IEC material and second vehicle will be used for transportation of MMU Team.
- Each MMU will have one Medical Officer, one ANM, one Pharmacist, one Laboratory Technician, one Ophthalmic Technician, two Drivers and one Handyman.
- Cluster of 4 - 5 Tea Gardens depending on the population & proximity has been formed and against each cluster a MMU has been designated.
- Purpose of the Mobile Medical Unit is to provide Comprehensive Primary Healthcare comprising of Maternal Health, Child Health, Adolescent Health, and Family Planning. Services of communicable diseases like Malaria, JE, TB, Leprosy etc and non- communicable diseases like hypertension, diabetics, and Blindness control will also be covered.
- Drugs & consumables will be supplied by Health & Family Welfare Department under Free Drugs Policies.
- If patients require referral for higher treatment, the MMU team will coordinate with 108/102 for referral and necessary liasoning with the higher facility like First Referral Unit (FRU), District Hospital and Medical Colleges.
- To facilitate the treatment of the referred cases from the Tea Garden areas in the District Hospitals and Medical Colleges a dedicated help desk will be set up.
- The MMUs are implemented through outsourcing to an agency identified through tendering process.
MMUs are hospital on wheels; it will make health services available to Tea Garden Population at their doorstep. Difficult and unreached areas where health infrastructure is not available will be covered by MMUs. This will improve access to healthcare facilities and thereby better health and well being to the communities.
Source : Dept. of Health and Family Welfare, Assam
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.