PAN, or Permanent Account Number, is a 10-digit alphanumeric unique number. The Income-tax department issues PAN as per the Income Tax Act & Rules. PAN is also required by financial institutions and agencies.
What is Aadhaar based Instant PAN?
Aadhaar-based instant PAN allotment service is to allot PAN in near-real time. e-PAN is a digitally signed PAN card issued in electronic format by the Income-tax department. This facility enables allottment of PAN to those applicants who possess a valid Aadhaar number. PAN is issued in PDF format to applicants, which is free of cost. This is a paper-less process and applicants are not required to submit or upload any documents.
Eligibility to apply for instant PAN
- The applicant should have a valid Aadhaar which is not linked to any other PAN.
- The applicant should have his mobile number registered with Aadhaar.
- The applicant should not have another PAN. Possession of more than one PAN will result in penalty under section 272B(1) of Income-tax Act.
How to apply for instant PAN
- To apply for PAN, please visit the e-Filing website of Income-tax department.
- To apply online click, Get New PAN.
- Fill in your Aadhaar in the space provided, enter captcha and confirm.
- The applicant will receive an OTP on the registered Aadhaar mobile number; submit this OTP in the text box on the webpage.
- After submission, an acknowledgement number will be generated. Please keep this acknowledgment number for future reference.
- On successful completion, a message will be sent to the applicant's registered mobile number and e-mail id (if registered in UIDAI & authenticated by OTP). This message specifies the acknowledgement number.
How to download PAN
- To check status and download PAN, click 'Check Status of PAN'.
- Submit the Aadhaar number in the space provided, then submit the OTP sent to the Aadhaar registered mobile number.
- Check the status of application- whether PAN is allotted or not.
- If PAN is allotted, click on the download link to get a copy of the e-PAN pdf.
FAQs on instant PAN
1. Is this PAN valid? Is it different from the PAN issued via other modes of application?
Yes, this PAN is valid. It is not different from the PAN issued by Income-tax department via other modes of application. However, this PAN is paperless, online and free of cost.
2. Is e-PAN a valid form of PAN?
Yes, e-PAN is a valid proof of PAN. e-PAN contains a QR code having demographic details of PAN applicant such as name, date of birth and photograph. These details are accessible through a QR code reader. e-PAN is duly recognised by Notification No. 7 of 2018 dated 27.12.2018, issued by the Principal Director General of Income-Tax (Systems).
Source : Income Tax Department