RTI stands for Right To Information and has been given the status of a fundamental right under Article 19(1) of the Constitution. Article 19 (1) under which every citizen has freedom of speech and expression and have the right to know how the government works, what role does it play, what are its functions and so on.
What is Information?
Information is any material in any form.It includes records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, logbooks, contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form. It also includes information relating to any private body which can be accessed by the public authority under any law for the time being in force.
Center Information Commission
Central Information Commission is constituted by the Government of India through a Gazette Notification under the Right to Information Act 2005. The Commission includes one Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and not more than 10 Information Commissioners (IC) who are appointed by the President of India.
Appeal/Complaint at CIC
RTI Act confers right to access to information held by a Public Authority on all Citizens. In case, you have been denied the access to information you may file Appeal / Complaint before the Central Information Commission(CIC).
When to file online complaint to CIC
- When you are unable to submit your application to a Central Public Information Officer, either by reason that no such officer has been appointed under this Act, or because the Central Assistant Public Information Officer has refused to accept your application for information or appeal under this Act for forwarding the same to the Central Public Information Officer or senior officer specified in sub-section (1) of section 19 or the Central Information Commission,
- If Central Public Information Officer has refused your request to access any information requested under this Act,
- If Central Public Information Officer has not given any response to your request for information or access to information within the time limit specified under this Act,
- If Central Public Information Officer asking you to pay an amount of fee which you considers unreasonable,
- If you believe that Central Public Information Officer has given you incomplete, misleading or false information under this Act,
- If you are not satisfied with the information provided by Central Public Information Officer, etc.
Required documents in PDF/JPG/GIF format
- BPL certificate (If you want exemption from fee)
- Proof of age (If you are a senior citizen)
- Health certificate (If you are Physically Handicapped)
- Any documents, you want to submit in support of your case
- All document should be in PDF/JPG/GIF format
- File size of the attached document should not be more than 2 MB
Process of online application
- Click here to start applying online
- Fill the form and attach required document,
- After filling the form click on “Save as Draft/Submit” button
- Once the form is saved as draft, an unique complaint ID is provided,
- If you are submitting your document as “Save as Draft”, in that case you will be able to edit the form before final submission
Check your complaint status
- After submitting the application,you can also check the status of application.
- Please click here to check your complaint status.