An ‘Open API’ policy was notified by Ministry of Electronics and IT (MeitY) in July 2015 with an objective to develop an open and interoperable platform to enable seamless service delivery across government, thereby providing access to data & services and promoting citizen participation for the benefit of the community. It was felt that to provide impetus to the policy implementation an API platform to act as an API Marketplace cum Directory Portal is necessary. Hence MeitY has initiated API Setu also known as the Open API Platform project in March 2020. This platform aims to bring the policy into realization.
The platform aims to address the following challenges in implementing the Open API Policy:
- Lack of API availability
- Proprietary standards and protocols
- Absence of common data standards
- Lack of overarching governance structure across departments, common policy, control, accounting and monitoring for APIs
- Facilitate implementation of Open API Policy
- To build an open and interoperable digital platform to enable seamless service delivery across government silos
- To enable quick and transparent software integration with other e-Governance applications and systems.
- To promote ‘API first' approach, enabling an ecosystem of value-added services and related cost savings
- To enable and promote safe and reliable sharing of information and data across various e-Governance applications and systems.
- Promote innovation through the availability of data from e-Governance applications and systems to the industry and public.
- Provide guidance to Government departments in developing, publishing and consuming these APIs
- Get access to hundreds of APIs : Explore a world of APIs for your organization. API Setu provides access to information from multiple sources through a single platform. You can use APIs for a variety of use cases such KYC, university admissions and employment.
- API Publishers : Standardized access to your data and services through a common interface. Control and monitor access to your APIs from a single platform. Enable safe and reliable sharing of information across various applications.
- API Consumers : A single platform to access a variety of information and services. Enable quick and transparent integration with other applications. Promote innovation through the availability of data and services in a standardized manner.
- Learn the Best API Development Practices : Resources aggregated from web for you to learn more about industry standard API development practices. The topics vary from basics of REST APIs to new OpenAPI specification.
Source : API Setu portal
- Government of India’s Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) Policy
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.