Value added services (VAS)in mobiles means those services that are offered by telecom service providers to customers beyond the core services like SMS, voice and data. The services may either be free / chargeable. The major areas where VAS are provided include entertainment, e-commerce, sports, etc.
As per TRAI regulation, a service provider cannot activate any value added service, whether chargeable or free of charge, without the explicit consent of a customer. In case the subscriber seeks to unsubscribe the value added service within 24 hours from the time of its activation, the service provider has to deactivate the value added service and adjust or refund the deductions made if any.
Mobile users who receive such VAS without subscribing for those services can now deactivate them easily. A uniform toll free short code number “ 155223 ” has been assigned to deactivate the Value Added Services (VAS) in an easy, user friendly and transparent manner through SMS and IVRS.
Procedure to deactivate any VAS through SMS mode
- Type “STOP” and send it to 155223 from your mobile phone. (A blank SMS may also be sent to 155223)
- You will get a list of all VAS services activated on your mobile number.
- Now reply back with the option of the VAS you want to deactivate, selected from the list of VAS activated on your phone.
- You will receive an SMS informing the receipt of your deactivation request (with the name of VAS) that the service will be deactivated within 4 hours. (In case of incorrect response sent by you, an SMS will be sent to you informing the method once again)
- After actual deactivation of VAS, you will receive a n SMS to confirm that the service (with the name of VAS) has been deactivated.
Procedure to deactivate VAS through IVRS mode
- In each State, the IVRS is available with an option of minimum 2 languages – English and the dominant language of the state.
- On dialing 155223, you will be offered over a recorded announcement, the list of VAS activated on your mobile number. e.g. “...welcome to XYZ Telecom Ltd....to Stop Caller Tunes Press 1, to Stop Cricket Alert press 2...... to repeat press 0...” (in case Caller Tune and Cricket Alert are active)
- You can select the VAS to be deactivated, by pressing the appropriate key for the VAS to be deactivated. e.g. “to deactivate Cricket Alert, you shall press 2.”
- You will receive an SMS informing that the request to deactivate the VAS has been received; it will be deactivated within 4 hours.
- After deactivation of the VAS, another SMS confirming the deactivation of VAS will be sent to you. In case of wrong key pressed or no key pressed for 10 seconds: You will be informed that the key pressed is wrong and the list of activated VAS will be repeated once again.
- If you are not able to press correct key again, you will be transferred to a call center agent.
Note: Subscribers, who wish to deactivate any of the VAS on 155223, will not be diverted to any other helpline for deactivation of VAS.
Source : TRAI
- TRAI Consultation Paper on Mobile Value Added Services