Video tutorial on how to book e-Tickets
- Register as an individual. Registration is FREE.
- Login by entering your user name and password.
- The "Plan my travel" page appears.
- If the From/To station selected by you are correct in the route of the train then :
- Select e-Ticket option.
- To find train list, click on "Submit" option.
- The List of Trains show the number of trains available for that route.
- If you wish to know the route and the timings, click on the train name under the "List of Trains" option.
- To get the fare, click on class available in the selected train under "List of Trains". It will show fare according to type of class selected. The fare appearing is for a single adult Passenger and the service charges charged by IRCTC.
- To select the train from the train list, click on the type of class available in the selected train.
- If you will click on the class in the train list then it will show the train details with availability.
- To book tickets, click on "Book Now" button under availability option. Then you will see below the options
- If you wish to select other train, click on "RESET" button.
- Ticket reservation page appears; check whether the train name and the station names displayed on the top of the page are same as desired by you.
- Enter the names of the Passengers, age, sex and berth preference for each Passenger. The maximum length of names should be restricted to 15 characters. If the Passenger is a senior citizen (60 years and above for male and 58 years and above for female) and wants to avail Senior Citizens' concession (40% of Base fare for male and 50% of base fare for female), click the box provided. Senior citizens are requested to carry some proof of age in original during their journey. A sample form is reproduced below. (The allotment of your required berth depends on the availability).
- The ticket details, availability of tickets at the particular time and the fare, including the service charge, appear on the screen, along with the payment option Follow the instructions.
- "Payment Option" Select the Payment Mode and Bank From the Drop Down List.
- Click on the "Make Payment" It redirect to selected Bank Site.
- After successful payment and booking of accommodations, the User is shown the ticket confirmation details along with a “Print Reservation Slip” Button. On clicking the button ERS is shown with an option to print.
- The customer can subsequently also print Electronic Reservation Slip from the 'BOOKED TICKETS' link on the left navigation bar.
Cancellation Of e-Ticket - A Guide
- If user wishes to cancel his e-ticket GO TO 'My Transactions' and Click 'Booked Ticket History' link on the menu bar, select the ticket to be cancelled and click on 'Go For Cancellation' and can initiate the cancellation by selecting the passengers to be cancelled.
- User has to select only those passangers who are to be cancelled in case of partial cancellation of ticket. in case of partial cancellation the passanger should get a fresh printout of the ERS for the passangers continuing their journey.
If the ticket is partially cancelled, a fresh Electronic Reservation Slip needs to be carried by the Passenger.
Restriction on Login for Booking of Train e-Tickets
- One booking in one user login session and forced logging out of the user before another booking for all users including IRCTC agents but excluding defence booking under warrant only.
- This restriction will be applicable while booking of e-ticket between 0800 and 1200 hours. However, this restriction will not be applicable while booking onward journey/return journey e-tickets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. How to register at IRCTC?
- Please follow the steps as described in “Registration Procedure” section or Click on this http://contents.irctc.co.in/en/userregistration.html to get step by step guide to see how to register at irctc.
Q2. Do I need Identity card while booking e-ticket?
Q3. Do I need to carry Identity card during journey?
- Yes. The following photo identity cards are considered valid.
- Voter photo identity card issued by Election Commission of India.
- Driving Licence issued by RTO
- Pan Card issued by Income Tax Department.
- Photo Identity card having serial number issued by Central / State Government.
- Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School/College for their students.
- Nationalized Bank Passbook with photographs.
- Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph.
- Photo identity cards having serial number issued by public sector Undertakings of State/Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal bodies and Panchayat Administrations.
- Unique Identification Card "Aadhaar”.
Q4. How can I make payment to book e-ticket?
- You can use Net banking, credit card, debit card or cash card/wallets to book the ticket.
Q5. While doing the payment transaction, internet got disconnected. Payment has been done but no ticket booked. What to do now?
- If no ticket is booked, payment will be refunded to your account within few days.
Q6. What are the charges for cancellation of e-Tickets?
- Cancellation charge per passenger on confirmed (reserved w.e.f. 12.11.2015) tickets:-
(i) 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train minimum cancellation charge
1st AC/executive class: Rs. 240
2 AC/1st Class : Rs. 200
3AC/ACC/3A economy: Rs. 180
Second sleeper class : Rs. 120
Second class : Rs. 60
(ii). Between 48 hours and 12 hours before the scheduled
departure of the train @ 25% subject to minimum charge as per (i) above.
(iii) between 12 hours and 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train @ 50% subject to minimum charge as per (i) above.
(iv) No refund after the above prescribed time limit.
Please refer to http://www.indianrail.gov.in/refund_Rules.html for more and latest details.
Q7. What if I forget to carry Photo Identity card?
- One of the passenger booked on an E-ticket in a PNR is required to present any of the ten identity cards in original during the train journey and same will be accepted as a proof of identity failing which the passenger will be treated as travelling without ticket and shall be dealt as per extant Railway Rules.
Q8. How to postpone/prepone journey in e-ticket?
- This can be done on line by cancelling the original ticket and booking a fresh ticket.
Q9. How to change name of passenger in e-ticket?
- To know the procedure of changing the name of passenger refer to http://contents.irctc.co.in/en/Eticket_new_cancel.html .
Q10. Can partial cancellation be done in e-ticket?
- Yes. Partial Cancellation can be done. You can log on to www.irctc.co.in and go to “Booked Tickets” link and select the ticket to be cancelled and can initiate cancellation by selecting the passengers to be cancelled. If there is any partial cancellation of ticket please ensure that the modified ticket (Electronic Reservation Slip) is printed separately as for the original ticket.
Q11. Can I book break -journey ticket in e-ticket?
- Presently this facility is not available for internet tickets
Q12. Can I change the boarding station?
- Yes, you can. All you have to do is submit a written request to the Reservation Supervisor of the Original boarding station or contact any Computerized Reservation Centre, at least 24 hours before the department of the train. However, no refund is permissible for the unused portion of the journey. Such changes can be made only once.
Q13. Can I extend my journey beyond the original destination?
- Yes, Indian Railways allow extension of journey. This can be done by approaching the ticket checking staff either before reaching your destination or after completion of booked journey. The fare for the extended portion of the journey will be collected without the benefit of telescopic rates.
Q14. Can my confirmed ticket be transferred to somebody else?
- If you are holding a confirmed ticket and are unable to travel, your ticket can be transferred to your family members viz., father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, husband or wife. To transfer your ticket, you must submit your request atleast 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train. Tickets can also be transferred.
- To another Government Servant traveling on duty, atleast 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train.
- To other students of recognized Educational Institution when the Principal/Head makes a request at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train.
- To other members of the marriage party, if the head of such a party makes a request at least 48 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train.
- To other cadets of NCC, if the head of the group makes a request atleast 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train. Such changes can be made only once. If the request does not exceed 10% of the total number of group members.
Q15. How much luggage can one person carry while travelling in Indian Railways?
- Click on this link to get full details - http://www.indianrail.gov.in/luggage_Rule.html
Q16. Can I carry my Dog in the train?
- Yes. You may carry on following certain rules as detailed here http://www.indianrail.gov.in/luggage_Rule.html
Source: IRCTC , Indianrail.gov