Reservation for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) is being implemented in respect of recruitment for Civil posts and services in government and admission in educational institutions.
Quantum of reservation
The persons belonging to EWSs who, are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs shall get 10% reservation in direct recruitment in civil posts and services in the Government and admission in educational institutions.
Exemption from reservation
"Scientific and Technical" posts which satisfy all the following conditions can be exempted from the purview of the reservation orders by the Ministries/ Departments:
- The posts should be in grades above the lowest grade in Group A of the service concerned.
- They should be classified as "scientific or technical" in terms of Cabinet Secretariat [OM No. 85/11/CF-61(1) dated 28.12.1961], according to which scientific and technical posts for which qualifications in the natural sciences or exact sciences or applied sciences or in technology are prescribed and, the incumbents of which have to use that knowledge in the discharge of their duties.
- The posts should be 'for conducting research' or 'for organizing, guiding and directing research'.
- Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs and whose family has gross annual income below Rs 8 (Rupees eight lakh only) are to be identified as EWSs for benefit of reservation. Income shall also include income from all sources i.e. salary, agriculture, business, profession, etc. for the financial year prior to the year of application.
- Also persons whose family owns or possesses any of the following assets shall be excluded from being identified as EWS, irrespective of the family income:
- 1.5 acres of agricultural land and above;
- Residential area of 1000 sq ft. and above;
- Residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities;
- Residential, plot of 200 sq. yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.
- The property held by a "Family" in different locations or different places/cities would be clubbed while applying the land. or property holding test to determine EWS status.
- The term "Family" for this purpose will include the person who seeks benefit of reservation, his/her parents and siblings below the age of 18 years as also his/her spouse and children below the age of 18 years.
Proof of EWS - Documents required
The benefit of reservation under EWS can be availed upon production of an Income and Asset Certificate issued by a Competent Authority. The Income and Asset Certificate issued by any one of the following authorities in the prescribed format shall only be accepted as proof of candidate's claim as belonging to EWS.
- District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendary Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate / Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner
- Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar and
- Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides.
Source : Department of Personnel & Training, GoI
Income and Asset Certificate
Supporting documents required for issue of Income and Asset Certificate
- Application Form
- Ration Card/EPIC Card/Aadhaar Card
- Copy of IT Returns/Pay Slip
- PAN card
- Affidavit/Self declaration
Note : The documents might vary from state to state.
State-wise links for obtaining Income and Asset Certificate
- Andhra Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- West Bengal