Tips to de-stress during exams
Stress comes in all forms and is an unavoidable consequence of life. Transient feeling of anxiety and Stress is part of life for every individual. In the course of normal development transient feeling of anxiety is experienced and usually mastered by every child and adolescent. Anxiety may be focused around certain issues or situation.
A mild degree of anxiety and stress may be stimulating and motivating, and may help to overcome stress; but high degree of stress may be disrupting.
Appearing for examination is one of very common situation, which an adolescent finds difficult of cope up with. Right approach and right coping strategies may stimulate an adolescent to overcome anxiety and maximize own performance in the examinations.
Common Physical reaction during exam preparations
- Muscle tension
- Sleep difficulties
- Repaid uneven or pounding heartbeat
- Frequent urge to pass urine
- Fast, shallow breathing
- Chest discomfort
- Change in appetite
- Constipation or diarrhea
Psychological Reaction to Stress
- Feeling under pressure frustration and aggression
- Feeling tense and unable to relax
- Feeling mentally drained out
- Fussy, gloomy or suspicious being constantly frightened or irritable
- Inability to concentrate or complete the task.
Key Messages to de-stress
The 5 "A's" for Controlling the Exam Stress : Acknowledging, Appreciating, Alleviating, Altering & Avoiding.
- Acknowledge the stress and strain because every one faces it. In everyday life, stress manifests as mental or physical tension, which you would rather not have, recognize stress as inevitable.
- Appreciating what causes your stress. Then, instead of blaming yourself or failing of cope; you end up pinpointing the real problem and tackling that.
- Alleviating the pressures is all about resorting to simple stress-busting techniques. Perhaps you have a calming visual to look at when you need a mental escape from your surrounding. Or you may relax your muscle before you go to sleep.
- Altering your lifestyle is the next step towards Exam Stress. Once you've seen the benefits of relaxation, it will encourage you to develop more permanent ways of reducing stress. If stress continues to be persistent, either you haven't tried the major stress alleviating formulae or alternately your haven't kept them up long enough to deliver the needed result.
- Avoiding last step is the toughest but also the most beneficial. You have to start avoiding stress building habits and burnouts. Avoid smoking - a serious stress builder exercise briefly but regularly, make an effort to maintaining a normal weight, eat regular balanced meals and get adequate sleep.
The must Do's for students
- Know your concentration span, Study with breaks.
- Work out best time for concentration
- Group study for difficult subjects.
- Do Not let pervious results discourage you-identify your weak areas from previous exams and work on them.
- Time Management plan must be made for all subjects.
- Choose a study place with minimum distractions and auto suggest to your self about your resolution.
- Try to coincide study time with the time, you would be giving an exam.
- In case of average achievers, master what you know and are comfortable with.
- For low achievers, master the essential information first.
- Prioritize the workload. Give your best concentration time to the toughest subject.
- Repeat your learnt work so the recall in exam is easy. Work not repeated or revised is easily forgotten.
- Try to plan your revision time by drawing up a timetable. Build in time for the things you enjoy - like watching your favourite TV programme, going out with your friends, or going to play football in the park.
- Give yourself a few treats - pamper yourself with a long hot bath, or listen to your favourite CD for an hour after you have finished your revision.
- Relax with what you know before entering the exam hall.
- Do not get anxious about the result - cross that bridge when you come to it - options await.
Source : CBSE
Last Modified : 9/14/2022
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.