Hyderabad District is a city-district in the state of Telangana which includes a part of the metropolitan capital city area of Hyderabad. It is the smallest in terms of area, among all the districts in the state, but has the highest human density.
Old MCH area, which forms the central region of Hyderabad city falls under this district. Hyderabad district was formed initially in the year 1948 followed by Police Action by merging the Atraf-a-Balda District and Baghat Districts. In the year 1978, Hyderabad district was later split into Hyderabad Urban District and Hyderabad Rural. Currently, Hyderabad Urban district is known as the Hyderabad district.
Hyderabad district occupies an area of approximately 217 square kilometers. According to the 2011 census the population of this district was 3,943,323. Hyderabad is known as the City of Pearls, as it had once flourished as a global center for trade of rare diamonds, emeralds as well as natural pearls.
The historic Mecca Masjid is located adjacent to Charminar in a south-west direction. The construction of this mosque started in the year 1614 by Sultan Muhammad Qutb Shah and was Aurangzeb completed in 1693. Built with local granite, it finds place among largest mosques in India and is the most important and largest one in the city. The arched gallery displays the tombs of all the Nizam’s from the year 1803.
The mosque has a length of 225 feet and is 180 feet wide with a height of 75 feet. The name is derived from the Grand Mosque in Mecca on which it is modeled. The hall has a dimension of 67 metres x 54 metres x 23 metres. The roof is rested on 15 arches.
There is a high blocking wall on the western side for Mehrab. It has two huge octagonal columns, which are created from a single piece of granite. This is inturn topped by an arched gallery crowned by a dome. This mosque can accommodate 10,000 worshipers at any time. It is located two hundred yards from Charminar. The mosque was believed to have used bricks during its construction where brought from Mecca. A room in the courtyard is believed to house a sacred relic of the prophet. According to history, Sultan Muhammad Qutub Shah invited the entire devout religious elders in the city to lay the foundation stone but as no one had come forward, Sultan Muhammad himself volunteered to lay foundation and it is said that he never missed his midnight prayer in life right from the age of 12. Visitors coming to Charminar also visit the holy mosque, which lends a divine aura to the Muslim worshippers in the old city of Hyderabad.
Multi Purpose Cultural Complex is a museum-cum-cultural centre of the Government of Telangana which is being developed by the state government to host the rich traditions, cultural icons and historical artefacts of Telangana state.
An impressive Heritage gallery, developed by the Department of Heritage Telangana, was inaugurated on April 18th, 2014 here in connection with the World Heritage Day celebrations. This complex hosts many Prehistoric, Neolithic, Megalithic and Early historical artefacts gathered from Amarabad, Yeleshwaram and Andugula.
There are also Copper plates, Coins, Wooden objects, Arms and Weapons, Stone sculptures, Porcelain ware objects, copies of Ajantha and Chugthai paintings on display here, which captures the attention of the visitors.
During the reign of Qutb Shahi dynasty, Golconda was the capital. This was the period during which Sultan Zam Sheed, Ibrahim Qutb Shahi and IVth Sultan, Mohammed Quli, who was also the founder of Hyderabad, ascended the throne. At that time, during the reign of the Sultans, the capital came to be known as Mohammed Nagar. Being the capital city, all the major religious, military, administrative offices and important buildings were built here.
One such building is the Khazana Building. As the name suggests, Khazana Building was the place where the kingdoms Khazana or treasure was stored. It was the treasury of Ibrahim Qutb Shahi. Khazana Building is located close to the Golconda Fort in Hyderabad. Located on the main road, on the way from Fateh Darwaza to Bala Hissar road, the building is also known as Khazana Building Museum. When tourists enter the Khazana Building Museum, they can first notice the guard rooms of the royal treasury of the Qutb Shahi dynasty. As with most Islamic buildings, there are religious centres inside the complex- Ashrafi Mosque in the eastern quarters of the building and Chani Mosque (built during Ibrahim Qutb Shahi time, 1550 AD – 1580 AD), the smaller mosque of the two. Located opposite to the Khazana Building Museum is Sham Sheer Kota. During the reign of Ibrahim Qutb Shah, royal arms and weaponry were stored in this building.
Khazana Building has a majestic central arch, on the sides of which are two halls. The arch supports the roofs of these halls. The halls had a special purpose too, these were storehouses of the royal treasury of the army and government of Qutb Shahi. The central arch leads to the Courtyard and the gardens. Today, there are Canons from the Qutb Shahi Period on display, here. Also, stone sculptures from neighboring regions, of the Chalukya and Kakatiya period as well as Qutb Shahi and Bahmani dynasties are on exhibition. From rare coins to centuries-old relics unearthed during various excavations, the region’s treasure of history and heritage are displayed at the Khazana Building Museum.
The structural edifice in the premises of the Directorate office, i.e., Pavilion was constructed by the Irrigation and Projects department in the year 1976 and handed over to the department of Archaeology & Museums in 1990 with a view to display antiquities and art objects recovered from submergence areas of Yeleswaram and Srisailam Reservoirs of Krishna valley and also to preserve other collections excavated in the state.
Therefore the Srisailam Pavilion was established in the year 1976 in the premises of Director, Department of Heritage Telangana, Gun Foundry, Hyderabad. The Centenary Heritage Museum showcases terracotta, stucco, prehistoric, megalithic, and iron artifacts, early historic objects, temple sculptures and door-jambs collected from the submergence area of the Srisailam Project.
The State Museum located in Public Gardens, Hyderabad, is one of the richest repositories of antiquities and art objects in the country. The present Museum building reflects the Indo-Islamic architecture with subtle domes, high arches, stylistic windows and projected eves.
Archeologist Henry Cousens was the first person to explore the site during the beginning of the 19th century, and later the mound was excavated which was done under the supervision of Nizam of Hyderabad. The excavated items were placed in a museum built on the ancient site in 1920s by Mir Osman Ali Khan, VII Nizam. The Museum was formally inaugurated in the year 1931. The Nizam had contributed his personnel collection of art objects along with the antiquities recovered from his dominion for display. The Hyderabad Museum was subsequently renamed, as the State Museum under the Department of Heritage Telangana.
The first tourist attraction that comes to mind when one thinks of Hyderabad is Charminar, which is located in the heart of the city. Mohammed Quli Qutub Shah constructed this monument in the year 1591. The architecture of Charminar reflects Cazia style. The idea behind constructing the monument was to ward off deadly epidemic, which claimed many lives during that period. The four minarets are 48.7 meter tall. There is a mosque and 45 prayer spaces inside Charminar.
The name Golconda finds its root in “Golla Konda”, which means Shepherd’s Hill. The fort was originally constructed during the period of Yadava Dynasty and later it was under the control of many other dynasties namely Kakatiya Dynasty, Bahmani Dynasty from whom it went into the control of Qutb Shahis and later Mughal Dynasty. The Golconda fort dates back to 13th century. The acoustics effects are excellent in the fort. If you clap your hands at Fateh Darwaza, the sound can be clearly heard at Bala Hissar, which is located a kilometre away. The royal palaces and whispering walls are some of its main attractions.
Erected in the memory of the departed kings of Golconda, they are magnificent monuments that have withstood the test of time and nature’s vagaries. They are located one kilometer north of Golconda Fort’s called Banjara Darwaza. They are imposing marvels of architectural excellence that stand as the reminders of the glory of Golconda kings who are buried at the same spot. Built by the Qutub Shahis, these tombs are considered to be among the oldest historical monuments of Hyderabad.
These tombs are present in a large group on a raised platform. They resemble Persian, Pathan and Hindu architectural styles that makes use of grey granite, with stucco ornamentation and is a one-of-its-kind place in the world where the whole dynasty is buried at a single spot. They lie amidst beautifully landscaped gardens with intricately carved stonework.
The Tombs form the most reliable evidence of the Qutub Shahi dynasty and their architectural traditions. These are exquisite structures where every arch, columns, dome minarets, and galleries were created with finessed and are surrounded by landscape gardens called Ibrahim Bagh. It houses seven tombs dedicated to the former kings of Golconda. The tombs are dome like structures built on a square base. This is again surrounded by pointed arches. Each tomb is of quadrangular shape and rises around 9 to 15 meters above the terrace. The smaller tombs constitute single stories while the larger tombs are seen as two storied. The domes actually constituted of blue and green tiles, whereas only few pieces exist now. The Qutub Shahi Tombs are surrounded by enchanting minarets and there is magnificent tomb with a height of 42.5 m covered by large dome. The tombs were furnished with chandeliers and soft canopies on silver poles. These are the splendid mausoleums of the Golconda Sultans. During the Qutub Shahi period, legend says that these tombs were of great significance that even criminals taking refuge there were given pardon. The tombs were neglected after their reign until Salar Jung III took up their restoration works during the early 19th century. Today it is maintained well by the Department of Tourism with due focus on heritage preservation and restoration. It is a popular destination in the tourist circuit of Hyderabad and visitors coming to Golconda fort donot miss the tombs, which are marketed as a clubbed destination.
The noble families of Paigah, during the 18th century were among the most influential and powerful families of the Princely State of Hyderabad’s aristocracy. Claiming to be the descendents of the Hazrath Omar bin Al-Khattab, Islam’s second caliph, the nobles of Paigah were believed to be wealthier than the average Maharajah of the country and they were the only ones to have the privilege maintaining their own court, palaces, as well as their own private armies, which often numbered several thousands. Paigah is a Farsi world, which says “footstool”. It means Right-hand man in English.
Abdul Fateh Khan Tegh Jung is credited as the founder of the Paigah nobility. He founded the nobility when he served for the second Nizam, Salabat Jang. Sahams-ul-Mulk, Shams-ul-Doula, and Shams-ul-Umara, were the hereditary titles conferred to him by the Nizam. It means “the sun among the masses and nobles”. The Paigahs were given the responsibility to take care of the security and defense of the state. The Paigahs were very close to the Nizams.
The Paigahs, who were the great patrons of tarts have extended their unmatched grace and elegance even to their exquisite tombs. The Paigah Tombs that grace the city among the many wonders that fill the pages of the most promising history. The marvelous artistry of the Paigahs is shown in the mosaic tile work that has been inlaid. The Paigah tombs, located at the Pisal Banda suburbs in Hyderabad, are most intricately carved and are enclosed in facades of pierced marble. The tombs are the finest examples of the enthralling Indo-Islamic architecture, which is a blend of both features of Asaf Jahi and Rajputani style.
The magnificent palace is located on top of a hill, which is the reason for its name Falaknuma Palace, meaning Mirror of the Sky. The palace was built for the Fifth Paigah Emir by an architect from Italy. Nizam, the Sixth, bought it later. Nizam’s interest in arts can be gauged by the collections of statues, paintings, manuscripts and furniture from all parts of the world. The Sound and Light Show held here narrate the history of Golconda Fort and its glory.
The history of Hyderabad is so enticing that it feels like reading a wonderful love story and its glorious past is no less than a fairy tale. And the most interesting part of this novel forms the rule of the Nizams, which fills pages of history with legendary contributions of art, architecture and science.
A testimony to this aspect is seen in the form of the many exquisite monuments scattered all over the city. One such monument that in its striking sumptuousness still shows off the power of time immemorial is the engrossing Chowmahalla Palace. The name Chowmahalla refers to four palaces. The construction of the palace was initiated in the year 1750 by Nizam Salabhat Jung but it was Nizam Afzar-ud-Dawla Bahadur who saw that the palace was completed between the years 1857 and 1869. Originally, the palace covered 45 acres from Laad Bazaar on the north to Aspan Chowk Road which is on the south. The Chowmohalla complex is a replica of Shah’s Palace in Teheran, Iran. Presently the palace consists of two courtyards with graceful palaces, the grand Durbar Hall or the Khilwat. Gardens and fountains add to the elegance
Southern Courtyard is the oldest part of the complex. It comprises of four graceful palaces Tahniyat Mahal, Mahtab Mahal, Afzal Mahal, and Aftab Mahal. Northern Courtyard has been restored and is open to the public. The main attraction of this area is the Bara Imam, which is a long corridor. It has rooms on the east wing, which once served as the administrative wing. Another stunning construction is the Clock Tower. It houses the Khilwat Clock which still works perfectly.
Taramati Baradari is an attractive destination in Hyderabad. It is also a perfect way to spend an evening or a weekend. Haritha Resort run by Telangana Tourism here has all the amenities, which can give you a fresh lease of energy for a nice sojourn.
The rooms of the resort are spacious and user friendly. The resort has an Open Air Auditorium, which is ideal for corporate gatherings and private events. It also has an Air Cooled Theatre and Banquet Hall that are a perfect fit for special events, conferences and exhibitions. It comes with an attached pantry, a multi – cuisine A/C restaurant and a 50 PAX A/c Bar for spending some quality time.
The resort also has a souvenir shop and swimming pool that comes with a modern health club with best facilities for fitness and leisure. There are A/C suites and A/C rooms that can be an ideal way to enjoy luxury in the vicinity of a prominent monument. Spending time close to a heritage destination with best accommodation and quality food, with all trappings of a resort has never been this wonderful!
Shri Jagannath means the lord of the universe, the supreme solace and a savior for countless devotees across the globe. Since times immemorial, the powerful god’s magnificent and monumental shrine in Orissa draws lakhs of devotees. Jagannath Temple is dedicated to revered God Shri Krishna. Jagan means Universe and Nath is the Lord. He is one of the incarnations of Vishnu.
This temple is a replica of the original Jagannath Temple of Puri. However, this temple is much smaller and its design resembles the one in Puri, Orissa. The Hyderabad version of Puri’s temple was built on 3000-square yard area. It is located adjacent to the Telangana Bhavan in the posh suburbs of Banjara Hills. This temple is so captivating that it is tagged as one of the must-visit places of Hyderabad. The most appealing portion of the temple is its “Shikaram” (the peak or the top). It is about 70 feet in height. Sand stones brought from Orissa have been used in the construction of this temple, and that justifies its red colour and around 60 sculptors were employed to carve this awe-inspiring temple.
The main idols of the temple are Lord Krishna along with his brother BalaRama and sister Subhadra. It also houses five small temples in the premises, that are dedicated to Lord Ganesh (which is to the left of main entrance), Lord Shiva (in the front), Goddess Bhimala ( to the the left on back side), Goddess Lakshmi ( to the right) and two shrines for Navagraha and Shri Hanuman. The temple has three entrances while the main entrance opens right in front of the main temple. One cannot miss noticing the intricately done exterior carving which is considered iconic. The exteriors of the temple are completely made of sand stone while the sanctum sanctorum is done in plain brick wall from the inside. It is considered as one of the modern architectural marvels of Hyderabad city and draws hundreds of visitors every day. It is a place where the city’s Oriya community bond together.
Sri Ujjaini Mahakaali Temple is a popular temple devoted to Godess Mahakaali in Secunderabad area of Telangana. Devotees offer their prayers to the goddess every day at this 190-year old temple.
According to legend, in the year 1813, a Military Battalion was transferred to Ujjaini. This was a time when there was Cholera outbreak and thousands of people had reportedly perished. Suriti Appaiah who was part of the Military Battalion and his associates reportedly went to Mahakali Devasthanam at Ujjaini and offers prayers that if the people were saved from this epidemic, they would be installing the idol of Mahakaali at Secunderabad. Promptly after his return from Ujjaini, Sri Suriti Appaiah and his associates went ahead and installed the idol of Goddess Mahakaali which was made of wood at Secunderabad in July 1815. During the construction of sanctum sanctorum, a stone idol of Manikyalamma was reportedly found and even that idol was reportedly installed beside Sri Mahakaali Ammavaru.
Sri Suriti Appaiah later developed the temple with the help of philanthropic people and this was eventually taken over by the endowments department. Thousands of devotees offer prayers during Ashada jathara, which usually falls on Sunday and Monday.
The goddess Ujjain Mahakaali is seen in a Padmasana posture with four hands along with a sword, spear and also a essel of amrut damaru in the form of a beautiful stone idol. The idol is covered with silver and devotees make sacrifices after fulfillment of their wishes.
Mir Alam Tank is a fresh water tank in Hyderabad, Telangana located in the southern part of Musi river. It was once a primary source of drinking water to Hyderabad before the construction of Osman Sagar and Himayat Sagar.
The tank was named after Mir Alam Bahadur,then the Prime Minister of Hyderabad during Asaf Jah III reign, the third Nizam of Hyderabad state. Mir Alam Bahadur, is believed to have laid the foundation for the tank on July 20, 1804 which was then completed in a period of two years and declared open on June 8, 1806.
It is indeed a treat to watch engineering marvel that was built by a French engineer company comprising 21 semicircular arches for a total area of approximately one mile. It was reportedly planned by Michel Joachim Marie Raymond, the Frenchman to whom Hyderabad’s Raymond Tomb has been dedicated. Telangana Tourism provides boating facilities on the lake, which is operated from the premises of Nehru Zoological Park.
The royal city Hyderabad has seen steady growth, especially in the past ten years. The city went on to become cyber city with its progressive step up for global recognition. Amidst all the corporate hulla bulla and modernization, lies yet another jungle, which belongs to Mother Nature. While there are the busy IT parks in the cyber city, there is this complete antithesis of the megacity, a park that calms your senses and soothes your mind. The Kasu Bramhananda Reddy National Park is teeming with life that is not very sophisticated, more primitive and uncivilized and yet, so enlightening and exotically beautiful. This place is also called the KBR National Park, and yes, this is a must visit place.
Established in the year 1994 with an aim to protect the richness and biodiversity of the area it is built on, the enchanting Kasu Bramhananda Reddy National Park is sprawled over an area of about 156 hectares in the lush lanes of Hyderabad’s Jubilee Hills. The KBR Park is named after former Chief Minister Kasu Bramhananda Reddy. Apart from being breathtakingly picturesque, the park is also home to a variety of flora and fauna like most of the national parks. The park also has the magnificent Chittan Palace of the former Nizam of Hyderabad and a many other historic structures. There are some 600 species of trees and plants within the park’s vicinity, ranging from herbs, shrubs, to climbers and creepers. When it comes to the fauna, the park homes approximately 20 species of reptiles, 13 species of birds, 15 species of butterflies, 20 species of mammals, and a wide variety of invertebrates.
The 300-acre park with over 1500 wildlife species is located in Bahadurpur. It was established in the year 1959 and inaugurated in 1963. Lion, Royal Bengal tiger, white tiger, rhinoceros, orangutan and a lot more could be found here. Reptiles such as Indian cobra, star tortoises, and giant tortoises are also seen here. Elephant rides are available to enjoy the lush greenery.
Yet another popular tourist spot in Hyderabad is Asia’s largest artificial lake named Hussain Sagar Lake. It is located just 2 km away from the city’s center. It was excavated during the period of Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah in 1562 AD. The statue of Buddha in the middle of the lake is 16 meters tall. Boating facilities are available here. Apart from Hussain Sagar Lake, the surroundings has various parks such as NTR Gardens, Sanjeevaiah Park, Lumbini Park and so on.
The present day world has created its orbit around technology and modernism. The modern way of living has extensive demands and more and more of our Earth’s space and resources is what is at stake for. One can observe that national parks have eventually become the last sights of refuge for most indigenous species of animals as well as plants around the globe. Even governments of several countries have now become conscious of the importance of preserving these last species in wildlife sanctuaries.
The Mrugavani National Park in the state capital is an example of a beautiful national park turned major tourist attraction. What is most exciting is that in a land layered with exotic and immense natural resources like in India, it sure is a great achievement. The Mrugavani National Park, located at Chilkuru in Moinabad, is at a distance of about 25 kms from Hyderabad. The National Park is spread over 3.5 sq kms of pure, untamed land. The Indian government announced it a wildlife sanctuary in the year 1994 and since then, the park has been home to some 600 species of plants and animals. Like in the case of most national parks, even the Mrugavani national park has had least human intervention and interaction in order to make sure that all the precious creatures remain undisturbed in their cozy natural habitat.
We can see that the park has a topography made up of several rocky exposures that are characteristic of Deccan formation. The fauna of the wildlife sanctuary is as varied as they come. Foxes, black-naped hares, Wild boars, as well as Indian vipers are the most striking species for the curious traveler.
Birla Mandir, is situated at the southern end of Hussain Sagar at the top of the hill. This beautiful temple built using white marble offers a stunning view of the lake and the city. The construction resembles the architectures of South Indian and Oriyan temples.
Salarjung Museum was founded in the year 1951. The museum has stunning collections and most of them were from Mir Yousuf Ali Khan, famously called as Salar Jung III. The collections are exhaustive and could be classified as Indian Art, European Art, Art of the Middle East, Far Eastern Art and a section for children.
Source:Portal Content team