Medak is an important district of Telangana. Medak region was named by QutubShahis as Gulshanabad due to the lush greenery. It is surrounded by Kamareddy, Siddipet and Sangareddy districts.
The district is spread over an area of 2,740.89 square kilometres. According to the 2011 Census of India, the district has a population of 7, 67,428.
The Medak Fort lies in Medak town which is the district headquarters of Medak District. The fort was initially known as Methuku Durgam and was constructed in the 12th century by the Kakatiyan rulers. Later, several modifications and renovations were done to the structure by the Qutub Shahi rulers. The architecture of the fort represents a blend of Hindu and Islamic styles. The three main entrances of the fort are known as the Prathama Dwaram, Simha Dwaram and Gaja Dwaram. The huge boundary walls of the fort have several bastions carved from the rocks and boulders of the hillock. The fort has a 17th century mosque that was constructed by the Qutub Shahi rulers. These rulers also added a 3.2 m long cannon to the fort during the mid 17th century to secure the fort from the attack of neighbouring kingdoms.
The Pocharam Wildlife Sanctuary is located on the shores of the Pocharam Lake. Spreading over an area of around 130 sq km, this sanctuary covers regions of Nizamabad and Medak districts. The sanctuary, having southern tropical mixed dry deciduous forests, provides natural habitat to five species of antelope and deer. This densely covered forest area is home to leopard, wild dog, forest cat, wolf, sloth bear, jackal, sambar and nilgai. The four horned antelope and chinkara are some of the other animals inhabiting the sanctuary. The Pocharam Reservoir is the closest water body to the sanctuary, where birds like bar-headed goose, brahminy duck and painted stork can be spotted. The best time to visit this sanctuary is between the months of November and January.
The Pocharam Reservoir, also known as the Pocharam Dam Reservoir, is located around 14.6 km from the city centre of Medak. The reservoir was constructed between 1916 and 1922 across the Allair River, a tributary of the Manjira River. The Nizam's Bungalow, situated near the reservoir, was constructed in 1918. The island located in the centre of the reservoir is home to various species of shrubs. Boats are available near the reservoir for reaching the island.
Gottam Gutta, also known as the Gottam Gota, is situated near Zaheerabad town. This town has a thick vegetation cover of southern tropical mixed dry deciduous forest.
Edithanur is a village known for its beautiful cave paintings that date back to the Neolithic era. There is a group of granite hillocks having tunnels, natural caves and cavities at the site. The rock paintings excavated from the site belong to the earliest human settlements and are preserved in the Archaeological Museum in Kondapur town.
The Medak Cathedral is located near the city centre of Medak. This church is considered as the seat of the Bishop and is counted amongst the largest churches in South India. The cathedral controls the Diocese of Medak, which is the second largest in the world and the single largest diocese in Asia. The church was consecrated on 25th December, 1924. The cathedral stands on the site where a small worshipping place for Christians was located during the 19th century. It was constructed on the orders of Charles Walker Posnett, an administrator of the British army soldiers at Trimulgherry.
Built in 12th century, Edupayalu temple is one of the most famous and powerful temple in Telangana. River Manjeera flows as seven streams and they confluence at this place. Dedicated to Goddess Durga, the seven streams of Manjeera river were formed with the names of seven ancient sages called Jamadagni, Atri, Kasyapa, Viswamitra, Vasistha, Bharadwaja and Gowtama. The idol of the goddess is situated in the middle of these 7 streams. In rainy season the river water flow in heights and reach the legs of goddess and thousands of devotees come to Edupayala to watch this amazing scene.
The Wargal Saraswati Temple is one among the few temples of goddess Saraswati in Telangana. Also known as Sri Vidya Saraswati Temple, it was built by Sri Yamavaram Chandrashekhara Sharma. The temple foundation stone was laid in 1989. On 1992 Sri Vidya Nrusinha Bharati Swamy has laid the foundation to the statues of Goddess Sri Vidya Saraswathi Devi and Lord Shani. Now it is maintained by Kanchi Mutt.
Source: Portal Content team