Impactful Policy Research in Social Science (IMPRESS) aims to encourage social science research in policy relevant areas so as to provide vital inputs in policy-formulation, implementation and evaluation.
The IMPRESS is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India and is being implemented by the Indian Council of Social Science Research. The scheme was sanctioned in August 2018 at a total cost of Rs.414 Cr for implementation up to 31.3.2021.
- To identify and fund research proposals in social sciences with maximum impact on the governance and society.
- To focus research on (11) broad thematic areas such as : State and Democracy, Urban transformation, Media, Culture and Society, Employment, Skills and Rural transformation, Governance, Innovation and Public Policy, Growth, Macro-trade and Economic Policy, Agriculture and Rural Development, Health and Environment, Science and Education, Social Media and Technology, Politics, Law and Economics. The Sub-Theme areas will be decided on the basis of Expert Groups’ advice before notifying the scheme and calling for applications.
- To ensure selection of projects through a transparent, competitive process on online mode.
- To provide opportunity for social science researchers in any institution in the country, including all Universities (Central and State), private institutions with 12(B) status conferred by UGC.
- All Government funded institutions including Universities ( central and state ) , private institutions with UGC 12(b) status and ICSSR Research Institutes are eligible to apply.
- The Project Director should be a regular employee, possessing Ph.D. degree and have an interest in high quality research which may be evidenced by past studies, publications and academic background. In case the project has co-Director(s), they should have proven research interest.
- Retired faculties with proven research interests can also apply under the scheme but they would be required to get themselves affiliated to any of the research institutions mentioned in clause Point 1.
- Individual scholars can apply for maximum two projects at a time. However, in case both projects are selected, the applicant can choose only one project at level 3 . Institutes having good research infrastructure and resources may apply for a number of proposals.
How to apply
- There will be (4) calls for proposals – October, 2018, February 2019, September 2019 and February 2020. The process of evaluation of the proposals and selection will be completed within 90 days from the date of call for proposals.
- Online submission of the proposals can be made through the portal - https://icssr.org/impress
- After submitting the online application, a hard copy of the same, along with all enclosures, must be sent to: IMPRESS, Indian Council of Social Science Research, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi 110067 before the last date of such submission duly signed and stamped by the affiliating institution.
Source : IMPRESS portal
Last Modified : 9/7/2022
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.