Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child For PG Programs
The objectives of the proposed scheme are
- To support post graduate education of single girl child in postgraduate courses only.
- To recognize the value of observance of small family norm
- Any single girl child who happen to be a only child or twin daughter or fraternal daughter in the family, if one son and one daughter is available then girl child will not be considered for scholarship under the scheme.
- The scheme is applicable to such a single girl child who has taken admission in regular, full-time 1st year Master’s Degree course in any recognized university or a post graduate college.
- This scholarship is available to PG-I year student only.
- Admission to PG Course in distance education mode is not covered under the scheme.
Age: Girl students up to the age of 30 years at the time of admission in PG courses are eligible.
- Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under section 2(f) & and 12(B) of UGC Act.
- Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC. Those Deemed Universities which do not receive funds from the Central/ State Government are not eligible institutions under the scheme.
- Universities/Institutions/College funded by Central/State Government.
- Institutes of National Importance
Amount of Fellowship
Number of slots : 3000
Amount of fellowship: Rs.36,200/-p.a. for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
The awardee can avail of other scholarship also during the tenure of this scholarship.
Process for application
- The candidates fulfilling the eligibility conditions are required to apply online on National Scholarship Portal after initiation of application process and notice to be published on UGC website.
- The host institution where the candidate is studying is required to verify the online application.
- It is expected from the institutions where student has taken admission in the first year PG course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute from girl students to pursue PG degree course in Universities/Colleges/Institutions.
- The scholarship will be renewed for the next year of study on receipt of renewal.
- Students failing to get promoted to the next class/ level would forfeit the scholarship.
- Change in course of study will not be permitted. If the awardee changes the course of study, the scholarship will stand forfeited from the date of such a change.
- Scheme will be implemented and monitored by the UGC.
- The awardees of previous years will continue to follow the pattern of assistance through UGC/Canara Bank portal.
- Whether the candidate has to select "scholarship" or "incentive" in the type of scholarship for applying under the scheme?
The candidate has to opt for “incentive” to be able to apply under the scheme.
- Whether a girl child with a brother in the family is eligible to be considered under the scheme for award of scholarship.
No, only single girl child are eligible to apply under the scheme. However twin/ fraternal daughters are eligible to apply under this scheme.
- Whether a candidate who was within 30 years of age during admission to PG course but has crossed this limit at the time of application be eligible to be considered.
Yes. The candidate applying under the scheme can apply if she is below 30 years of age as on the last date of application too.
- Can a single girl child pursuing post graduation through distance mode apply under the scheme? No.
- After selection, is the awardee entitled for hostel fee reimbursement/ HRA or medical expenses?
No. The awardee is only entitled for scholarship amount. No HRA/contingency/hostel fee or medical expenses are admissible.
- Are the awardees eligible for waiver of tuition fee or its reimbursement?
No. Tuition fee reimbursement is not permitted. However, it is expected from the institutions where student has taken admission in the first year PG course, no tuition fees will be charged by the institute from girl students to pursue PG degree co urse in Universities/Colleges/Institutions.
- Can students of second year post graduation apply under the scheme?
No. The candidates who are pursuing first year postgraduate courses only can apply under the scheme.
- Can the awardee avail of any other scholarship scheme during the tenure of this award?
Yes. This scheme can be availed with any other scholarship scheme as this is an incentive.
Source: University Grants Commission
Last Modified : 3/2/2020
© C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.