Background of the Scheme
National Talent Search Scheme is a flagship activity of the NCERT started in the year 1963. The purpose of the scheme was to identify talented students and nurture their talent. Talent refers to the potentiality that manifests itself in a high level of performance in one or more specialized areas. The scheme, therefore, covers areas like Sciences, Social Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Management and Law. It honours and helps talented students by providing financial assistance in the form of a monthly scholarship. For the courses in Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages Commerce, vocational studies and fine arts this assistance is provided up to Ph.D. level. For professional courses like Engineering, Medicine, Management and Law this assistance is given only up to Post Graduation. The NCERT conducts the National Talent Search Examination for students studying in Class X only.
Coverage of the Scheme and Scholarship amount
On the basis of the examination conducted, 2000 scholarships will be awarded for different stages of education as follows.
- Scholarship of Rs.1250/- per month for Class XI to XII
- Scholarship of Rs.2000/- per month for UG and PG
- Amount of scholarship for PhD be fixed in accordance with UGC norms
Students of Class X studying in recognized schools are eligible to appear for Stage I examination conducted by the States/UTs in which the schools are located. There will be no domicile restriction.
Mode of Selection
- There will be two-stage selection process for award of scholarship. For Stage-I, selection will be done by States/UTs through a written examination. Students who qualify Stage I will be eligible to appear for Stage II examination conducted by NCERT. The written test is followed by an interview. Candidates qualifying the written examination at the national level are invited for an interview. The final award is made on the basis of combined scores of MAT, SAT and the interview.
The pattern of written examination for Class VIII will be as follows:
- Stage I examination at the State/UT level will comprise two parts, namely (a) Mental Ability Test (MAT) and (b) Scholastic Ability Test (SAT) covering social sciences, sciences and mathematics.
- Stage II examination at the National level will comprise (a) Mental Ability Test (MAT), (b) Scholastic Ability Test (SAT) covering Social Sciences, Sciences and Mathematics.
Total Number of Scholarships
- A total of (at least) 2,000 students are selected each year.
- Reservation: 15% scholarships are reserved for SC category students, 7.5% for ST category, 27 % for other backward classes and 4% for group of students with benchmark disabilities.
- Please visit the NCERT web site for Dates for Submission of Application Form and conduct of examination etc as they may change time to time.
- Please visit the NCERT web site for common application forma and admit card etc as they may change time to time
Any other information
For NTS National Level Examination Inquiry:
Phone No: 011-26560464; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
For State Level NTS Examination Enquiry: Contact the Liaison Officer of your State
For NTS Scholarship Inquiry:
Phone No: 011-26562704 (Timings 2.30 PM to 4.30 PM only); E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
For more details, click here
Source: National Council of Educational Research and Training
- FAQs - NTSE
- Consolidated Rules and Regulations for Disbursement of NTS Scholarship