Objectives of the scheme are:
- To support parents of ST children for education of their wards studying in classes IX and X so that the incidence of drop-out, especially in the transition from the elementary to the secondary stage is minimized, and
- To improve participation of ST children in classes IX and X of the prematric stage, so that they perform better and have a better chance of progressing to the post-matric stage of education.
- Scholarship under the Scheme will be available for studies in India only and will be awarded by the Government of the State/Union Territory to which the applicant belongs i.e. where she/he is domiciled.
Conditions of Eligibility
- Student should belong to Scheduled Tribe
- Her/his Parents’/Guardian’s income should not exceed Rs. 2.00 lakh per annum.
- She / he should not be getting any other Centrally-funded Pre-Matric Scholarship.
- She/ he should be a regular, full time student studying in a Government School or in a School recognized by Govt. or a Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
- Scholarship for studying in any class will be available for only one year. If a student has to repeat a class, she / he would not get scholarship for that class for a second (or subsequent) year.
Annual parents’/Guardian’s income
Scholarships will be paid to the students whose parents/guardians’income from all sources does not exceed Rs. 2,00,000/- (Rupees two lakh only) per annum.
NOTE 1: So long as either of the parents is alive, only income of the parents, as the case may be, from all sources has to be taken into account only and of no other member even though they may be earning. In the form of income declaration, income is to be declared on this basis. Only in the case where both the parents have died, the income of the guardian who is supporting the student in his/her studies has to be taken. Such students whose parent’s income is affected due to unfortunate death of one of earning parents and resultantly comes within the income ceiling prescribed under the scheme, shall become eligible for scholarship, subject to their fulfilling other conditions of eligibility, from the month in which such sad incidence takes place. Applications for scholarships from such students can be considered even after lapse of last date of receipt of applications, on compassionate grounds.
NOTE 2: House rent allowance received by the parents of a student shall be exempted from the computation of ‘income’ if the same has been permitted to be exempted for the purpose of Income tax.
NOTE 3: Income certificate is required to be taken once only i.e. at the time of admission to courses which are continuing for more than one year.
Value of Scholarship
The value of scholarship includes the following for complete duration of the course:-
- Scholarship and other grant,
- Additional allowance for students with disabilities studying in private un-aided recognized Schools.
|Scholarship for 10 months (Rs. per month)
|Books and Ad hoc Grant (Rs. per annum)
- Additional Allowances for ST students with disabilities studying in private unaided Schools
Under the Centrally-sponsored Scheme of ‘Inclusive Education of the Disabled at Secondary Stage’ (IEDSS) implemented by the M/o HRD, assistance @Rs.3000/- p.a. is already being given under its “Student Oriented Component” to students with disabilities studying at the Secondary stage in Govt., local body and Govt. aided schools. However, students in un-aided schools are not covered under IEDSS. Therefore, ST students with disabilities, studying in classes IX & X in private un-aided recognized schools, will be eligible for allowances under this Scheme, as follows:
|Allowances for students with disabilities studying in Private un-aided Schools
||Amount (in Rs.)
|(i) Monthly Reader Allowance for Blind students
|(ii) Monthly Transport Allowance for students with disabilities (as defined in the Persons with Disabilities Act 1995), if such students do not reside in the hostel which is within the premises of the Educational Institution.
|(iii) Monthly Escort Allowance for Severely Disabled (i.e.
with 80% or higher disability) Day Scholars/Students with
low extremity disability
|(iv) Monthly Helper Allowance admissible to any employee of the hostel willing to extend help to a severely orthopedically handicapped student residing in the hostel of an Educational Institution who may need the assistance of a helper.
|(v) Monthly Coaching Allowance to Mentally Retarded
and Mentally ill Students
Note: The disability as defined under the Persons with disabilities (equal opportunities, Protection of rights and full participation Act, 1995) Act has to be certified by competent medical authority of the State Govt./UT Administration.
Selection of Candidates
- All eligible Scheduled Tribe candidates will be given scholarships as prescribed in this scheme
- Candidates belonging to one State but studying in another State will be awarded scholarships by the State to which they belong and will submit their applications to the competent authority in that State.
Duration and Renewal of Awards
- The scholarship will be payable for 10 months in an academic year.
- The award once made will continue subject to good conduct and regularity in attendance. It will be renewed for Class X after the student passes Class IX.
Payment of Scholarship
- Scholarship is payable from 1st April or from the month of admission, whichever is later, to the month in which the examinations are completed, at the end of the academic year, provided that if the scholar secures admission after the 20th day of a month, the amount will be paid from the month following the month of admission.
- In case of renewal of scholarship, it will be paid from the month following the month upto which scholarship was paid in the previous year.
- The Government of the State/Union Territory Administration, to which they belong, in accordance with the procedure laid down by them in this regard, will pay the scholarship money to the selected students.
Source: National Scholarship Portal