Common Cold is relatively harmless condition. It can occur at any time throughout the year but the most common are in late winter and fall. It is most common in children.
This condition acts as a gateway to many other respiratory problems. It’s called the "common cold" because you may feel colder in this ailment, than any other type of illness. However, it should not be neglected.
Symptoms of common cold
Some of the common symptoms are listed below:
- Running or Blocked Nose.
- Sore/ Scratchy throat.
- Muscle Aches.
- Loss of Appetite.
- Mild fever with chills
- Leaves of holy basil (Tulsi) plant mixed with an equal quantity of dried ginger powder form an excellent substitute for tea during cold and flu. This may be taken by adding milk and sugar three times a day.
- Juice of ginger (Adrak) and holy basil (Tulsi) one-one tea spoon (5 ml.) mixed with one tea spoon (5 ml.) honey, to be taken two-three times a day.
- Powder of black pepper (marich) half tea spoon (2.5 ml.) mixed with jaggery (guda) two times a day.
- Small piece of Ginger (Adraka) fried in ghee, to be taken two times a day.
- One teaspoonful of the powder or paste of turmeric to a cup of milk or fried turmeric powder taken with 1-2 gm of ghee mixed with hot milk thrice a day. This gives immediate relief and help in early recovery.
- Gargle with warm turmeric powder 2-3 times a day to relieve sore throat.
- Drink a glass of hot water mixed with the juice of two lemons and sugar to taste. Take the same at bedtime as it gives relief from nasal catarrh.
- Two to three tea spoon (10-15 ml.) of fresh juice of Amla or half to one tea spoon (2.5-5 gm) powder of the same is ideal to control cold.
Prevention and Self-care
There are several ways in which you can keep the intensity of condition levels low.
Care of New Born during coughs & colds to avoid Acute Respiratory Infections
- Inhale steam to relieve a stuffed nose. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and the bowl with a towel for few minutes at a time. Be careful that the water is not so hot that the steam burns your face.
- Strengthen your immune system and keep yourself healthy. Two plants that will help you strengthen your immune system are Amla and Tulsi which may be used.
- Do not over heat the room. Let the body lose heat naturally.
- Keep away from others who are infected with cold.
- Eat a well balanced diet and get enough rest. Take plenty of hot beverages.
- Sooth the throat and relieve cough with a home remedy such as lemon with honey, ginger, tulsi, warm water etc.
- Above mentioned remedies may be used in small doses.
Source : Manual for ASHA/ANMs on general wellness and prevention of common ailments through Ayurveda
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.