Ayurveda for constipation
There are several causes for constipation like
- habit of suppressing the urge over long periods
- absence or non-availability of articles habitually used before defecation, such as drinking coffee or tea
- habituated use of laxatives.
- Triphala powder is very popularly used for this condition. It contains three drugs namely - Haritaki (Harada), Vibhitaki (Baheda) and Amalaki (Amla). 5gm of this powder (1 tea spoon) should be taken with luke warm water at bed time.
- The best to evacuate in chronic condition is castor oil. The castor oil used should be purified and diluted. The 4-6 tea spoon (20-30 ml.) of this oil is to be taken with warm milk.
- 1 Teaspoonful of Sana leaves (Sanay) in 1 cup of hot milk at bedtime is an easy method to relieve constipation.
- Drink a glass of water early in the morning after washing the face and mouth.
- It is a better idea, if you can take a glass of warm milk at bedtime after adding a teaspoonful of ghee to it.
- Beans, dry grains, cabbage, mushrooms and other dry food should be avoided.
- Spices, which balance digestion- asafoetida (Hing), Ginger (Adraka), Cardamom (Elayachi) or Fennel (Saunf), should be taken with food to alleviate and promote the downward movement of gas.
- Try to avoid hot and spicy food and adequate fluids should be taken.
- Eat plenty of fruits and leafy vegetables as Papaya and sugarcane are very effective in relieving constipation.
- Use whole wheat flour and not refined flour.
Source : Manual for ASHA/ANMs on general wellness and prevention of common ailments through Ayurveda
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.