Scientific name : Aloe barbadensis,
Family : Liliaceae
- Assamese : Musabhar, Machambar
- Bengali : Ghritakalmi
- English : Indian Aloe
- Gujrati : Eliyo, Eariyo
- Hindi : Musabhar, Elva
- Kannada : Karibola, Lolesara satva, Lovalsara, Lolesara
- Kashmiri : Musabbar, Siber
- Malayalam : Chenninayakam
- Marathi : Korphad
- Oriya : Musabara
- Punjabi : Kalasohaga, Mussabar, Alua
- Tamil : Kattazhi, Satthukkathazhai
- Telugu : Musambaram
- Urdu : Musabbar, Ailiva, Siber
- Gastritis: Consume 20gms of Aloevera gel at night before going to bed for 30 days. It decreases the inflammation and ulcers in the stomach and intestine
- Burns: External application of aloevera gel along with turmeric several times a day is useful in healing of wound due to burns.
- Fatty liver: Regular intake of 10gm of fresh aloevera gel twice a day purifies the blood and promotes liver function.
- Skin Care: External application the aloevera gel with honey followed by massage and leave it for 2 hours regularly. its promotes the softness of skin and dark spots become light.
- Hair fall: Mix aloevera gel and lemon juice, apply this mixture to the hair, leave this for 30-40 minutes and then rinse with water.
- Jaundice: 20gm fresh aloevera gel with lukewarm water on empty stomach early morning is very effective for Jaundice.
- Irregular periods: Consume 20 gm of fresh aloevera gel with 3gms of pepper powder twice daily for 3 months corrects the anaemia and irregular periods.
- Obesity: Daily intake of aloevera juice (20ml) on empty stomach early morning helps to reduce body weight, treats menstrual irregularities and pain during menstrual periods.
Scientific name : Crocus sativus
Family : Iridaceae
- Assamese : Kumkum
- Bengali : Jafran
- English : Saffron
- Gujrati : Keshar, Kesar
- Hindi : Keshar, Keshara
- Kannada : Kunkuma, Kesari
- Malayalam : Kunkuma Puvu
- Marathi : Keshar
- Punjabi : Kesar, Keshar
- Tamil : Kungumapuvu
- Telugu : Kunkuma Puvvu
- Urdu : Zafran
- Pregnant diet: Saffron advised to pregnant women starting about 7th month onwards. 5-6 stigmas of saffron have to be given with a cup warm milk at night.
- Acne: Prepare a paste of saffron (10 stigmas), 10 gms of sandal wood and rose water. Apply it as a face pack helps to reduce pimple, dark circle, acne, and increase fairness .
- Promotion of vision: Internal administration of 20mg of Saffron for 3 months proved significant improvement in vision acuity and retinal function. Also beneficial in macular degeneration.
- Alzheimerʼs disease: Intake of 15 mg of saffron twice daily is effective in mild to moderate Alzheimerʼs disease
- Debility: Consuming saffron badam milk (6 badam fried in Ghee, 7 saffron stigma are made paste and boiled in 100ml of milk in low flame for 5-10min) at night benefits to restore the functions of female and male reproductive system. It is indicated in low sperm motility premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction and low sperm count.
Scientific name : Holarrhena antidysenterica
Family : Apocynaceae
- Assamese : Dudhkuri
- Bengali : Kurchi
- English : Ester tree, Conessi bark
- Gujrati : Kuda, Kadachhal, Kudo
- Hindi : Kurchi, Kuraiya
- Kannada : Kodasige, Halagattigida, Halagatti Mara
- Kashmiri : Kogad
- Malayalam : Kutakappala
- Marathi : Pandhra Kuda
- Oriya : Kurei, Keruan
- Punjabi : Kurasukk, Kura
- Tamil : Kudasapalai
- Telugu : Kodisapala, Palakodisa
- Urdu : Kurch
- Diarrhea: Consuming Kutaja decoction( 3gms of bark boiled in 100 ml of water reduced into 1/4th ) three or four times a day is effective in diarrhoea, dyscentery, IBS etc.
- Intestinal worms: Take 3gms kutaja bark and 3 gms beal leave boiled in 100 ml of water reduced into 1/4th made a decoction. Taking this decoction twice daily pacifies intestinal worms, ulcerative colitis and simple abdomen colic too.
- Indigestion: Kutaj flower soup (500mg kutaja flower powder in one cup of water & add little salt, ghee, pinch of pepper boiled in low flame & made a soup) is a good appetizer in post fever, diarrhea and dyspepsia.
- Fever: Equal auautity of Kutaja seed, cumin seeds and fennel seeds made in to Powder. Internal administration of 5gms of this powder along with warm water twice or thrice a day relieves evening rise of temperature.
- Wound: Kutaja bark powder used to dust over the oozing ulcers. This relieves the secretion and helps in fast healing.
Scientific name : Mimosa pudica,
Family : Mimosaceae
- Assamese : Lajubilata, Adamalati
- Bengali : Lajaka, Lajjavanti
- English : Touch-me-not
- Gujrati : Risamani, Lajavanti, Lajamani
- Hindi : Chhuimui, Lajauni
- Kannada : Muttidasenui, Machikegida, Lajjavati
- Malayalam : Thotta Vati
- Marathi : Lajalu
- Oriya : Lajakuri
- Punjabi : Lajan
- Tamil : Thottavadi, Tottalchurungi
- Telugu : Mudugudamara
- Urdu : Chhuimui
- Diabetes: Intake of 15-20ml of whole plant juice of Lajjalu in early morning on empty stomach is beneficial in diabetes.
- Leucorrhea: The whole plant of Lajjalu powder given in the dose of 5 grams with rice water twice daily cures leucorrhea.
- Fungal infection: One part of the juice of Lajjalu plant is boiled with 4 parts of tila oil. This oil is externally applied over the affected area is useful to treat fungal infections
- Wound: 20gms of whole plant of Lajjalu paste boiled in 200 ml of water till it reduced to 50ml decoction. This is used to wash ulcers, diabetic ulcers, skin infections etc as it has significant wound healing activity.
- Piles: Lajjalu leaves fine paste should be applied as a poultice regularly on piles. it will greatly ease the burning and bleeding.
Scientific name : Allium sativum,,
Family : Liliaceae
- Assam. : Maharu
- Bengali. : Lasuna
- English : Garlic
- Gujarati : Lasan, Lassun
- Hindi : Lahasun
- Kannada : Bulluci
- Malayalam : Vellulli, Nelluthulli
- Marati : Lasun
- Punjabi : Lasan
- Tamil : Vellaipoondu
- Telugu : Vellulli, Tellapya, Tellagadda
- Urdu : Lahsan, Seer
- Cancer prevention: Garlic is the most powerful known enemy of carcinogens. Garlic also interferes with the growth or progress of cancer. Taking 7 cloves of fresh, raw garlic in the morning is one of the best steps towards prevention and recovery.
- High Cholesterol: Garlic is a powerful anti-coagulant food. It prevents blood clotting. It also prevents and treats atherosclerosis. Garlic will help in thin the blood, thereby reducing formation of blood clots within the arteries. Take 7 raw cloves of garlic every morning on empty stomach. This reduces the high cholesterol level thus preventing heart diseases.
- Earache: Crush 5 cloves of garlic and heat them in some sesame oil till they turn brown. Put 2 ‒ 3 drops of this oil in the painful ear.
- Head lice: Apply a mixture of garlic paste and lemon juice to the hair roots and then wash the hair after two hours.
- Digestive disorders: Crush 5-6 cloves of garlic and take with warm water or milk.
- Lactation: To increase lactation, mix 1 tsp of cumin, 7 cloves of fresh garlic, 1 tsp sugar in warm milk . Drink this garlic milk thrice a day.
Scientific name : Syzygium Aromaticum
Family : Myrtaceae
- Assamese : Lavang, Lan, Long
- Bengali : Lavang
- English : Clove
- Gujrati : Lavang, Laving
- Hindi : Lavanga, Laung
- Kannada : Lavanga
- Kashmiri : Rung
- Malayalam : Karampu, Karayarnpoovu, Grampu
- Marathi : Lavang
- Oriya : Labanga
- Punjabi : Laung, Long
- Tamil : Kirambu, Lavangam
- Telugu : Lavangalu
- Urdu : Qarnful, Laung
- Asthma: Coarse powder of 3 cloves, 12-15 basil (Ocimum sanctum) leaves, 10 black pepper is boiled in 200 ml of water till it reduced to 50ml. Administration of this decoction mixed with honey two times a day is beneficial in asthma.
- Headache: Local application of the fine paste of clove relives head ache.
- Nausea: In cases of nausea and vomiting, make a paste by combining clove powder with honey. Licking of this paste would relieve the nausea. Nausea can also be relieve by chewing 1 or 2 cloves.
- Bad Breath: Simply chew a few pieces of cloves .
- Dental caries: Clove oil is soaked in cotton applied on area of tooth pain or massage the teeth and gums gently with the clove powder twice daily followed by rinse the mouth with luke warm water is beneficial in dental caries.
- Joint pains: Application of a few drops of clove oil combined with mustard oil is beneficial in joint pain as well as muscular cramps.
- Acne: Use a paste of clove powder with honey over the acne is beneficial.
- Diarrhoea: Take equal quantity of cloves and pomegranate skin fine powder and mixed together. Take 5gms of the mixture along with 1/2 teaspoonful of honey 3 times a day.
Scientific name : Lawsonia inermis
Family : Lythraceae
- Bengali : Mehadi
- English : Henna
- Gujrati : Mendi
- Hindi : Mehandi
- Kannada : Goranta, Korate, Madarangi
- Malayalam : Mailanelu
- Marathi : Mendi
- Tamil : Marudum
- Telugu : Gorinta
- Urdu : Mehendi, Hin
- Burning feet: The paste of fresh leaves of Henna and lemon juice is bandaged onto the soles during night times relieves burning in burning feet syndrome.
- Hairfall: The paste of henna flowers 3-5 gms twice daily can be administered internally with water to prevent hairfall, itching of scalp and insomnia.
- Jaundice: 5 grams of henna plant boiled in 100ml of water and reduced to 1/4th . This decoction taken daily to treat jaundice.
- Fungal infection: Nail caused by Tinea unguium and conditions like Athleteʼs foot can be treated by applying fresh leaf paste over the affected area and bandaged.
- Dandruff: The oil prepared from the seeds and leaves of henna is used as an external application over the body to cure burning sensation, itching and dandruff. It also acts as a coolant.
Scientific name : Rubia cordifolia,
Family : Rubiaceae
- Assam : Phuvva
- Bengali : Manjistha, Manjith
- English : Indian Maddar
- Gujarati : Manjitha
- Hindi : Manjitha, Manjit
- Kannada : Manjustha
- Malayalam : Manjatti
- Marati : Manjihtha
- Punjabi : Manjistha, Manjit
- Tamil : Manjitte
- Telugu : Manjishtha
- Urdu : Majeeth
- Pimples and dark spots: Take 1 teaspoonful of Raktachandana, 1 teaspoonful of Manjishta powder, 5-7 drops of lemon juice and rose water. Mix all ingredients to form fine paste. Apply this paste over the face and let it dry for 20 minutes, wash off with cold water. This face pack used 2 times a week is beneficial.
- Chronic ulcers: 10gms Manistha in 200ml of water and decoction is made and used to wash the wounds in case of chronic wounds, non healing ulcers etc.
- Summer boils: 20-30 gram of coarse powder is soaked in 200- 300 ml of water and kept over night. Internal administration of this water in early morning on empty stomach. This is very effective in burning of the body (summer season and in menopausal period), blisters and boils.
- Skin diseases: 3gms Manjishta and 3gms Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus) in one cup of water , prepare a decoction in herbs are well known blood purifiers. Their combination cures several skin diseases very effectively.
- Burns: Manjistha, Teak wood tender leaves and red sandal wood are taken in equal quantity and processed in ghee or oil is used to apply over the burns and scalds. It pacifies burning, pain and reduces skin discoloration.
- Piles: Intake of 3gms of Manjishta root powder along with ghee twice a day is beneficial in Bleeding piles.
Scientific name : Piper nigrum
Family : Piperaceae
- Bengali : Golmorich, Kalamorich, Morich
- English : Black Pepper
- Gujarati : Kalimori
- Hindi : Kalimirch
- Kannada : Karimonaru, Menaru
- Malayalam : Kurumulaku
- Marati : Kalamiri
- Punjabi : Galmirich, Kalimirch
- Tamil : Milagu
- Telugu : Miriyalu, Marichamu
- Urdu : Filfil Siyah, Kalimirich
- Increase appetite: Intake of 1 tablespoonful of Jaggery mixed with 3gms of black pepper everyday before food is useful to increase the appetite.
- Indigestion: Mix equal quantities of black pepper, dry ginger, rock salt powders. Add 3gms of this mixture to a glass of buttermilk and consume it regularly to cure indigestion.
- Cold: 3 grams of Black Pepper, 3grams of dry Ginger, crushed 4 Cloves and a few Basil leaves in 100ml of water and boil the solution in low flame for 5-10min. While drinking mix 5ml of Lemon juice and Honey into the decoction and drink twice a day relieves the cold.
- Swollen Gums: The Pepper powder added in mustard oil and made a paste use to massage the teeth. Its frequent massage enables you to stay clean of the dental problems.
- Cholera: Take equal quantity of Black pepper Hing, Long pepper, dry ginger, rock salt and Camphor are grind well and create small pills (1/2 gm-1pill).Use one pill every half hour to avoid and manage Cholera.
- Nasal Block: Equal quantity of black pepper, Cardamom, Cumin seeds, Cinnamon are mix and grind into fine powder. Pinch of this fine powder, Sniff 3 to 4 times a day help in opening the nasal block.
- Seasonal allergy: Tea prepared with equal quantity of black pepper, liquorice root, cardamom seeds, basil and dry ginger must be taken warm a couple of times each day to alliavate seasonal allergy.
Scientific name : Teramnus labialis
Family : Fabaceae
- Bengali : Mashance, Bankalaai, Mashani
- English : Vogel-Tephrosis
- Gujarati : Banudad, Janglee, Adad
- Hindi : Mashvan, Banvdad, Mashoni
- Kannada : Kadu Uddu
- Malayalam : Katu Ulandu
- Marati : Ran Udid
- Punjabi : Jangali Urad
- Tamil : Kattu-Ulandu
- Telugu : Karuminum, Mashperniraphanu
- Sexual libido: Equal quantity of fried black gram and sesame powders are mixed well . 5 gms of this powder is mixed with a teaspoon of jaggery and taken daily along with milk, after food. This acts as a very good energizer. It is traditionally used as a tonic to improve sexual libido. This remedy can be continued for a period of 4 ‒ 6 weeks time and is not suitable for diabetic patients.
- Head lice: 30 gram of black gram seeds are cooked in 100 ml sesame oil for 10-15 min in low flame. Regularly applying this oil over the scalp to cure head lice.
- Joint pains: Black gram powder paste is made by adding little sesame oil. This paste is applied luke warm, over the joints to reduce the swelling as well as to relieve the pain. This remedy is useful in both rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- Generalized weakness: 20 gram of black gram is cooked with 100 ml of milk and later add sugar and it should be consumed during the evening hours. This serves as an energy drink and it improves the reproductive health in men and women.
- Constipation: Fried seeds of black gram (20grams) are made into fine powder. This is consumed along with 100ml of sour butter milk. This improves the bulk of the stool. It is specifically beneficial in those having improper bowel habit and irregular passage of the stool.
Source: Ayurveda offering Herbal healing