Psoriasis is a common chronic non-infectious inflammatory skin disease. It is characterized by erythematous sharply demarcated papules and rounded plaques covered by silvery micaceous scale. In Psoriasis, main abnormality is of increased epidermal proliferation due to excessive multiplication of cells in the basal layers. There are five types of Psoriasis -Plaque, Guttate, Inverse, Pustular and Erythrodermic. The most common type is Plaque Psoriasis in which red and white hues of scaly patches appears on the topmost layer of the epidermis which gives it a silvery white appearance. Psoriasis causes skin redness and irritation.
As per Ayurvedic concept, Kitibha is classified under Kshudra Kushtha. In Ayurveda the causative factors of skin disease are elaborately classified. Continued practice of Apathya Ahara and Vihara vitiates the dosha & dhatu and causes Kitibha.
The following are some interventions/ approaches based on CCRAS
research from published sources.
Patients having itching, burning sensation, irritation and skin findings with more erythema:
- 777 Oil -10 ml per day in two divided doses with milk.
- External Application of 777 Oil - apply the oil over the lesions after bath and expose to the early morning sun light for 5 to 10 minutes. The oil is left to remain on the body till the next day and the process is repeated daily.
In moderate psoriasis patients where only scaling of skin (Silvery skin) and itching are prominent:
- Nimbidin Capsule - lOOmg thrice a day. Nimbin is a compound isolated fromNimba (Azadirachta indica).
- External application -1 gm Nimbidin mixed with 100mg coconut oil.
- Panchanimba Lauha Chuma - 2gm twice a day for 3 months.
- Kamadudha Rasa -250mg twice a day for 3 months.
- Haridra Khanda -3gm twice a day for 3 months.
Psoriasis associated with bacterial and fungal infection:
- Kaishora Guggulu - 500mg-1000 mg twice a day.
Kanchnara Guggulu - 500mg-1000 mg twice a day.
Arogyavardhini Vati - 1 25mg-250mg twice a day.
All above said medicines should be given with Laghu
Manjishthadi Kwatha (Kwatha chuma 25gm to make decoction)
External application-Kajjalikodaya Malhara.
- Arogyavardhini Vati - 500mg thrice a day for 3 months.
Kaishora Guggulu Vati -1 gm thrice a day for 3 months.
External application - Chakramarda (Cassia tora) Taila thrice a day for 3 months.
Chronic and recurrent patients who do not respond to conservative treatment:
- Snehapana - Mahatiktaka Ghrita for 7 days.
- Swedana - Mridu Swedana for one day.
- Vamana - Mridu Vamana for a day.
- Samsarjana - Light diet.
Source : Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences