Siddha System & Epidemics / Pandemics
In the Siddha system, Epidemics/Pandemics are mentioned as “Uzhi Noi” or “Kothari Noi”. In general, they are classified under “KollaiNoikal”(Communicable Diseases) which are most commonly occurred the time of “Ayana Santhi” months (Means end a month of Uthara Ayanam & Thatchana Ayanam), fall on Adi and Margazhi month in Tamil Calendar. It is believed that in those days, the immunity of human beings will be low based on Mukkutram Theory.
- Drinking water- Herbal water infusion made up of half teaspoon of Chukku (Dried Ginger) / boiled in two liters of water can be used as drinking water.
- Inji thenooral / Inji (Ginger) Tea / Adhimaduram (Licorice) tea may be taken as hot beverages.
- Avoiding Milk at bedtime is advisable if needed for children to add a quarter teaspoonful of Manjal (Turmeric) with Milagu (Pepper).
- Steam inhalation – With Tulasi/ Nochi (Vitex negundo) leaves / Manjal (Turmeric)
- Gargling – water boiled with a pinch of Salt and Turmeric should be used not less than 3 times .
- All karappan pandam (allergic foodstuff) should be avoided in the diet.
- Diet may include Nandu kanji (Crab soup), Pancha mudichi kanji (5-grain gruel) and Irumurai vadittha kanji (double-cooked gruel).
- Environmental sanitation - Neem leaves fumigation is advocated
Anti-viral Siddha Formulation:
- Kaba Sura Kudineer - 60 ml twice a day after food
- NilaVembu Kudineer– 60 ml twice a day after food
- Visha Sura Kudineer- 60 ml Twice a day after food
- Pavala Parpam -100 mg twice a day with Honey
- Velli parpam - 50 to 100 mg twice a day with Honey
Anti-Viral Siddha herbs:
- Inji (Zingiber officinale): Injisurasam– 10 ml Once a day
- Thulasi (Ocimum sanctum): Thulasi Kudineer– 60 ml Twice a day
- Milaku (Piper nigrum): With Thulasi as Kudineer said above
- Karunjeerakam (Nigella sativa): Karunjeeraka Chooranam1gm BD
- Keezhanelli (Phyllanthus niruri): Keezhanellisamoolam– 2gm Twice a day
- Athimadhuram (Glycyrrhiza glabra): Athimadhura Chooranam- 1 gm BD
- Vellaipoondu (Allium sativum): Poonduthaen
- Cittra mutti (Sida cordifolia): Cittramutti Kudineer-30 ml Twice a day
- Seenthil (Tinospora cordifolia): Seenthil Chooranam– 1gm Twice a day
- Manjal (Curcuma longa)
- Elumitchai (Citrus limonia) Volatile oil
- Vembu (Azadirachta indica)
Immunity enhancers specific to respiratory care
Details of Siddha medicines for Boosting Immunity
- Korai kizhangukarpam
- Thoothuvelai Karpam
||It can be taken along with regular food.
|1 -2 tablets, with water, thrice a day
|Leaves grind with boiled rice flour
||1-2 gm, With Ghee Twice a day.
||1-2 gm, With Honey, Ghee or Hot water, twice a day.
- Vallari choorana
|2-4 tablets, with hot water, twice a day.
||50mg (Depend upon the age group)
||Internal for Children
||1-2 gam, with honey, hot water or milk, twice a day.
||2-4 gm, twice a day
Ennai muzhukku :
For More Details Click_Here.
Rationale behind selected treatments
In Siddha System, the Diseases are raised based on the derangement of Mukkutram. Usually, Thottru Noigal (communicable diseases) associated with Aiya kutram (Respiratory related Illness), are gets affected due to its Sthiram gunam (stability factor). In Guru Naadiquoted, Thottru Noigal generally caused by Kirumi(Pathogens). The symptoms are due to Noiyinan vanmai (Immunity of individual), if it is good, he/she will not be affected. So, the Medicines are used to neutralize the Aiya kutram.
Other general measures for the control of fever and respiratory illness
General hygiene & sanitation measures are to be continued.
- Padigara Neer for Handwash
- Turmeric water washes for sanitizing hands and legs.
Fumigation of the house every evening with Kungiliyam (Shorea robusta), Sambrani (Styrax benzoin), Manjal (Curcuma longa), Vembu (Azadirachtaindica) are advocated
Isolation & Quarantine of elderly people who are vulnerable. Stress management is very essential among the subjects under isolation /quarantine.
- The Yogam practices such as Naadi sutthi Pranayamam as given in Thirumoolar Thirumanthiram Literature will help to increase the elasticity of bronchioles as well as rejuvenate the lung tissues.
- Pranayamam, Naadi suthi pranayamam, Suriya namaskaram, Savasanam, Makarasanam, Meenasanam, Artha meenasanam.
- Thivalai Kalam, Adapa Kalam, Kavuli Kalam, Mudichu Varmam, Sakthi Varmam, and other energizing Varmam points are advised for selfstimulation
- Coarse powder of coriander seeds with palm jiggery made as a decoction and can be taken in the morning.
- Take 500 mg of powdered Amukkara with milk or Hotwater.
- Advised to take oil bath twice a week with medicated oils like Karisalai Thailam, Santhanathy Thailam.
- Foods can be easily digestible should be advocated
- Plenty of Boiled Water Intake
- Take lemon juice daily
- Barley gruel, Panchamutti kanji gruel, Raggi gruel
- Rasam with pepper and jeera, star anise and cinnamon, Ginger and Garlic
- Daily green smoothie like Avaraipinju (Broad beans), KathaiPinju (Brinjal), Murungai (Moringa Leaves)to improve prebiotics in Gut and for detoxification
- As above with diet for co-morbidities, like Low Glycemic index and Low Glycemic diet
Source : Ministry of AYUSH