Unani medicine based Preventive Measures for self-care during COVID-19 Pandemic
In the wake of current spike in COVID-19 cases, enhancing the body’s natural defense system (immunity) is important in maintaining optimum health.
The CCRUM, Ministry of Ayush recommends the following self-care guidelines modified as per the available evidence for improving immunity.
- Maintain social distancing
- Use of face mask
- Wash hands frequently with soaps and water / sanitizer.
- Use tissue paper while sneezing/ coughing dispose it in trash
- Avoid contact with sick people especially suffering with flu like symptoms
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- Avoid visiting overcrowded places like market, etc
- Avoid journey as far as possible
- Avoid cold weather, use of cold water, bathing with cold water, ice or any cold substances
- Patient may be isolated in separate room. Clothes, utensils and other things used by the patients may be kept separately
- Special care of vulnerable population like elderly people, pregnant women and people having co-morbid conditions such as hypertension and diabetes mellitus.
Unani Immunity Promoting Measures
- Take Khamira Marwareed 5 gm or Take Tiryaqe Arba 3-5 gm (Diabetics may avoid).
- Prepare AYUSH Joshanda (decoction) by boiling Raihan / Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) leaves 4 parts, Dar Chini / Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) stem bark 2 parts, Zanjabeel / Adrak (Zingiber officinale) rhizome 2 parts, Filfil Siyah / Kali Mirch (Piper nigrum) fruit 1 part in 250 ml water until it reduces to half. Add jaggery or lemon juice into decoction for taste and take sips in evening or as and when required.
Take decoction by boiling Behidana (Cydonia oblonga) 3 gm, Unnab (Zizyphus jujube) 5 in number. Sapistan (Cordia myxa) 9 in number in water. (Boil these in 250 ml water- boil it till it remains half- filter it — keep in a glass bottle and use it lukewarm). This decoction may be taken twice a day for 14 days.
- Take Safoof Asgandh 5 gm (not recommended for children)
Simple Unani Procedures may be followed
- Steam inhalation by adding Arq-e-Ajeeb 2-5 drops once daily
- Gargle with pulp of 10-20 gm Khayar shamber (Cassia fistula) boiled in 100 ml of water
- Fumigation (Bakhoor) of the house/working place at frequent intervals with combination of Sandal (Santalum album) and Kafoor (Cinnamomum camphora)
* These measures are generally meant for self-care as well as immune enhancement. It is strongly advised that if a person develops any symptoms he or she should immediately consult the physician.
The above measures can be followed to the extent possible as per an individual’s convenience.
Source : Ministry of AYUSH
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.