Kitchen remedies in primary health care
Haridra (Curcuma longa) - Turmeric
- Cuts and wounds: Application of turmeric powder on the bleeding wounds prevents infection and stop bleeding.
- Conjunctivitis: A pinch of turmeric powder mixed with table spoon of luke warm water and is strained. Drops are put with 2 to 3 hours interval.
- Hoarseness and sore throat: 2 teaspoon full turmeric powder in a cup of milk boiled and taken 3 to 4 times a day.
- Acne: A pinch of turmeric powder with mentha juice can be applied.
- Stuffy nose: Dry turmeric tuber is burnt and the fumes are inhaled.
Palanduh (Allium cepa) - Onion
- Cold and catarrh: 1 to 2 tsp equal parts of onion & ginger juice full with honey.
- Gingivitis (gum problems): Oninon juice + common salt can be applied in and out side of gums.
- Hic-cup: 1 or 2 drops onion juice into nostrils.
- Digestion: Onion juice + common salt.
- Ear ache: 1 or 2 drops luke warm onion juice into ears.
Lashunam (Allium sativum) - Garlic
- Cold and catarrh: Crushed garlic are added to a glass of milk and is taken 2 or 3 times daily.
- Skin diseases: Garlic boiled in mustard oil can be applied.
- Scars due to burns and scalds: Garlic juice can be applied.
- Unconsciousness: Put 1 or 2 drops of garlic juice into nostrils.
- Joint pains: Oil prepared with garlic can be applied over the painful joints.
Dhanyakam (Coriandrum sativum) - Coriander
- Sore throat: Coriander juice is taken 1 to 2 tsp.
- Cold and catarrh: 1 to 2 tsp coriander powder + sugar, 2 to 3 times daily.
- Vomiting in pregnancy: Decoction of coriander seeds with honey.
- Digestion: Coriander seeds with dry ginger decoction.
- Fevers: Coriander seeds immersed in water overnight, the water can be given with sugar.
Methica (Trigonella foenum-graecum) - Fenugreek
- Abdominal pain: 1 tsp full seed powder with butter milk.
- Abscess: The seed mixed with wheat and is made into powder or paste by adding water and is applied over the abscess.
- Cracks in the feet: The seed and henna leaves are made into paste and applied.
- Loose motions: 1 tsp full seed powder mixed with fresh curd, taken 2 or 3 time a day.
- Diabetes: 1 tsp full seeds immersed in water over night and next morning the seeds and water is taken.
Sarshapa (Brassica juncea) - Indian mustard
- Dental problems: Seed powder + normal salt powder applied on teeth and gums.
- Cough: Seed powder with honey. Cosmetic - Seeds are boiled in milk and dried and powdered, the paste is applied over the skin.
- Inflammations and swellings: The seed and vach (Acorus calamus) are made into paste and applied over the swelling.
- Bed wetting: 1 tsp seed powder with jaggery daily 1 hour before going to bed for 1 month.
Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum) - Cumin
- Fever: 2 teaspoons of cumin seed powder + water a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Cold and head ache: Cuminum seed, turmeric powder and jaggery are made into powder and kept in a cloth and inhaled.
- Loss of appetite: 1 tsp cumin seeds immersed in ginger juice can be taken.
- Loose motions: 1 to 2 tsp roasted cumin seed powder with ghee, twice a day.
Yavanika (Carum copticum) - Ajwain
- Skin diseases: The seed is mixed with lemon juice and is made into paste can be applied over the skin.
- Cold and catarrh: Roasted seeds wrapped in a cloth and inhaled.
- Earache: 1 or 2 drop seed juice into ears.
- Dental problems: Paste of seeds and common salt can be applied on teeth and gums.
- Bad odors in the mouth: 1 or 2 tsp kept in the mouth will act as refreshner.
Maricham (Piper nigrum) - Pepper
- Cold: Pepper powder with jaggery and curd.
- Cough: Pepper powder with honey.
- Stings and bites: Pepper rubbed with onion juice can be applied over the bite.
- Skin diseases: Pepper powder with honey can be applied. The paste of pepper with tulasi juice can be applied.
- Sore throat: Pepper powder with honey, or the paste of pepper with tulasi juice can be applied.
Ardrakum (Zingiber officinale) - Ginger
- Indigestion: 2tsp fresh ginger + normal salt.
- Skin diseases: 2tsp fresh ginger paste + jaggery daily internally.
- Allergic rash: 2tsp fresh ginger + tulasi juice internally.
- Cough: Fresh ginger juice + honey
- Jaundice: 2tsp ginger juice + nela usiri juice, twice a day
Hingu (Ferula assa-foetida) – Asafoetida
- Intestinal worms: 2tsp fried hing + jiggery
- Stings and bites: Hing + onion paste is applied
- Indigestion: Hing can be added daily in curries
Method of administration of herbs
The parts of herbs collected should be clean and fresh. In case of dried materials, the leaves & flowers should be dried under shade and other parts i.e. roots, bark, fruits, seeds, etc. are dried under direct sun light and are stored properly.
Juice and paste should not be stored for long time.
Source: Telangana State Medical Plants Board
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.