Obesity is most commonly caused by a combination of excessive food intake, lack of physical activity, and genetic susceptibility. A few cases are caused primarily by genes, endocrine disorders, medications, or mental illness. On average, obese people have a greater energy expenditure than their thin counterparts due to the energy required to maintain an increased body mass.
Simple Management of Obesity in Siddha
- Take soaked dry grapes at morning
- Take milk boiled garlic daily.
- Take raw onion daily.
- Drink soaked horse gram water.
- Honey – take honey with hot water in empty stomach at morning
- Take lemon juice with green tea.
- Take Dry powder of Seenthil (Tinospora) climber with hot water
- Wash 7 times the gel of aloe and take it.
- Take turmeric powder with hot water
Yoga for Athithoolam - Obesity
- Padahastasanam (Standing Forward Bend Pose)
- Trikonasanam (Triangle Pose)
- Garudasanam (Eagle Pose)
- ArdhaChandrasanam (Half Moon Pose)
- Utkatasanam (Chair Pose)
- Chakrasanam( Wheel Pose)
- Villasanam-Dhanurasanam (Bow Pose)
- Shalabhasanam (Locust Pose)
- Naukasanam (Boat Pose)
- Pawanmuktasanam (Wind-Releasing Pose)
- ArdhaMatsyendrasanam (Half-Fish Pose)
- Vakrasanam (Half Spinal Twist Pose)
- Bhujangasanam (Cobra Pose)
- Paschimottanasanam (Seated Forward Bend)
- Sarvangasanam (Shoulderstand)
- Kalappaiasanam-Halasanam (Plow Pose)
- SetuBandhasanam (Bridge Pose)
- Virabhadrasanam I (Warrior Pose)
- Benefits: Delay ageing, Body becomes flexible with the waist slim Acts on shoulder, upperlimb, knees, abdomen, neck and lower limbs
- Method: Lie down on the back with the feet on the ground, close to the buttocks. The palms are placed on the ground below the shoulders. The body is then raised gradually and slowly till attaining the shape of an arch. Body should be brought down to initial stage.
- Waist become slender
- Increase the flexibility of spines
Lie down on the abdomen with stretched legs, hands placed beside the chest on the ground. Lift the body upward from the umbilicus above the ground which resembles cobra snake for few minutes. Slowly come back to initial stage.
Precaution: Avoid in hernia problems
Improves digestion and appetite improves the functioning of pancreas, liver, enzyme producing organs, kidney and intestines. Helpful in stimulating the reproductive organs.
- Lie down on the abdomen.
- Fold your both knees and hold the legs just above the ankles by both the hands.
- Breathing in, lift your chest off the ground and pull your legs up and back
- Look straight ahead .In this position your whole weight will come on your abdomen
- Hold this position for few seconds and continue taking a deep breath.
- Exhale slowly and come back to starting position.
- Avoid practicing dhanurasanam during high blood pressure, back pain, hernia, headache, migraine and abdominal surgery.
- It cures acidity Indigestion and Constipation, good for all abdominal organs.
- Helpful for arthritis pain and heart problems.
- Strengthens back muscle and cures back pain.
- Gives flat stomach.
- Beneficial for reproductive organ and for menstruation disorder.
- Lie flat on your back and keep the legs straight and breath deeply.
- Inhale slowly and lift the legs and bend in the knee. Bring upwards to the chest till your thigh touches to stomach
- Hug your knees in place and lock your fingers.
- Try to touch the knee with your nose tip. Hold this position for few seconds.
- Now exhale slowly and come back to the initial position.
- Avoid this asanam in high blood pressure, Slip disc, gastritis, pregnancy and menstruation.
Siddha principles and lifestyle management for longevity
- Serve food with love and affection
- Consume food only if hungry
- Always consume boiled, water diluted buttermilk and melted ghee
- Never consume food cooked on the previous day
- Avoid curd in dinner
- Take only cow’s milk at night
- Do have a short walk after dinner
- Don’t walk in polluted areas
- Don’t sleep during daytime
- Never indulge in immoral sexual activities.
- Don’t hold nature’s call like urination, defaecation for longer time
- Take oil bath in warm water once in four days
- Always give respect to your parents and teachers
- Siddhar Theriayar
Source : National Institute of Siddha