Oral and dental health is of utmost importance for all in society. There are all kinds of possibilities that oral health will lead to a healthy life. The following suggestions will guide you to excellent oral health.
Gums: Pink means healthy
Your gums (gingivae) surround your teeth to help hold them in place. To keep your gums healthy, practice good oral hygiene — brush your teeth at least twice a day, floss your teeth once a day and schedule regular dental visits. If your gums become red and swollen or bleed easily, they may be infected. This is known as gingivitis. Prompt treatment can help restore good oral health. Left untreated, gingivitis may progress to severe gum disease (periodontitis) and possible tooth loss.
Brushing for oral health
Oral health begins with clean teeth. Consider these brushing basics.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day: When you brush, don't rush. Take enough time to do a thorough job.
- Use the proper toothpaste and tooth brush: Use fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Practice good technique: Hold your toothbrush at a slight angle against your teeth and brush with short back-and-forth motions. Remember to brush the inside and chewing surfaces of your teeth, as well as your tongue. Avoid vigorous or harsh scrubbing, which can irritate your gums.
- Replacing tooth brush: Invest in a new toothbrush every three to four months — or sooner if the bristles become frayed
General tips for oral health
- Always use a soft bristle brush
- Rinse your mouth after every meal
- Floss in between the teeth to remove the embedded food particles
- Eat sugar free chewing gum in case of dry mouth to stimulate the salivary flow
- Eat hard nuts to stimulate the salivary flow and to exercise the muscles of mastication
- Use pea size amount of tooth paste in cases of infants and encourage them to spit the paste after brushing
- Always use the alcohol free mouth wash as the mouth wash with alcohol leads to xerostomia (dry mouth)
- Use a tongue cleaner to make sure that it stays clean
- Halitosis is just an example of a condition that can be triggered by a bacteria-ridden tongue Use tooth brushes also to clean the tongue
- Those who are missing teeth can look into dental implants
- They will work to help support crowns or bridges that will provide a wholesome look and are a solution for gaps of missing teeth
- Those with teeth that are worn out, you can consider different enhancements that will make all the difference
- Crowns will work to provide the original shape of a tooth and there are many options with implants
- Finally, smoking is detrimental to oral health and apart from facilitating discoloration of teeth; smoking can be the source of other health problems that are grave
Natural remedies for tooth-ache
Many of us sometimes experience sudden toothache, and it is very important to know how to reduce it in a safe natural way. There are number of natural herbal painkillers, such as mustard, black pepper or garlic, which can be effectively used to relief toothache. Below, you can find the tips on what to do and how to treat toothache naturally
- Clove oil is considered to be one of the most effective herbal remedies for toothache. Mix clove oil with a pinch of black pepper powder, place to the affected tooth area.
- Mustard oil is another natural option to alleviate toothache. Mixed with a pinch of salt, mustard oil should be massaged into affected gum area.
- Several drops of lemon juice can alleviate toothache.
- It is possible to effectively alleviate toothache by placing a slice of fresh onion on the affected gum or tooth area.
- You can prepare homemade mouth washes using such herbal remedies form toothache as calendula (Calendula officinalis), myrrh (Commiphora myrrha) and sage (Salvia officinalis). Other useful medicinal herbs include basil, marjoram and asafoetida.
- To calm down toothache it is possible to use usual ice cubes, applied from the outside.
- If you are affected by sudden toothache, strictly avoid all too hot, too cold and sweet foods as they will irritate your aching tooth.
- You should be careful about your diet, eat mostly vegetables, fruit, cereal and so on. Avoid junk food.
© 2006–2019 C–DAC.All content appearing on the vikaspedia portal is through collaborative effort of vikaspedia and its partners.We encourage you to use and share the content in a respectful and fair manner. Please leave all source links intact and adhere to applicable copyright and intellectual property guidelines and laws.