Ingredients: Sorghum flour – ½ cup, pearl millet – ½ cup; cooked - carrot, potatoes and peas – as required.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough int o 4 equal portions and roll out using a little sorghum flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick pan and cook each roti, using ½ tsp of ghee or oil, till golden brown sports appear on both the sides.
- Serve with any curry or chutney.
Mixed Millet Paniyaram (ponganalu) – Sweet & Spicy
Ingredients: Sorghum – ½ cup, little millet – ½ cup, foxtail millet – ½ cup, barnyard millet – ½ cup, pearl millet – ½ cup, , parboiled rice – ½ cup, black gram d a l – 1 cup , jaggery – ½ c u p , fenu greek – 3 tsp and oil – for shallow frying.
- Soak all the ingredients for 2 hours .
- Drain them and grind it int o a smooth batter and ferment for 4 hours .
- Take the required amount of batter add melted jaggery.
- Heat paniyaram pan on low medium flame and add 1 tsp of oil in every well.
- Pour sweet paniyaram batter t o the ¾ of the well, and cover the lid for 1 minute on lo w flame and flip the each paniyaram with the help of skewer or wooden stick.
- After it gets cooked take out from the well and keep it in bowl.
- Serve it hot and spicy paniyaram can also be made by adding veggies with tempering.
Ingredients: Sorghum– ½ cup, pearl millet – ½ cup, foxtail millet – ½ cup, finger millet – ½ cup, kabuli channa – ¼ cup; chat masala, onion, tomatoes, green chilli, salt, and roasted cumin powder– as required.
- Wash and soak the millets and kabuli channa in enough water over night.
- Pressure cook them in medium heat till two whistles.
- Rinse the cooked millets and saute the mona low flame in little oil by stirring often.
- Add the chopped onion, tomatoes, green chili, salt, roasted cumin powder and chat masala and mix well.
- Serve millet bhel in individual bowls or plates. If needed sprinkle few drops of lemon juice on each serving topped with chopped coriander leaves.
Ingredients: Sorghum– ½ cup, little millet – ½ cup, foxtail millet – ½ cup, barnyard millet – ½ cup, pearl millet – ½ cup, rajma – ½ cup; finely chopped onions, capsicum, ginger, cilantro and shredded carrot, potato, corn, bread crumbs and salt – as required.
- Wash and soak millets in enough water for 5-10 minutes.
- Boil the drained millet in 1.5 cups of water and cook in medium heat for 5-7 minutes till all the millets are cooked.
- In a processor or blender, mash cooked vegetables and add cooked millet and rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Then divide the mixture into small ball sized portions and flat it between palms.
- Heat a tawa/griddle, smear with oil once it is hot and shallow fry patties by flipping on both sides.
- Serve the delicious millet patties with ketchup or chutney.
Multi Millet Khakra
Ingredients: Sorghum flour – 25 g, pearl millet flour – 25 g, finger millet flour – 25 g, foxtail millet flour – 25 g, bengal gram flour – 25 g, black gram flour – 25 g, salt – 3 g, coriander powder – 2 g, garam masala powder– 2 g and water - 30 ml.
- Boil water and add all the above ingredients together by adding water.
- Make in to dough and roll in to small balls.
- Make the balls into small rotis.
- Bake them in roti baker, baking on both sides.
- Cool them and store.
Ingredients: Millet rawa - 3 cups, black gram dal - 1 cup, salt – as desired.
- Millet rawa and black gram dal are taken separately andsoaked in water for 3 hrs.
- Black gram dal is then grinded in a wet grinder until it becomes a soft batter.
- Water is drained out from the soaked millet rawa and is mixed with the soft batter.
- The mixture is mixed thoroughly and allowed to ferment for 2 hr.
- After that little salt is added to the batter for taste and idlis are steamed in idli steamer.
- Idli are cooked till they get soft texture and served hot with chutney.
Ingredients: Sorghum rawa - 1/2 cup, pearl millet flour - 1/4 cup, finger millet flour - 1/4 cup, sugar - 3/4 cup, coconut powder, dry fruits, ghee, cardamon powder and milk - as required.
- Heat ghee in a pan and roast sorghum rawa, pearl millet flour and finger millet flour till nice aroma comes.
- Roast chopped dry fruits in ghee.
- Add cardamon powder and sugar powder to the roasted ingredients.
- Add warm milk or ghee and cook till all the mixture gathers together, make lemon size ball and serve .
Mixed Millet Fried Milk
Ingredients : Milk-800g, Sugar-40g, Butter -80g, Corn flour-200g, Almond-40g,Millet rawa-100g, Bread powder-80g, Eggs -4.
- Mix granulated sugar along with millet rawa, corn flour in 3quart sauce pan.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling over medium flame wile stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir for a minute; remove from flame.
- Stir in butter.
- Spread evenly in ungreased square baking dish (8*8*2 inches).
- Refrigerate uncovered at least 1 hour until firm.
- Cut custard into 2 inch squares, using wet knife.
- Dip custard squares into eggs, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil (1 to 1/2 inches depth in pan) to 360o F; fry 2 or 3 squares at a time in oil 1 to 2 minutes or until light brown; drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Mixed Millet Chhena Poda
Ingredients: Milk-100g, Millet rawa -100g, Sugar -20g, Khova -60g, Baking powder - 2g, Ghee - 20g, Elaichi powder-2g, Almond and Cashew-20g, Lemon - 1, Chocolate-40g.
- Grease baking pan with some ghee.
- Preheat oven at 180o C for 15 minutes.
- Take fresh khova and crumble it very well.
- Mix sugar, and khova and make like chapatti dough.
- Add milk to this mixture.
- Add cardamom powder, millet rawa baking powder, soya flour, chocolate, almond and cashew nuts, mix well.
- Pour this mixture in the greased pan. Shake the pan gently so that the this mixture spreads evenly. Level the top with spatula.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake this for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once done.
- Check if its baked inside with the help of a toothpick. There should be no sticky batter on the toothpick.
- Leave it for cooling the pan itself then remove it.
- Serve chhena poda as dessert or as a sweet snack.
Mixed Millet Lotti Choco Pie
Ingredients: Millet Flour-50g, Maida - 50g, Sugar Powder-25g, Honey - 3tsp, Baking powder - 2g, Fresh Cream -50g, Vanilla essence - 5ml, Milk-150ml, Eggs-1.
- Beat eggs and mix with all the above ingredients exceptchocolate and make batter.
- Heat pan, pour 1tsp, oil and pour batter to make pan cakes.
- Apply melted chocolate on one pan cake and put another pan cake on this.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Mixed Millet Mirchi Bhajji
Ingredients : Millet flour -100g, Besan -80g, Rice flour -50g, Soda -2g, Ajwain -5g, Salt -for taste.
- Thoroughly wash chilies and make a long slit length wise,dessed and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Mix jowar flour, pearl millet flour, Foxtail millet, Besan, salt, soda, turmeric, red chili powder ginger garlic paste and ajwain thoroughly.
- Add water little by little to get the right consistency not thin and not too thick.
- Deep fry them in the oil till it turns golden brown.
- Serve them with some hot sauce or ketchup.
Mixed Millet chocolate Truffle Laddu
Ingredients: Millet flour-25g, White chocolate- 50g, Coconut powder-20g, Butter-10g.
- Roast millet flour.
- Melt white chocolate and butter together then add coconut powder to it and mix it.
- Add roasted millet flour and make laddus.
Millet Recipes - IIMR, Hyderabad
Millet Recipes - Department of Agriculture, Karnataka